1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wayne A. Pflughaupt

post #1 of 6 Old 11-25-2019, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
dual zone receiver cabling

I'm looking to buy a dual zone receiver to provide decent audio to two different rooms without requiring two receivers.

Zone 1 has a new tv with one arc hdmi port. I plan to buy two bookshelf speakers. It has a firestick 4k.

Zone 2 has a and old tv with hdmi (no arc) and optical output. The room has 5 speakers but no subwoofer yet. The receiver will go in this room. It has a firetv 2 and an xbox 360.

The receiver I am looking at is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1, but feel free to suggest something of better value.

Question #1 : How do I connect the tv in zone 1 to the receiver in zone2? Which ports? This is in two different rooms, do I need to get an hdmi cable through the walls. I'm thinking 1 inch conduit is not enough? And then I would also need two pairs of speaker wires for the bookshelf speakers correct? And if I want a subwoofer here, I would need an lfe cable as well?

Question #2 , Does the firestick 4k get plugged into the tv in zone1 or the receiver in zone2? I don't really understand ARC, so this part is confusing.

Question #3 . How do I connect zone tv equipment, tv, firetv and xbox 360 to the receiver?

Question #4 . Any advantages to gettin an arc capable tv on zone #2 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-25-2019, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 28
First question is do you have an easy way to get cabling between the zones? If you have to open and patch a bunch of drywall, it'll be cheaper to get a 2nd receiver.

Edit: actually, just took a look at the receiver you're considering. It doesn't appear to have a zone 2 and only one HDMI out so you couldn't do what you proposed anyway.

Marantz SR7013, Polk Signature S60s/S30/S15s/HTS12s, Polk MC80 (x4), AC Infinity T9/S9, AAB4 HTPC,...still to come - Panasonic DP-UB820K, 82" 4K QLED or eqv.

Last edited by Darren Chan; 11-25-2019 at 02:57 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-26-2019, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Chan View Post
First question is do you have an easy way to get cabling between the zones? If you have to open and patch a bunch of drywall, it'll be cheaper to get a 2nd receiver.

Edit: actually, just took a look at the receiver you're considering. It doesn't appear to have a zone 2 and only one HDMI out so you couldn't do what you proposed anyway.

Thanks, I thought it was a dual zone receiver. Needing a second hdmi out makes more sense! IS this a dual zone: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...E7U53NWQ&psc=1 ? There appears to be two hdmi outs, but I can't tell.

As far as the rooms, they are one on top of the other so I could get wiring between them with about 14 ft of wire. Still, I have a feeling a second receiver or a cheap $30 amp would be a better solution. Just want to get a clear picture of the logistics and benefits of a dual zone receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-26-2019, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavs View Post

Thanks, I thought it was a dual zone receiver. Needing a second hdmi out makes more sense! IS this a dual zone: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...E7U53NWQ&psc=1 ? There appears to be two hdmi outs, but I can't tell.

As far as the rooms, they are one on top of the other so I could get wiring between them with about 14 ft of wire. Still, I have a feeling a second receiver or a cheap $30 amp would be a better solution. Just want to get a clear picture of the logistics and benefits of a dual zone receiver.
Yes. This one has a zone 2 but it is audio only. Still only one HDMI out. You're better off getting 2 avrs.

Marantz SR7013, Polk Signature S60s/S30/S15s/HTS12s, Polk MC80 (x4), AC Infinity T9/S9, AAB4 HTPC,...still to come - Panasonic DP-UB820K, 82" 4K QLED or eqv.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-26-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 362
I don’t see how the proposed system can work well.

The proposed Zone 2 will only work if it is configured as Zone 1. That’s the only way you’ll bet a subwoofer connection, because Zone 2’s never have subwoofer capability, or bass management for that matter.

The proposed Zone 1 (which should really be Zone 2) with the TV, you’ll have to go back to the AVR to change the source input.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
sivadselim likes this.

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #6 of 6 Old 11-30-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2968 Post(s)
Liked: 2738
Just get a cheap used older receiver for $50 or $75 bucks .... for the second zone. Simplifies a lot of issues, including remote control.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page