What do my Audyssey graphs say about my speakers and my room? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-11-2019, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 86
What do my Audyssey graphs say about my speakers and my room?

I had originally posted this in the "Speakers" forum but realized that this was the correct forum to post in. I couldn't delete the other thread, so if any mod is reading, please delete the other one.

On to the topic at hand...

Using Audyssey XT32 on my Denon X4000. Speakers are Sierra 2-EX's.

Uploaded the results from Audyssey. The graph with the rising corrections in the upper treble is "Audyssey Flat" and the other one is the Audyssey Reference curve.

I'm assuming that whatever dB level the bars are at each frequency is how much Audyssey had to cut or add in order to achieve the target response.

Now I was under the assumption that because Audyssey Reference uses midrange compensation (a dip around 2 kHz) and rolls off the highs, that a flat response was more accurate and better for music. However after switching back and forth, the Reference curve sounds more natural/better to me.

Looking at the Audyssey graphs, it seems like above 1 kHz, Audyssey Reference makes only minor adjustments (+/- 2 dB) but Audyssey Flat has a more substantial adjustment in the midrange and a large, rising adjustment in the upper treble.

What gives? And what does this say about my speakers and my room? I assume the Reference curves sound more natural due to more minor adjustments would make it sound more like the speakers playing with no EQ at all. But what about the midrange compensation and HF roll-off? Does my room just naturally have those attributes so the Reference curve made so little adjustments?

I'm so confused. Thanks to any responses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191211_175734403.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	687.6 KB
ID:	2652714   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191211_180048265.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	750.5 KB
ID:	2652716  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-19-2019, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
first - you did your first measurement exactly at the listening position to set distances and subsequent measurements randomly varying all directions, to fully sample the soundfield?
Then your graphs tells us that:
Audyssey flat uses perceptually wrong target curve. It shouldn't need to boost anechoically flat speakers with decent off-axis performance. Also your speaker have a built in midrange dip.
Audyssey 'regular' doesn't touch your 'midrange dip' (target has a built in midrange dip, erroneously ) much and doesn't boost the treble unnecessarily.
Bass is so much program dependent, you could try the loudness compensation algorithm and play with reference offset value to arrive at a decent balance you like.
It seems that you like the sound of the regular audyssey curve? That is all that matters.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-13-2020, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The Audyssey EQ doesn't tell you anything about the sound. It's telling you how your amp is adjusting the signal to meet their target in Audyssey. To understand the sound, you would need to measure it after the EQ has been run. If Audyssey is anything like YPAO (Yamaha), it has a target curve that isn't flat. Most people don't like flat EQ - I'm one of those people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page