Outdoor speaker set-up/configuration - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rocky1

post #1 of 7 Old 11-24-2019, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Outdoor speaker set-up/configuration

Hi,

I'm not too sure how to pose this question, but here it goes. I have two outdoor speakers hanging outside my home, about ten feet high, above my patio door, that are relatively small, with 4"woofers and 3/4" tweeters. Farther out, I will have have two TIC GS3 8" Omnidirectional speakers (just ordered) sitting on the ground.

To power these four speakers, I have a fairly basic amp, the Onkyo TX-SR494. I will not have an outdoor sub.

My question is, how should I best connect these four speakers?

Since I want the main volume to pipe through them, I figure the TIC GS3s should be connected as the fronts. Should I connect the other two, higher up speakers, as the surrounds or as the height speakers?

The main listening area will be pretty much in the middle of all four.

Any guidance is welcome, thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-25-2019, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by monteplus3 View Post
Hi,

I'm not too sure how to pose this question, but here it goes. I have two outdoor speakers hanging outside my home, about ten feet high, above my patio door, that are relatively small, with 4"woofers and 3/4" tweeters. Farther out, I will have have two TIC GS3 8" Omnidirectional speakers (just ordered) sitting on the ground.

To power these four speakers, I have a fairly basic amp, the Onkyo TX-SR494. I will not have an outdoor sub.

My question is, how should I best connect these four speakers?

Since I want the main volume to pipe through them, I figure the TIC GS3s should be connected as the fronts. Should I connect the other two, higher up speakers, as the surrounds or as the height speakers?

The main listening area will be pretty much in the middle of all four.

Any guidance is welcome, thank you!

Music is most all stereo, not surround, and outdoors is not usually the place.
For that scenario I would use Speakers A, and speakers B, if it has that, you can play both or just one set.

Music, more music.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-25-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks, unfortunately the receiver doesn't have a speaker A/B configuration. Figure my only option is to connect the smaller speakers as heights since the throughput should be about the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-TXSR494 rear.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	2645648  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-26-2019, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Connecting the additional speakers to either Surround or Height, shouldn't be any different in terms of audio output (for music).

Assuming you go in the receiver's settings, set it as a 4.0 system, and when listening to music, selecting the "Extended Stereo" mode (at least that's how pioneer calls it. Should be the same as Pioneer=Onkyo).

That would give identical sounds on the FR and SR speakers, and the same for FL and SL speakers.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-26-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 135

Cant you connect to zone 2 (b) . That way you can play together or seperately ..thats how i have my outdoor speakers. Have a pair under patio roof next to tv and another pair under eaves by the pool ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-26-2019, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
Cant you connect to zone 2 (b) . That way you can play together or seperately ..thats how i have my outdoor speakers. Have a pair under patio roof next to tv and another pair under eaves by the pool ..

Looks like their zone 2 is pre amp only.

I could not find if their receiver had an all zone stereo to utilize the surround output for stereo. If not do they have to raise the gain on the output to a height connection? Or lower it? I guess they'll have to adjust it by ear since it is outside, mic won't work I'm sure.

Music, more music.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-26-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 135

Per the back panel in post surround back is zone B .

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0784.png
Views:	4
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2645898
RayGuy likes this.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page