Tactile Transducer Wiring Help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-18-2019, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Tactile Transducer Wiring Help

Hi folks,

I'm changing up my tactile transducer setup and need help with wiring. I originally had two AuraSound AST-2B-4 (50 W, 4 ohm) shakers wired in parallel to this amp, a class D 100 watt RMS sub amp (whose output is likely much lower in reality). My wife and I absolutely love the feel of them and would recommend them to anyone.

Unfortunately, because the way my wife's seat is motorized in our leather sectional, she loses about 25% of the capacity to recline her chair due to the size of the Aurasound puck and wants to switch it out for a smaller shaker that will allow the chair to fully recline (I tried every possible placement option, this was the best it got). Within my budget and the physical limitations of the chair, I settled on using two of these, each rated at 25 watts/8 ohms. I recognize that they will obviously be crappy relative to the AuraSound shakers, but gotta keep the missus happy and this is what she'd prefer.

Using the same amp, can I safely run all 4? And if so, how should I wire them? I'm a 4th year med student and it's been years since I've had to learn circuit diagrams. While I can still follow and read them, I no longer know/understand the math well enough to trust myself to do it on my own. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-09-2020, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

If anyone has good, accessible resources that I can teach myself some of this, that would work too. Still stumped on what to do with the wiring
post #3 of 5 Old 01-10-2020, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3077 Post(s)
Liked: 1833
You started with a total of 2 shakers, one for each chair. These are 4 ohm units wired in parallel, thus the amp sees a 2 ohm load. It is apparently happy with that.

Now you want to replace one of the shakers with two of the new 8 ohm units. If you wire the 8 ohm units in parallel, you have 4 ohm, just like before, so with all three shakers wired in parallel you have the same 2 ohm load on the amp as before. All good.

What we don't know is whether the new ones have a different degree of effect or not. Let's say they feel stronger than the single unit (which I rather doubt). Rather than reducing the drive level, and your chair's effect, you can wire the two 8 ohm units in series. Then connect that 16 ohm load in parallel to the other 4 ohm unit. That's about a 3 ohm load, a bit lighter than 2 ohms for the amp.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-12-2020, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
You started with a total of 2 shakers, one for each chair. These are 4 ohm units wired in parallel, thus the amp sees a 2 ohm load. It is apparently happy with that.

Now you want to replace one of the shakers with two of the new 8 ohm units. If you wire the 8 ohm units in parallel, you have 4 ohm, just like before, so with all three shakers wired in parallel you have the same 2 ohm load on the amp as before. All good.

What we don't know is whether the new ones have a different degree of effect or not. Let's say they feel stronger than the single unit (which I rather doubt). Rather than reducing the drive level, and your chair's effect, you can wire the two 8 ohm units in series. Then connect that 16 ohm load in parallel to the other 4 ohm unit. That's about a 3 ohm load, a bit lighter than 2 ohms for the amp.
Thank you so much! This was super helpful. So to be clear, I'll have 3 parallel circuits, one with the two 8 ohm transducers in series, one with the 4 ohm transducer #1 , and the third with 4 ohm transducer #2 ?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-12-2020, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3077 Post(s)
Liked: 1833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhroberts007 View Post
Thank you so much! This was super helpful. So to be clear, I'll have 3 parallel circuits, one with the two 8 ohm transducers in series, one with the 4 ohm transducer#1, and the third with 4 ohm transducer #2?
Just to avoid any confusion, see the two options. Option A will drive the wife's chair more than option B.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring shakers.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	2668782  

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page