Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-11-2020, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Room layout conundrum

(Crossposting from General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms)

I've just moved into a new house, and I'm trying to figure out the best layout for my theater/great room. It will primarily be used for watching TV/movies and gaming, and only occasionally for other traditional family/living room activities.

There are two orientation that I think will work, but each has a surround speaker placement challenge. Because, of course, there has to be something...

I will be using my trusty, original release Swan Diva speakers, with R3 bipole side surrounds and the 2.1 bookshelf speakers for the rear channel.

Here are visualizations of the room. It's 17'x17', with the fireplace bumping out 2' into the room. I've got a 5040UB projector coming, so one orientation will be limited to my (current) 120" screen when oriented on the fireplace (unless I knock a hole in the wall and use my den as a hush box). The other orientation will be able to scale to larger screens if I wish because I can mount the projector in the short hall to the kitchen.

Unless the sofa is really close to the back wall (or too close to the screen), the windows present a problem for surround placement. If the sofa is close to the wall, I worry that a bipole side surround will not do well being that close to a corner, and the rear surrounds would not have enough room. If I mount the side surrounds asymmetrically, with one between the windows and forward of the seating position, is that something that room correction can account for? I wouldn't think so for a direct speaker, but bipoles can be weird.

This one looks a lot better until I look at the surround placement next to the fireplace. Again, is a bipole going to have issues being nestled into a corner (albeit the smaller corner of the fireplace column)? (Also, I lose the windows when not watching something, but I have to figure out if I care.)

In either case, would swapping the bipoles to be rears and the 2.1s to be side surrounds be the answer? I've been operating under the impression that you want to use direct rears and that bipoles are only used for sides.

I keep thinking of what-ifs, including buying a couple of new speakers (or perhaps building a new set of speakers this summer), but I'm hoping some advice from you guys will help me focus on the viable options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FireplaceScreen1.png
Views:	28
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	2668494   Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowScreen1.png
Views:	33
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	2668496  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-12-2020, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 390
I like the second arrangement better.

As I understand, bipolar are best used on the side walls of a shoe-box room like the one you have adjacent to the living room. Not sure how well they’re going to work in that room. Can’t hurt to try though.

Also, your seat looks too close to the rear wall to effectively have a 7.1 system

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #3 of 3 Old 01-13-2020, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post
I like the second arrangement better.

As I understand, bipolar are best used on the side walls of a shoe-box room like the one you have adjacent to the living room. Not sure how well they’re going to work in that room. Can’t hurt to try though.

Also, your seat looks too close to the rear wall to effectively have a 7.1 system
Yeah, I'm leaning toward that arrangement, the more I look at it.

What's the rule of thumb when it comes to distances for 7.1? I recall seeing plenty of information on angles for speaker placement, but I'll have to do more research on distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page