What to plug into my new 20A line...... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By Leeliemix
  • 2 Post By DanPackMan
  • 1 Post By mtbdudex
  • 1 Post By Ratman
  • 2 Post By Ratman
  • 1 Post By Ratman
  • 1 Post By bigguyca
  • 1 Post By 355F1
  • 2 Post By m. zillch

post #1 of 21 Old 11-23-2019, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 60
What to plug into my new 20A line......

New build almost done.

I am scared of noise as I have under-cabinet lighting, dimmers, DC-type ceiling fans in the same room.

I had a dedicated 20A line put in for the living area.

Equipment is:

82 or 85 inch Samsung LCD TV
Marantz AV-7705 Pre/Pro
Parasound A51 running main 5 channels
Parasound A21 Running a pair of Energy RC-70's in Zone 2 in my home office
Parasound 2125 v.2 running a pair of Energy RC-70's in Zone 3 in my bedroom
Outlaw Audio 5000 for atmos
Dual 12" Monoprice Monolith Subwoofers

What is the best method for plugging all of this gear into my wall?

Plug the pre-pro and Main amp into the 20A line? The rest into the regular 15A wall outlets?

Use a 20A power strip to connect all gear into the 20A line?

I'm trying to lessen the chances of any noise in the system and make sure the high-current gear gets enough juice from the wall.

😎It's just life, dude. We are all gonna die sometime--Might as well try and have a kickass time while we're still here.😜
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-24-2019, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Might be best to try all of them on the same new 20A, if any problems find out which and try that on the old while most on new.
You can play around a bit also to see if you hear any difference with just the main 2 channels + pre on 20A. Or just the TV on the old. Im not an expert on this so thought id help get the ball rolling but my impression is that what works great for one might not be optimal for another, just depends on each setup.

Nice setup , a little similar to mine (av8805 and a31, had av7005 before)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
355F1 likes this.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-24-2019, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
im in the same boat, except i ran 2 seperate 20amp lines last weekend because why not, so im thinking of plugging the sensitive equipment, the emotiva pre/pro and pioneer uhd player into one line, all the amps into the 2nd line and the tv and other players, dvr into the exisiting 15amp line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 11-24-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelbarchuk View Post
im in the same boat, except i ran 2 seperate 20amp lines last weekend because why not, so im thinking of plugging the sensitive equipment, the emotiva pre/pro and pioneer uhd player into one line, all the amps into the 2nd line and the tv and other players, dvr into the exisiting 15amp line.
That sounds reasonable.
post #5 of 21 Old 11-24-2019, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 123
One 20amp isn’t cutting it imo. Heck my paradigm 12” sub manual recommends a dedicated 20 amp circuit for it alone .
I am doing something a little unconventional.
Installing 3 outlets in the wall, but the 12 gauge from the outlets goes below to the basement where they will be plugged into power conditioners .
I may end up only using one power conditioner for the pre pro and Oled , and dedicate a 20 amp circuit to my amp and another for the sub , as I’m worried about starving the amp and sub from current going threw a power conditioner .
Will see when the time comes and some testing

LG OLED65B7P.
Anthem AVM60 , Anthem MCA525 .
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD player .
Paradigm Studio CC690 V5 centre channel , Studio 100 V5’s front and rear . Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofer
post #6 of 21 Old 11-27-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Unless you have really big power amps or an old projection TV, I would plug everything into a single outlet strip (distribution box). Reducing the total length of AC cords from component to component is always a good thing.

Kevin
post #7 of 21 Old 11-27-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Don't worry about noise unless you hear it.
Ratman and m. zillch like this.
post #8 of 21 Old 11-29-2019, 10:34 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 50
If it were my build, I would install multiple receptacles in the wall, depending on how many outlets I need (one standard duplex receptacle has two outlets). I did that in my basement room and found that one 4-plex plus 2 duplex weren't enough! Whether you run two or more separate circuits is up to you, but don't plan to put any receptacles in other rooms on that (those) same circuits, especially one into which someone might plug a vacuum cleaner or other noise-generating appliance! LED lights with dimmers are especially noisy!
post #9 of 21 Old 12-01-2019, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Would it be safe to use this and plug everything except the TV into it?

