Is a "Dolby Atmos/DSur" audio output signal equal to "Dolby Atmos" - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-08-2020, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not sure if this is right place to ask....thx for the indulgence...

I have a Marantz 6013 AVR that processes Atmos and a fire tv cube (2nd gen) connected via 4k HDMI to my reciever (not into tv). I have everything I need to stream doby atmos as well as a 7.1.4 setup and dedicated atmos speakers, but I do not have a 4k (yet).

After adjusting the settings on my fire cube and reciever and putting on a 4k (with atmos) title, I am unable to get anything on my Apps (prime and netflix) that tell me I'm listening to atmos, BUT....my reciever displays the option to select an auto signal titled "Dolby Atmos/DSur" among other options like stereo, DD+, Neuro X etc.

My question is...is that Dolby Atmos (the "Dolby Atmos/DSur" option? Or, is that something similar but different? It really goes back to whether or not I am required to have a 4KTV in order to hear Atmos if I am streaming atmos content with it connected into my reciever....I was hoping the video processing would output the 1080p while the audio processing still would output an atmos signal...but I don't know if that is how it works or if I am good. I'll do some more listening to confirm but thought one of you may have experience in this already.

Thx

Last edited by libertyguy20; 01-08-2020 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-09-2020, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 2322
From the manual:
"Please set the surround mode to Dolby Atmos/Surround when playing back DolbyAtmos encoded content. Dolby Atmos/Surround delivers the optimum playbackexperience from Blu-ray and streaming sources encoded with Dolby Atmos as wellas channel based content. The default setting of this receiver is Dolby Atmos/Surround."

Dolby Atmosz

Please select this mode to play back the contents encoded with Dolby Atmos. If you have selected a different sound mode previously, please select again this mode for Dolby Atmos content play back. It decodes Dolby Atmos content and its positioning data in real time and outputs audio from the appropriate speakers, creating natural audio images regardless of the speaker layout. Use ceiling speakers and Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers to realize a three-dimensional sound field

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 5 Old 01-10-2020, 12:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3080 Post(s)
Liked: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyguy20 View Post
I have a Marantz 6013 AVR....my reciever displays the option to select an auto signal titled "Dolby Atmos/DSur" among other options like stereo, DD+, Neuro X etc.
Let's separate this into two piles. There's the incoming audio, and there's the decoder processing options. DD+ is a bitstream that can be formatted as stereo, 5.1 or Atmos. The AVR can tell you about the nature of the source in these same terms. What does your AVR show as the input format?

The "Atmos/DSur" item is an option for playing back the content. If the source is Atmos encoded, you will get the full Atmos effect and this will be evident on the AVR display. If the source is 5.1 or stereo, the Dolby Surround process will upmix it to fill the speakers -- this is not Atmos, it just uses the same speakers. Aside from that option, you can also select NeuralX which is an alternative upmixer process. Neither this nor Dolby Surround can be activated when an Atmos soundtrack is playing.

What does your AVR display as the output mode?

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-10-2020, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Quote:
I have a Marantz 6013 AVR....my reciever displays the option to select an auto signal titled "Dolby Atmos/DSur" among other options like stereo, DD+, Neuro X etc.
Let's separate this into two piles. There's the incoming audio, and there's the decoder processing options. DD+ is a bitstream that can be formatted as stereo, 5.1 or Atmos. The AVR can tell you about the nature of the source in these same terms. What does your AVR show as the input format?

The "Atmos/DSur" item is an option for playing back the content. If the source is Atmos encoded, you will get the full Atmos effect and this will be evident on the AVR display. If the source is 5.1 or stereo, the Dolby Surround process will upmix it to fill the speakers -- this is not Atmos, it just uses the same speakers. Aside from that option, you can also select NeuralX which is an alternative upmixer process. Neither this nor Dolby Surround can be activated when an Atmos soundtrack is playing.

What does your AVR display as the output mode?
In output mode it shows "Dolby Atmos/DSur".....but I am more convinced now that this isnt Atmos. While selectable output option showed up as expected on netflix, prime, and disney+, it also showed up on Hulu, which has no atmos.

I also played back a few titles with this setting on and muted the front stage (except the front upfiring atmos...none in back at moment)....I mostly heard the surround channels (Lb, Ls, rb, rs)...only occasionally did I hear the front upfiring atmos at it was mostly sound track stuff...not sound you'd expect like when a star destroyer flies overtop the camera.

So not sure what to do. I've read elsewhere having a 4k tv isnt a requirement but not sure if that's accurate or only applicable to blue ray comparable atmos discs. Pretty sure I'm not getting real atmos after it showed as an option to choose when watching Hulu, and I've yet to see it as a selectable sound field option for Prime...just as a option to choose on my receiver's iutput... but that is the Dolby Atmos/DSur. Not sure how else to troubleshoot...apart from buying a 4k tv, ugh.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-10-2020, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
In output mode it shows "Dolby Atmos/DSur".....but I am more convinced now that this isnt Atmos. While selectable output option showed up as expected on netflix, prime, and disney+, it also showed up on Hulu, which has no atmos.

I also played back a few titles with this setting on and muted the front stage (except the front upfiring atmos...none in back at moment)....I mostly heard the surround channels (Lb, Ls, rb, rs)...only occasionally did I hear the front upfiring atmos at it was mostly sound track stuff...not sound you'd expect like when a star destroyer flies overtop the camera.

So not sure what to do. I've read elsewhere having a 4k tv isnt a requirement but not sure if that's accurate or only applicable to blue ray comparable atmos discs. Pretty sure I'm not getting real atmos after it showed as an option to choose when watching Hulu, and I've yet to see it as a selectable sound field option for Prime...just as a option to choose on my receiver's iutput... but that is the Dolby Atmos/DSur. Not sure how else to troubleshoot...apart from buying a 4k tv, ugh.
I'm with ya, I was bored last night so I tried to see if I could get a 2nd gen fire tv stick to send anything beyond "Dolby Atmos/Dsur" running through a Denon 3500H into a 720p Plasma. My thought was if I could get the receiver to do the transcoding maybe the fire stick would send 4k and Atmos. No luck... I finally gave up and swapped it out for a 1st gen stick as the 2nd gen stick sends all Netflix in a 5.1 container even if it stereo. Which means you can't upmix it properly. I can't have my K-dramas in just stereo!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page