Converting a 5.1 setup to 5.1.4 Atmos questions... - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #31 of 36 Old 11-29-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2968 Post(s)
Liked: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Thanks for "punting" those to me Ray

RSL's - Very similar in look & function to the Polks I referenced, but more expensive. I may end up getting a second sub at some point so that should help with the localization issue.
OWM3 - Out. No aimable bracket/base. And too expensive.
CA Minx Min - No included aimable bracket (must buy separately). Which makes it too expensive. (you're probably seeing a pattern here...)
Gallo - Gorgeous! And I'm all 'bout dat! But...yikes!
Doesn't everyone here try to inflate the budget? You should expect that, by now! The problem is, as the speakers get smaller, they have to use better quality parts to approximate the performance of larger speakers, thus, they are more expensive. I think you will be fine with the polks, at that price point. All these ancillary speakers are just not all that important, given the usage % in HT. Consequently, a good place to save a few $.

Have you perused the used market? Might find a deal on Minx with bracket or Gallo ...

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 11-29-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 11-29-2019, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6308 Post(s)
Liked: 6963
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Doesn't everyone here try to inflate the budget? You should expect that, by now! The problem is, as the speakers get smaller, they have to use better quality parts to approximate the performance of larger speakers, thus, they are more expensive. I think you will be fine with the polks, at that price point. All these ancillary speakers are just not all that important, given the usage % in HT. Consequently, a good place to save a few $.

Have you perused the used market? Might find a deal on Minx with bracket or Gallo ...
I'm probably going to pull the trigger on those Polks. They'll be fine. I'll wait 'till Monday to see if I can wheedle a few more bucks off the price. I'll use the interim time to try and figure out the most unobtrusive way to run the speaker wire. Need to find some high-quality but flexible wire to run though white plastic, self-adhesive wire mold. Some of it I'll have to paint the wall color.

This is exciting! Going Atmos! Whoo-hoo! I've only seen one movie with it in a real cinema, one of the Star Wars movies, and remember the sound track as particularly good, quite clean & clear, but not too much in the way of whiz-bang overhead effects and what not.
RayGuy likes this.
post #33 of 36 Old 11-30-2019, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
This is exciting! Going Atmos! Whoo-hoo! I've only seen one movie with it in a real cinema, one of the Star Wars movies, and remember the sound track as particularly good, quite clean & clear, but not too much in the way of whiz-bang overhead effects and what not.
Don't get your hopes up too high. Some Atmos mixes are excellent, others are lacking.

Marantz SR7013, Polk Signature S60s/S30/S15s/HTS12s, Polk MC80 (x4), AC Infinity T9/S9, AAB4 HTPC,...still to come - Panasonic DP-UB820K, 82" 4K QLED or eqv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 11-30-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Or, maybe this is the answer! Pretty affordable at $120 a pair, and they're on a bracket so they're easy to aim. Plus, if my roof/ceiling ever leaks, no problemo! Anybody have any experience with these bad boys?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107ATR...um4-White.html

You might go for these instead. You can use four of them for your atmos and have one left over as a spare.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZVW0Vi...ack-Black.html
post #35 of 36 Old 11-30-2019, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6308 Post(s)
Liked: 6963
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
You might go for these instead. You can use four of them for your atmos and have one left over as a spare.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZVW0Vi...ack-Black.html
No, thanks, I'm good now. I can get 4 of those Polks for $240 and be all set. They're really perfect for what I need.

I thought I could find some round surface mount ceiling speakers for dedicated Atmos upgrades that would look sort of like a Roomba vacuum. That's what I envisioned. But nobody makes those. However, these Polk Atrium4's are really better because they can be precisely aimed and they're decent looking. And the price is right too.

Last edited by archiguy; 11-30-2019 at 04:06 PM.
post #36 of 36 Old 11-30-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
No, thanks, I'm good now. I can get 4 of those Polks for $240 and be all set. They're really perfect for what I need.

Yes, I agree, you could do that. Just be sure to read lots of reviews as you don't want to invest the time and effort into mounting them only to find out they don't measure up to the rest of your system. I had similar concerns and really for me, it came down to the Focal Sibs and Prime Elevations, but I liked the flexible mounting options with the Sibs so took a chance. Hope it works out for you.
archiguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page