Improving a difficult non-permanent basement setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 3 Unread 11-25-2019, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Improving a difficult non-permanent basement setup

So currently I have my setup in my basement but we are moving out within the next year so I can't get into any major construction. I'm stuck with a half-finished square room (drop ceiling and full room area rug but the outside walls are still concrete) that's open to the stairs and the rest of the basement. My system sounds great everywhere in the basement except for the actual tv room. Bass is more of a suggestion in the listening position no matter how many different spots I've tried to place my sub. Would closing off the room make a huge difference and is there any way to even do that without doing a full door install? I was considering heavy blackout curtains but I doubt that would affect the lower frequencies.

Listening position looks closer to the center of the room than it is, it's less than 4ft from the back wall.
I have a center speaker but I still need to mount my tv onto the concrete wall behind it so that I can put the center speaker where the tv was sitting and I'm only 30% sure I want to go through with that. I do miss the theatricality it brought to movies though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement.PNG
Views:	11
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	2645508   Click image for larger version

Name:	basemetn2.PNG
Views:	9
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	2645510  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Unread 11-30-2019, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms382 View Post
So currently I have my setup in my basement but we are moving out within the next year so I can't get into any major construction. I'm stuck with a half-finished square room (drop ceiling and full room area rug but the outside walls are still concrete) that's open to the stairs and the rest of the basement. My system sounds great everywhere in the basement except for the actual tv room. Bass is more of a suggestion in the listening position no matter how many different spots I've tried to place my sub. Would closing off the room make a huge difference and is there any way to even do that without doing a full door install? I was considering heavy blackout curtains but I doubt that would affect the lower frequencies.

Listening position looks closer to the center of the room than it is, it's less than 4ft from the back wall.
I have a center speaker but I still need to mount my tv onto the concrete wall behind it so that I can put the center speaker where the tv was sitting and I'm only 30% sure I want to go through with that. I do miss the theatricality it brought to movies though.

Have you done a bass crawl or just try some random spots for the sub? I'd try moving your couch back another couple feet and do a bass crawl. In case you don't know what that is...put your sub on your couch at the listening position, play test tone or music with deep bass, and crawl around the floor and find the spot that has the most bass. Place your sub there and now your listening position is the spot in the room with the most bass. Also, what is your sub? A more powerful sub may be needed. Or an additional sub.

ADS L710 / KEF Q150 / HIFIMAN HE400i / Martin Logan Dynamo 300
NAD 720Bee / Schiit Modi 3 / Yamaha CD-S300 / XBOX One X
post #3 of 3 Unread 11-30-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2968 Post(s)
Liked: 2738
The couch should be placed such that your seated ears are not at 1/2 the room depth. Either move forward or backward and test all the sub positions again. Also, given that the room is open to a much larger area, your sub is trying to fill that entire area, and failing. So, yes, closing off the room would probably improve matters greatly. However, a curtain is not going to be effective in this way, you need real walls and a sealed door ... or multiple larger subs.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat