Acoustics - sitting in the long and short dimensions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-10-2020, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Acoustics - sitting in the long and short dimensions

So I live in an apartment. I have acoustic treatment in the room - 8 GIK panels total, two behind the speakers, 4 at the rear wall and two for the ceiling. On the left of me is a heavy curtain - tile floors. I live in a small space that opens up to a kitchen, but I'm sitting in the short dimension.

Have no choice really.

Without treatment everything sounds extremely muddy in this space. The panels made everything sound MUCH better, far less echoey, clearer etc.

However I decided for fun to hook up my speakers in the long dimension and sat down to listen to some music I'm familiar with. It sounded COMPLETELY different. The strangest sensation to me is that it sounded less congested. Lighter?

In the short dimension the sound takes on a heaviness - I'm sitting close to the rear wall (1/2m between couch and rear wall) that is completely absent after listening in the long dimension. It's so refreshing once that heaviness disappears.

I don't know what is happening acoustically for this to take place, but this is not my imagination. I keep coming back to this "heaviness" that disappears in the long dimension.

Does anyone else agree with this experience? Sitting in the short and then after listening in the long dimension it's just so much better. Unfortunately I can't keep my system set up like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-10-2020, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Mire View Post
So I live in an apartment. I have acoustic treatment in the room - 8 GIK panels total, two behind the speakers, 4 at the rear wall and two for the ceiling. On the left of me is a heavy curtain - tile floors. I live in a small space that opens up to a kitchen, but I'm sitting in the short dimension.

Have no choice really.

Without treatment everything sounds extremely muddy in this space. The panels made everything sound MUCH better, far less echoey, clearer etc.

However I decided for fun to hook up my speakers in the long dimension and sat down to listen to some music I'm familiar with. It sounded COMPLETELY different. The strangest sensation to me is that it sounded less congested. Lighter?

In the short dimension the sound takes on a heaviness - I'm sitting close to the rear wall (1/2m between couch and rear wall) that is completely absent after listening in the long dimension. It's so refreshing once that heaviness disappears.

I don't know what is happening acoustically for this to take place, but this is not my imagination. I keep coming back to this "heaviness" that disappears in the long dimension.

Does anyone else agree with this experience? Sitting in the short and then after listening in the long dimension it's just so much better. Unfortunately I can't keep my system set up like this.

Must be some combination of bass nulls and/or buildup and reflections. The heaviness you're experiencing with your speakers on the short wall could be a muddiness caused by the speakers being closer to the corners. With your speakers on the long wall you should be getting a wider soundstage. A great setup to experiment with, which you can best do with your speakers on the long wall, is the rule of thirds. So the distance from the front wall to the front of your speakers should be a third of the width of the room (front to back). The distance of your speakers from the side walls is a third of the length of the room (side to side).

Polk LSIM 703 / ADS L710 / AKG K240 Studio cans / Martin Logan Dynamo 300
NAD 720Bee / Schiit Modi 3 / Yamaha CD-S300 / XBOX One X
post #3 of 5 Old 01-11-2020, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Modal frequencies peak at boundaries, i.e. walls. So the "heaviness" you are hearing are multiple frequencies that are significantly louder the closer you get to the rear wall. Those same frequencies tend to decay slower also, which would also increase that same heaviness. If you only have that one seating location, some PEQ can he helpful. Most consumer level AVR's won't have that type/level of control however.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-13-2020, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
Modal frequencies peak at boundaries, i.e. walls. So the "heaviness" you are hearing are multiple frequencies that are significantly louder the closer you get to the rear wall. Those same frequencies tend to decay slower also, which would also increase that same heaviness. If you only have that one seating location, some PEQ can he helpful. Most consumer level AVR's won't have that type/level of control however.
I just have one couch, and it's basically almost right up against the rear wall. I don't know if PEQ can give me a similar type of experience as sitting in the long dimension gave me, but it's easy to tell that the bass range is all over the place from 300 hz and down.

Maybe I need to invest in Dirac - I have Audyssey XT32 which I haven't used but I don't want full range correction only bass correction.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-14-2020, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Mire View Post
I just have one couch, and it's basically almost right up against the rear wall. I don't know if PEQ can give me a similar type of experience as sitting in the long dimension gave me, but it's easy to tell that the bass range is all over the place from 300 hz and down.

Maybe I need to invest in Dirac - I have Audyssey XT32 which I haven't used but I don't want full range correction only bass correction.
You will still be up against a boundary, so no, won't be able to give you the same experience, but something like a MiniDSP can reduce the biggest peaks for your subwoofers. There are some AVR's that also have some minimal amount of EQ settings below 300Hz that could be helpful for your LCR's.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page