Audio calibration mic mix - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-24-2019, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Audio calibration mic mix

I have a Yamaha 383bl receiver in my bedroom and got a open box Sony str-dh790 today but it didn't come with the calibration mic.

Will the Yamaha mic work the same for calibrating the Sony ?

I'm no audio expert but i assume it's just a mic and would be universal that's why i came to you guys.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-24-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked: 4114
If neither manufacturer mentions the word "calibrated" in their descriptions of their mic itself then you probably can use them interchangeably, but if you want to be dead sure only use Sony with Sony and Yamaha with Yamaha.

If they are in a sense "specific" to their own brand only, the difference in actual use by using the "wrong" one will probably be rather trivial to the ear.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #3 of 3 Old 01-10-2020, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
If neither manufacturer mentions the word "calibrated" in their descriptions of their mic itself then you probably can use them interchangeably, but if you want to be dead sure only use Sony with Sony and Yamaha with Yamaha.

If they are in a sense "specific" to their own brand only, the difference in actual use by using the "wrong" one will probably be rather trivial to the ear.
If they are in a sense "specific" to their own brand only, the difference in actual use by using the "wrong" one will probably be rather trivial to the ear.[/QUOTE]
I went ahead and sold the sony receiver because i just couldn't get it dialed in the way i like no matter how hard i tried even with a borrowed sony mic. I purchased a yamaha rx-v685 instead, but thanks for the response
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page