NEED HELP: Paradigm 7.1.4 Setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kai Winters

post #1 of 4 Old 01-01-2020, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 17
NEED HELP: Paradigm 7.1.4 Setup

Hi all - Here’s the dilemma:

I’m in a condo (corner unit on 24th floor so hopefully not too intrusive to too many neighbours) I think I can remove the little wood moulding pieces between baseboard and laminate flooring to wire through the surrounds.

Looking to setup a 7.1.4 Atmos setup.
I can wall-mount but cannot ceiling mount.

Gear:
TC-P65GT30 Plasma TV
3x sets of Paradigm Cinema 100 CT speakers (I’ll probably need just 11 for this setup and spare for another 2.1 setup elsewhere)
Anthem MRX1120 (or another 11 channel processing capable AVR) - still pending (suggestions?)

Pictures attached for reference.

- TV size is 65”. TV on stand is 17” from the wall as it’s centred on the stand.
- Wall to wall distance is 10 ft. across, length of room is 220 inches (18ft)

- Walkway on left of TV is 5ft wide entrance from outside (showcase moving to back (currently in pic beside the TV)

- Walkway on right is 3ft wide leading into kitchen.
- Left wall is 160 inches (13.3 ft) inclusive of French doors (they will remain closed)

- Right wall is 94 inches (8 ft) where the couch is.
- Right side distance past the opening is 15 ft. but as you can see the wall breaks into the Dining table section.

- Dining area opening is 92 inches
- Back wall is just that piece, cannot still as it’s the AC shaft behind it. Rest of the curtain area is open leading into Solarium.

- Room height is 8 ft standard condo height.

Also, can speakers be wall mounted on wall even though wall is 17” distance from TV?

How and where should I place the .4 Atmos speakers? What gauge wire would be good for all speakers?

Let me know if any other info is required! Thank you in advance and looking forward to some great discussions, suggestions and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-01-2020, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Whew...
Have you moved from a larger home to this condo?
Based on the amount and size of the furniture I'd say yes.

Based on the current staging it seems to me that the HT is of very low importance and setting up a system as you describe is going to be very hard and likely not very good.

The main viewing/listening position is that red chair while the two sofas are perpendicular to the main viewing area and useless...yikes.

Were it me and the living room is going to be a HT room/living area I'd start by decluttering. I'd remove the large shelf units to the left and the right as well as most of the stuff behind the chair.
you're going to have to mount the surrounds high to get the left over the double doors on the left rear area but nowhere to mount the right because it is an open area to the dining area.
You might be able to mount one pair of surrounds at the end of the semi-wall with its' mate across on the door wall. Perhaps another set of surrounds high on the back wall. Finally mounting the height speakers where you can on the ceiling with the center and fronts to the left/right and center "over?" the TV with the sub to the right of the TV so the majority of bass doesn't go into the dining area.

Wow you are going to have wires everywhere and I don't think it is going to be pleasing to see at all and I don't think it is going to sound very good either...sorry.
I'm also not a big fan of the cinema 100 series. I've heard them some time ago in a well set up listening room and they didn't sound good at all...they sounded brittle with little depth...perhaps good for all speakers audio but little else IMO...if you like them that is fine by me.

You have a relatively small room and not a lot of places for good placement.
You have to decide what the priority of the room is going to be and use that as the focal point for furnishings and placement.

I'll tell you what I would do if I were in your place and decided that the room was going to be used for HT entertainment first and entertaining guests second. I remove everything in this room, including the pictures on the walls and start with the credenza as the starting point. I'd wall mount the TV but if I couldn't it would stay where it is. I'd buy a nice pair of bookshelf speakers and center to replace the cinema 100's. I'd place one pair of 100's high up on the wall over the double doors and in the same place on the semi wall at its' end where the primary seating position will be. I'd place a pair of 100's on the far wall up high placed to push the sound to the middle of the room. I'd place 4 ceiling mount speakers placed behind and just in front of the primary seating area...where the single chair is located...You'd be using 8 of the 100's.

I'd get two nice chairs to use as the primary seating area, perhaps keep one of the white sofas but ideally replacing both of them with a shorter 2 person sofa on one wall and another, or two smaller chairs, on the other wall to give the sense of a larger room but with the same seating for guests...unless you have few guests then I have only one smaller sofa with one of the chairs in the primary seating location and the other near the empty wall with a small table along side of it. No central coffee table using a small side table along at the side of the sofa and one aside the main seat. A nice area rug in the center of the room. Then place the photos, etc. but that painting is far too large for its' space and should go elsewhere.
I'd experiment with painting one of the 100's to match the ceiling better so they are a bit less noticeable but you are still going to have wires running around but there are covers that can be painted to match the wall color and ceiling.