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Ou.../dp/B000L4D3UO

I’ve always had Monster Power Stage 4 or 3 power centers but I can’t find anything with a 20A rating for my new build.

I have always been of the mindset to have surge protectors on all equipment even though I’ve never had a power surge.

Should I look into having a whole house surge protector installed?

This is my first time with a 20A plug so I am lost here.

😎It's just life, dude. We are all gonna die sometime--Might as well try and have a kickass time while we're still here.😜
post #10 of 21 Old 12-01-2019, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post

I’ve always had Monster Power Stage 4 or 3 power centers but I can’t find anything with a 20A rating for my new build.

I have always been of the mindset to have surge protectors on all equipment even though I’ve never had a power surge.

umm, don't pay Price: $68.14 for a simple 6-plug strip, that's just stealing.

Look at this instead for 20A if you want
https://www.amazon.com/Furman-PL-PRO...sr=1-1-catcorr
  • Isolated outlet banks minimize inter-component interference and noise contamination
  • 20 Amp rating featuring a high inrush magnetic circuit breaker for added protection
  • Perfect for instrument rigs, home recording, DJ equipment, pro audio rigs and home entertainment systems
  • 20 amp conditioner with 20 amp NEMA
355F1 likes this.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 12-01-2019 at 02:46 AM.
post #11 of 21 Old 12-01-2019, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
umm, don't pay Price: $68.14 for a simple 6-plug strip, that's just stealing.

Look at this instead for 20A if you want
https://www.amazon.com/Furman-PL-PRO...sr=1-1-catcorr
  • Isolated outlet banks minimize inter-component interference and noise contamination
  • 20 Amp rating featuring a high inrush magnetic circuit breaker for added protection
  • Perfect for instrument rigs, home recording, DJ equipment, pro audio rigs and home entertainment systems
  • 20 amp conditioner with 20 amp NEMA
So this will cost me $300 more than the Power Strip. Is this the only real option? If so I am fine with spending the money.

Do I need to buy this immediately? It looks like its $579 almost everywhere except for some BF pricing at $369.

And will this provide full current to my Parasound amps? I don't want them being limited.

Last edited by 355F1; 12-01-2019 at 07:16 AM.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-01-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 2279
Perhaps something like this with a simple power strip?

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-7380-.../dp/B0039UUMVA
355F1 likes this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #13 of 21 Old 12-01-2019, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Well that's what I am trying to seek help with.

I thought this thread would elicit more replies.

I have one 20A dedicated line, the walls are already up and I move in Jan 9th.

All of the LED lighting in the home is on dimmers, so I am scared of noise.

I had originally had the 20A line put in simply for the Parasound A51 and A21 (A21 is Only used in Zone 3 music), and I was going to plug everything else into the regular outlets with a power center.

So I just don't know now...

I just want to reduce the chance of any ground loop hums, etc.

Either way I am going to need to buy some power strip/conditioner because I don't have enough wall outlets. Could even do something used like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Furman-Elit...r/383173687619

Last edited by 355F1; 12-01-2019 at 07:20 AM.
post #14 of 21 Old 12-01-2019, 08:11 AM

Personally... I'd not panic and make an informed decision once you move in and get things hooked up. Why fix something or go to unnecessary expense before you even determine if there's an issue?

Need more outlets? Just get an inexpensive power strip for starters and go from there.

Just my opinion.
Jonas2 and 355F1 like this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #15 of 21 Old 12-01-2019, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Personally... I'd not panic and make an informed decision once you move in and get things hooked up. Why fix something or go to unnecessary expense before you even determine if there's an issue?

Need more outlets? Just get an inexpensive power strip for starters and go from there.

Just my opinion.
BUt the issue is that I NEED somethingf to increase the amount of plugs, and to protect from surges.

So I have to do SOMETHING.

post #16 of 21 Old 12-02-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
BUt the issue is that I NEED somethingf to increase the amount of plugs, and to protect from surges.

My suggestion above will be just fine.

Quote:

Or... spend hundreds. Get a whole home surge protector if you think you need it. Power conditioner, UPS, etc.

Just trying to suggest to start low and slow.
355F1 likes this.

post #17 of 21 Old 12-03-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Quote:

Independent of your other questions, a whole house surge protector is a great idea.

For guidance on this, the 2020 version of the National Electric Code requires whole house surge protectors in or very close to the service entrance panel in NEW houses. FYI, no retrofit is required in existing structures.

