SoundProofing vs HDMI wall passthrough - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-10-2020, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SoundProofing vs HDMI wall passthrough

I am finishing my basement currently and doing best to contain sound. I want to pass some HDMI through the wall between my desk and media rack on the other side of the same wall. I also want to future proof needs, so I would run a few of these under my desk. Are Tripplite Ethernet Wallplate kits good? Do they restrict any quality?

Plan would be to put in blank boxes wrapped in quietputty then these Tripplite Ethernet Wallplates through them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-11-2020, 10:42 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Are you going to just drill a hole through the wall and run the wire through it or put in box(es) on each side with the wallplates? What is the wall now - drywall on studs or foam inside. If you're don't have soundproofing inside and are going to use the boxes, then maybe just offsetting the opposite boxes will reduce any sound leakage.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-11-2020, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
Are you going to just drill a hole through the wall and run the wire through it or put in box(es) on each side with the wallplates? What is the wall now - drywall on studs or foam inside. If you're don't have soundproofing inside and are going to use the boxes, then maybe just offsetting the opposite boxes will reduce any sound leakage.
Thanks for the reply. I would run through boxes wrapped in quiet putty then these plates mounted on each box on each side of the wall. Unfortunately not too much length to offset as the media rack will be almost directly through to the other side.

Maybe I just put a fat piece of conduit through the wall under the desk, run any cables through it then stuff it with Rockwool. That way I could run any and all kinds of wires in the future. Not the cleanest fix but would keep me flexible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-12-2020, 12:17 PM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I meant offsetting the boxes vertically, in the same stud channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page