Whew...that's all I've got...good luck and keep us informed.
kumar2018 likes this.

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #3 of 4 Old 01-01-2020, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Whew...

Have you moved from a larger home to this condo?

Based on the amount and size of the furniture I'd say yes.

Based on the current staging it seems to me that the HT is of very low importance and setting up a system as you describe is going to be very hard and likely not very good.

The main viewing/listening position is that red chair while the two sofas are perpendicular to the main viewing area and useless...yikes.

Were it me and the living room is going to be a HT room/living area I'd start by decluttering. I'd remove the large shelf units to the left and the right as well as most of the stuff behind the chair.

you're going to have to mount the surrounds high to get the left over the double doors on the left rear area but nowhere to mount the right because it is an open area to the dining area.

You might be able to mount one pair of surrounds at the end of the semi-wall with its' mate across on the door wall. Perhaps another set of surrounds high on the back wall. Finally mounting the height speakers where you can on the ceiling with the center and fronts to the left/right and center "over?" the TV with the sub to the right of the TV so the majority of bass doesn't go into the dining area.

Wow you are going to have wires everywhere and I don't think it is going to be pleasing to see at all and I don't think it is going to sound very good either...sorry.

I'm also not a big fan of the cinema 100 series. I've heard them some time ago in a well set up listening room and they didn't sound good at all...they sounded brittle with little depth...perhaps good for all speakers audio but little else IMO...if you like them that is fine by me.

You have a relatively small room and not a lot of places for good placement.

You have to decide what the priority of the room is going to be and use that as the focal point for furnishings and placement.

I'll tell you what I would do if I were in your place and decided that the room was going to be used for HT entertainment first and entertaining guests second. I remove everything in this room, including the pictures on the walls and start with the credenza as the starting point. I'd wall mount the TV but if I couldn't it would stay where it is. I'd buy a nice pair of bookshelf speakers and center to replace the cinema 100's. I'd place one pair of 100's high up on the wall over the double doors and in the same place on the semi wall at its' end where the primary seating position will be. I'd place a pair of 100's on the far wall up high placed to push the sound to the middle of the room. I'd place 4 ceiling mount speakers placed behind and just in front of the primary seating area...where the single chair is located...You'd be using 8 of the 100's.

I'd get two nice chairs to use as the primary seating area, perhaps keep one of the white sofas but ideally replacing both of them with a shorter 2 person sofa on one wall and another, or two smaller chairs, on the other wall to give the sense of a larger room but with the same seating for guests...unless you have few guests then I have only one smaller sofa with one of the chairs in the primary seating location and the other near the empty wall with a small table along side of it. No central coffee table using a small side table along at the side of the sofa and one aside the main seat. A nice area rug in the center of the room. Then place the photos, etc. but that painting is far too large for its' space and should go elsewhere.

I'd experiment with painting one of the 100's to match the ceiling better so they are a bit less noticeable but you are still going to have wires running around but there are covers that can be painted to match the wall color and ceiling.

Whew...that's all I've got...good luck and keep us informed.

Thank you so much for your input ! Unfortunately the room will be multi used.

Yes the following items are going out, hence I put Red Cross over them.
- shelves on left and right of the tv
- hutch in front of the doors
- small table next to the dining set
- covered things behind the red chair

Would having a sectional sofa make any difference? That could possibly have two reclining seats facing the TV, and the rest of length of sectional against the wall with the painting.

This way the 4th and 5th surround can be mounted on the painting and photo wall at ear level.

And mounting the 6th and 7th rear surrounds on the upper wall, or maybe on stands?

I don’t have an option to ceiling mount speakers because it’s a condominium.

It surely is still challenging and not sure how well room correction could or would work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-11-2020, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2018 View Post
Thank you so much for your input ! Unfortunately the room will be multi used.

Yes the following items are going out, hence I put Red Cross over them.
- shelves on left and right of the tv
- hutch in front of the doors
- small table next to the dining set
- covered things behind the red chair

Would having a sectional sofa make any difference? That could possibly have two reclining seats facing the TV, and the rest of length of sectional against the wall with the painting.

This way the 4th and 5th surround can be mounted on the painting and photo wall at ear level.

And mounting the 6th and 7th rear surrounds on the upper wall, or maybe on stands?

I don’t have an option to ceiling mount speakers because it’s a condominium.

It surely is still challenging and not sure how well room correction could or would work.

Any other thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page