Know Very Little But Trying to Set Up Bluetooth Streaming - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-11-2020, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Liked: 1874
Know Very Little But Trying to Set Up Bluetooth Streaming

I have a Nakamichi TA-4A stereo receiver in my office. I want to play music through it from my office computer (I don't like the user interface on smartphones) and the computer is about 20 feet away so I'm not thinking about hard wiring it.

Initially, I bought a Besign BE-RCA Long Range Bluetooth Audio Adapter, HiFi Wireless Music Reciver, Bluetooth 5.0 Receiver with Aptx Low Latency for Wired Speakers or Home Music Streaming Stereo System initially to stream my phone to the receiver and it works fine. As mentioned previously, I don't really like the interface of the phone.

So for the computer in order to transmit music, I have ordered Avantree DG60 aptX-HD Long Range USB Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Transmitter Adapter for PC PS4 Mac Laptop, aptX Low Latency Wireless Audio Dongle. I am hoping this works.

My question relates to audio quality. I've tried to research this and have seen some disparaging remarks about the quality of bluetooth streaming.

So the question is whether putting a DAC in the sytem would do anything tangible and, if so, would it be worth the cost. I'm thinking the DAC could be placed between the Besign and the Nakamichi receiver. I'm a mid-fi kind of guy (price-wise) and I don't speak audiophile very well. If a DAC could help, I'm thinking of the Schiit Modi 3 which is about $100.

Any thoughts or, even better, help would be appreciated. I'd even be up for someone telling me that I'm an idiot for not just running some kind of long wire along the wall from the computer to the receiver.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.

Last edited by daryl zero; 01-11-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-11-2020, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked: 2317
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I'd even be up for someone telling me that I'm an idiot for not just running some kind of long wire along the wall from the computer to the receiver.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...SABEgJSkPD_BwE

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 6 Old 01-12-2020, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Well, the cable would certainly be the cheapest option.

As I understand, aptX is supposed to deliver decent audio quality, so I’d say try it and see how it works.

I don’t know that a DAC would do anything for you (unless your computer’s soundcard is of poor quality), because ultimately you’re going to need something like the Avantree to get the signal into the air. IMO, Bluetooth is the weak link, not anything that’s in front of it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles

Last edited by Wayne A. Pflughaupt; 01-12-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-12-2020, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked: 2317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post
Well, the cable would certainly be the cheapest option.
No question.

Quote:
As I understand, aptX is supposed to deliver decent audio quality, so I’d say try it and see how it works.
"Decent" means better than standard Bluetooth, but not the best option for quality IMO. It's a convenience. Try it... It will probably work, at a cost.

Quote:
IMO, Bluetooth is the weak link, not anything that’s in front of it
I agree.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 6 Old 01-12-2020, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
So the question is whether putting a DAC in the sytem would do anything tangible and, if so, would it be worth the cost. I'm thinking the DAC could be placed between the Besign and the Nakamichi receiver. I'm a mid-fi kind of guy (price-wise) and I don't speak audiophile very well. If a DAC could help, I'm thinking of the Schiit Modi 3 which is about $100.
Most likely the Schiit's internal dac is better than the avantree's internal dac, so adding the modi 3 between the avantree and receiver should sound better. Worth trying for comparison I think.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-13-2020, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I have a Nakamichi TA-4A stereo receiver in my office. I want to play music through it from my office computer (I don't like the user interface on smartphones) and the computer is about 20 feet away so I'm not thinking about hard wiring it.
20' away in the same room?

Why aren't you thinking of hard wiring it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page