Various in-panel and next-to-panel whole house surge protection devices are available from Eaton and Square D among others for around $100. Here is an example of a low cost option from Eaton:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-BR...-306372985-_-N
Speedskater likes this.
post #18 of 21 Old 12-03-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Independent of your other questions, a whole house surge protector is a great idea.
And then add a simple power strip for the additional/needed receptacles.

post #19 of 21 Old 12-03-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Quote:

SurgeX makes the best surge protectors, but new, they are expensive. Here is an excellent in-depth article, that includes a teardown, on one of the SurgeX products:

https://www.tomshardware.com/picture...tear-down.html

You'll note the heavy duty construction of the SurgeX product in the article, which is great, because that makes use of used SurgeX units practical.

Don't consider SurgeX products like Defender or Next Gen. They appear to be a different design.

Here are thoughts on two alternatives:

o SurgeX SX1115RT

This is a 15A surge protector with over and under voltage protection and surge protection. The surge protection essentially removes everything over 170V or so volts peak. 170V peak is the peak voltage of a 120V sine wave. The teardown article describes some of this.

This surge protection appears to also remove the spikes and the like from light dimmers, ECM motors, and other sources of line disruption. Most of the design is covered by patents that expire in 2025 so SurgeX is really the only source of protection at this level. The protection is series mode so none of the nasties are shunted to the ground conductor.

If you have a 20A outlet available then you can also consider a SX1120RT. These are essentially the same as the 15A units, but are available used in larger numbers at about the same price.

o SurgeX Flatpack SA-82

This unit has overvoltage protection and the same type of surge protection as described above. It has two outlets and a current limit of 8 amps. As described in the teardown above of a SurgeX product, this item is overbuilt with 12 gauge, 600V boat wire, for example.

Two of the SA-82 units would take up two 120V, 15A outlets and provide 4 protected outlets. The power cord is removable from an SA82 so a shorter or longer cord can be purchased from say Monoprice to make for a neater installation or provide service to equipment in separate locations. A shielded power cord can also be used, which may provide benefits if signal cables are located within a few inches of the power cord; draping down the back of a rack or on the floor, for example.

To find used units, go to eBay, search for SurgeX, sort with highest prices first and start at units around $150 around page 4 and go down in price you'll find some good opportunities, even at $100 or less for either the SX or SA units. The units made in North Carolina are newer than the units made in Pennsylvania (New Frontier Electronics) although it isn't clear this makes a lot of difference.
post #20 of 21 Old 12-03-2019, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your help.

Trying to find a non-expensive option I decided to try one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Found one used on eBay for $100.

Thanks, @mtbdudex !

It gives me enough outlets and surge protection.

I feel good about this $100 spent.
mtbdudex likes this.

post #21 of 21 Old 12-04-2019, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5544 Post(s)
Liked: 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
Don't worry about noise unless you hear it.
Correct.

This entire "AC Noise Cleaning" industry's modus operandi is to use scaremongering and deceitful misdirection and obfuscation. It is despicable.

Their go-to lie is the following:

"You know that faint hiss and hum you hear in the background of the music in your system? See, that's from noise coming in from your AC cords so you need to buy our products to cure your ill for the best sound. Here let's show you this example."

This is almost always false. Don't fall for it. In nearly all examples the noise and distortion in your system is actually from the following:

A. The source recording itself. You can test this by pressing your playback device's pause button to make this particular noise stop.
B. Thermal noise, aka Johnson-Nyquist noise. All electronics, regardless of price, have some noise, distortion, and hum; it is just a question of how faint it is.
C. Impedance mismatches, such as using devices with objectionably high output impedances or objectionably low input impedance [this is rare these days with solid state gear amplifying speakers but can sometimes still be an issue for headphone amps depending on the load]
D. Ground loop noise caused by multiple system ground potentials due to poor system design

The deceitful AC cleaning industry uses scaremongering by giving demos where outdated light dimmers from the 1960s and cheapo gas station purchased cellphone chargers (which lack the filtering of modern devices made by name brands like Apple and Samsung) are used as noise generators to show how applying their filter elsewhere, such as in their product, can cure "the ill".
Speedskater and mtbdudex like this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 12-04-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page