Can I Increase/Decrease The Input Signal To A Receiver? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-03-2019, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can I Increase/Decrease The Input Signal To A Receiver?

I'll layout a simple scenario to get us started and if more detail is required, just ask.

I have 2 devices attached to a receiver, an Echo Dot that is attached the receiver's CDR input and a cable box/DVR that is attached to the receiver's DVR input.

The issue is that the strengths of the input signals is so different that the receiver's volume has to be so low for normal listening of the cable box/TV that the Dot's volume has to be set to 10 (max) to be barely heard. That leaves no room to raise the Dot's volume by voice. I'd like to set the Dot to level 5 or 6 and set the volume on the receiver to a level that maintains the same output volume when switching between inputs. That way the Dot can still have some volume control of it's own

Right now, if the Dot is set to 5 and the receiver is set to a volume that allows for easy listening, switching the receiver to the cable box input without first lowering the receiver volume significantly is going to blow up my speakers.

The volume level of the cable box RCA jack outputs is fixed, so I cannot adjust that. If I could attenuate that signal, or raise the Dot's signal, before they hit the receiver inputs, I might be able to achieve better balance. Is there a relatively inexpensive way to do that?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-03-2019, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Which AVR do you have?
Many AVRs have a per source ‘input trim’ (i dont remember what its called atm)
post #3 of 8 Old 12-03-2019, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. I'll post the model number when I get home. I don't recall seeing any kind of per-input-attenuation option, at least not easily found by just looking at the remote or the front panel.

It's a circa mid-90's Pioneer unit left behind when my son moved out. I just pulled it out of storage to see what I can get it to do. I'd have to find the manual on-line which I'll also try to do once I have the model number.

I'm also going to pick up an optical cable and try the optical port on the TV itself. The rcvr has an optical input. Any idea if an optical signal from a TV is generally a weaker signal than the output at the RCA jacks on a cable box? Just curious...worth testing in any case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-03-2019, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

I am working with a Pioneer VSX-D514

I downloaded the manual and did a quick scan of the instructions. If there is a way to adjust the settings of the individual inputs, I didn't see it.

The Input Sensitivity/Impedance for all inputs is 200 mV/47 kΩ so I don't think that trying other inputs is going to help. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think that any "balancing" of input signals would need to be done before the input ports on the receiver. I hope that someone has a suggestion on how to do that.

Some sort of very low power amp for the Dot or a signal attenuator for the cable box, perhaps?

Thanks again.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-03-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5542 Post(s)
Liked: 3982
I think the least expensive solution is to turn down the output of the cable box (my xfinity/comcast Motorola box has a volume control, although I can't promise all do) to the point that it matches the Dot.

There are inline devices, which may cost so much you might be better served by simply buying a new receiver with the common "input level trim" feature mentioned earlier, called "line amps" or "line drivers" which can boost the RCA signal just as you requested. AudioControl makes good ones for cars but you'd need a 12V car battery or a transformer for home use of it.

Here's a more affordable one but I've never heard of the brand so I can't speak to the quality of it:
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...Bay-IBR67.html
post #6 of 8 Old 12-03-2019, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I think the least expensive solution is to turn down the output of the cable box (my xfinity/comcast Motorola box has a volume control, although I can't promise all do) to the point that it matches the Dot.
Thanks for that suggestion, but as i mentioned in my OP, the output of the RCA jacks on the back of the cable box are fixed, as far as I know. I'll call the cable company tomorrow, but I can not find a volume setting on the cable box that applies to the RCA jacks.

Quote:
There are inline devices, which may cost so much you might be better served by simply buying a new receiver with the common "input level trim" feature mentioned earlier, called "line amps" or "line drivers" which can boost the RCA signal just as you requested. AudioControl makes good ones for cars but you'd need a 12V car battery or a transformer for home use of it.
I'm a little confused. If you are talking about something like the AudioControl Overdrive Plus unit, which sells for $60-$90, why would I consider a new rcvr? Did I miss something?

Quote:
Here's a more affordable one but I've never heard of the brand so I can't speak to the quality of it:
Install-Bay-IBR67
For $20 it's certainly worth a try. Thanks!
post #7 of 8 Old 12-03-2019, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5542 Post(s)
Liked: 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDad03 View Post
I'm a little confused. If you are talking about something like the AudioControl Overdrive Plus unit, which sells for $60-$90, why would I consider a new rcvr? Did I miss something?
Yes but I thought they were over $100.

Your receiver doesn't support HDMI connections. As time goes on this is quickly becoming the defacto connection standard and older connection methods like the RCA wires you currently use are being dropped on many newer products.

Say for example you buy a new BD disc player a year or two from now and discover the affordable (but otherwise perfectly adequate) ones only have HDMI out. This means to get sound to your audio system you'll be needing to get some kludgy convertors if your current receiver doesn't support HDMI jacks. There may be sound deliver compromises too by not having HDMI.

I know my Yamaha RX-V375 sports both HDMI and volume trim per input and I bought mine with a Yamaha warranty but B-stock (refurbished by Yamaha) for $169. I'd think there are even less expensive ones that would fit the bill too.

Just thinking ahead.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-03-2019, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

m. zilch

Thanks for the clarification. Somehow I don't see the Echo Dot ever getting an HDMI port, but I see your point.

I see that the V375 is still available at that price on Amazon. I think I'll try the $20 solution just as a test. Maybe I'll ask for something like the 375 for Christmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat