Does it harm sound quality plugging your amp into.... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By DonH50
  • 2 Post By CharlesJ
  • 1 Post By Ratman
  • 1 Post By D Bone

post #1 of 14 Old 01-07-2020, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Does it harm sound quality plugging your amp into....

Would plugging my power amplifier and preamplifier and/or my power conditioner into a Leviton AFCI/GFCI (has both) outlet cause a loss in sound quality/fidelity?

FWIW, I have a PS Audio PowerPort Classic just sitting not being used. Would it be worth losing the benefits of what the AFCI/GFCI Leviton outlet does for my circuit?

Whether it’s a good thing or not, the only outlet that’s readily accessible for powering my audio system seems to be the outlet that’s at the start of the 20A circuit, which is what the AFCI/GFCI installation instructions specifically require. The benefit is it protects every other outlet downstream within the same circuit from ground faults and arcing I believe. Anyways what would you do?

And can me using this special Leviton outlet to power my audio equipment actually cause a serious drop in overall system volume/output and drop in fidelity?

Because to me it seems like it is and I’m starting to think it’s this AFCI/GFCI outlet I just installed.... any advice or input is greatly appreciated, thank you all.

Do it all or don't do it at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-08-2020, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked: 3486
Arc fault and ground fault circuit interrupters will not affect the sound quality unless they trip (and then you'll have no sound). Think of it as another type of breaker or fuse -- all or none.
DonoMan likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3 of 14 Old 01-08-2020, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5748 Post(s)
Liked: 4096
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Arc fault and ground fault circuit interrupters will not affect the sound quality unless they trip (and then you'll have no sound). Think of it as another type of breaker or fuse -- all or none.
Yes, I'm on your side, but don't the people who believe in audio magic say common, non-blessed fuses compromise the sound? So wouldn't they say the same thing about these things?

Hence the grossly overpriced "blessed" ones:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Furu...&bih=916&dpr=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-08-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Yes, I'm on your side, but don't the people who believe in audio magic say common, non-blessed fuses compromise the sound? So wouldn't they say the same thing about these things?

Of course! You need directional fuses, special outlets, special power cords, magic dots placed around the room... All blessed by mermaids and unicorns.

IMO the OP should be looking at what else may have changed, be it moving a speaker or the MLP slightly, mood, whatever. The one thing he can do, if it is a new outlet/circuit, is to make sure it is wired correctly. But AFCI's are pretty persnickity IME so I doubt that's a problem. Several years ago someone found their decoding mode had changed, like going from bitstream to whatever, after moving some equipment around and posted here the saga of trying to figure out why the sound had changed. Wasn't the outlet.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 14 Old 01-08-2020, 12:09 PM

What a nightmare. Imagine you unplug a source device to move it to another shelf and it secretly resets bitstream output to PCM so there is a change you are unaware of. Yikes.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-09-2020, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked: 1891
Quote:

Wow, just when I thought it couldn't get any better. Magic cables, receptacles, interconnects. First time I've seen magic fuses! I'm feeling woefully ignorant...

Just curious - what do automotive audiophiles do? Do they make magic batteries for cars and primary wire, fuses, and the like? I probably shouldn't even be asking...

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #7 of 14 Old 01-09-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Just curious - what do automotive audiophiles do? Do they make magic batteries for cars and primary wire, fuses, and the like? I probably shouldn't even be asking...
They abandon the car's primary electrical system and add a secondary, custom alternator, an alternate deep cycle marine battery (or sets of them), and then they have all their "woo" wiring as well, including the fuses, poly switches, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-09-2020 at 03:15 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-09-2020, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
... I probably shouldn't even be asking...
Correct.
Ratman and Jonas2 like this.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-09-2020, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked: 2317
Quote:

"Barney? Could you not poke the body with a stick, please?"
Jonas2 likes this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #10 of 14 Old 01-09-2020, 03:34 PM

Many audiophiles insist any sort of fuse, circuit breaker, poly swtich, or GFCI will compromise the maximum, transient current delivery to their woofer. Like all their myths they follow, there may be something to it technically but in practical terms it is silly.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-09-2020, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 482
I dust all of my connections and all exposed wiring all the way back to the sub-station..... The 220kV overhead lines can be a bit tricky to clean, but the sound improvement is well worth it.
18Hurts likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-09-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Many audiophiles insist any sort of fuse, circuit breaker, poly swtich, or GFCI will compromise the maximum, transient current delivery to their woofer. Like all their myths they follow, there may be something to it technically but in practical terms it is silly.
Yeah, quite unlike the roll of tiny wire that makes up the voice coil...

post #13 of 14 Old 01-10-2020, 12:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
I dust all of my connections and all exposed wiring all the way back to the sub-station..... The 220kV overhead lines can be a bit tricky to clean, but the sound improvement is well worth it.
I tried that but they put me in a taxpayer provided hotel for the night. The mattress sucked, the walls were way too thin that you can hear and see your neighbour, and the stainless steel facilities were lacking.

Something they didn't like about me hanging around that barbed wire fenced in building while I was cleaning the connections.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-10-2020, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked: 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post
Correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
"Barney? Could you not poke the body with a stick, please?"

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page