• 1 Post By Roger Dressler

post #1 of 3 Old 01-09-2020, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New TV + Old AV Receiver

Hi all.

First post here. Looking for some advice on audio setup.

I have an old Yamaha RX-V12000RDS AV Receiver that can handle Dolby Digital and DTS. It has Optical + Coax inputs, no HDMI. I plan to use it to set up a 5.1 system.

I recently bought a new TV (LG 55UM7450PLA). Still in the box waiting for the room to be redone. The TV has HDMI/ARC and optical out and will output DD over both of these. So it seems I can at least get Dolby Digital 5.1 from the TV to the receiver.

Just wondering if there are other possibilities for improving the sound. The TV will output DD+ over HDMI/ARC. The receiver has 6 channel input.

I can set the TV to output PCM. So wondering if this will allow me to get DD+ sound quality. I guess I would need a HDMI extractor to convert the PCM into 6 channels and then connect to the receiver.

Alternatively if I set the TV to output DD+ over HDMI ARC could I use an external decoder to convert this to 6 channel PCM. I have been looking for a decoder that can do this but I haven't found anything that clearly does this. Most of the inexpensive HDMI extractors I've seen seem to only offer passthrough.

Thanks

Attached is a summary of the audio out possibilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LG Sound Options.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2667272  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-12-2020, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3080 Post(s)
Liked: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutron_Star View Post
Just wondering if there are other possibilities for improving the sound. The TV will output DD+ over HDMI/ARC. The receiver has 6 channel input.

I can set the TV to output PCM. So wondering if this will allow me to get DD+ sound quality.
DD+ does not necessarily sound better than DD, it just uses a lower bitrate (and optionally, Atmos encoding which is not at issue here). Also, the way DD+ devices "transcode" DD+ signals to the legacy DD output preserves the quality of the DD+. You might be surprised.

If you set the TV to output PCM it will be limited to stereo rather than 5.1, in case that matters.
Neutron_Star likes this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #3 of 3 Old 01-12-2020, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
DD+ does not necessarily sound better than DD, it just uses a lower bitrate (and optionally, Atmos encoding which is not at issue here). Also, the way DD+ devices "transcode" DD+ signals to the legacy DD output preserves the quality of the DD+. You might be surprised.

If you set the TV to output PCM it will be limited to stereo rather than 5.1, in case that matters.
Thanks Roger.

I did some searching and found a few threads on here which basically say the same as what you have said. I'm looking forward to setting this system up in our newly refurbed room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page