Does the avr try to split the subs when using both sub outs? Or run them both full ti - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-12-2020, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Does the avr try to split the subs when using both sub outs? Or run them both full ti

The other day I decided I wanted my avr sub2 out to go directly to my BOSS driver so I could have some control over it. Then I ran my YAPO on my Yamaha rxa2060, it was obvious that the mic was not able to pickup the boss riser and so it ran yapo without it.

THEN I turned on the sub2 (boss) and ruined the sub 1 sound??? WT....

The yapo configured my sub1 (minidsp to four horns) perfectly but when I turned on sub 2 it decreased the volume and well... I don’t know, has anybody experienced something like this? It’s like it reduced it by 3db and added a bunch of time delay to sub 1 or something (but it didn’t)? All while just turning sub 2 on without anything being hooked up to sub 2 at all.

I have tried this even without the BOSS amp on, as soon as I add sub2 it’s like it wants to split the sound field or something. I have now decided to buy a y adapter to before my dsp just so I can run my boss without any eq being added (Three out of dsp for subs and number four out for boss, all on avr sub 1 out). This is an easy bypass but why do I need to do this?

This seems super weird anything would happen in the sound field.... but it did. I cannot use my sub 2 without ruining my other subs and this is even without (let me be clear hear) ANYTHING PLUGGED INTO THE SUB 2 OUT AT ALL. Turn on sub 2.....horrible weird sound field. Turn it off and just run sub 1...... awesome sub sound.
I haven’t measured with REW, I’ll try that next I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-12-2020, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Does the avr try to split the subs when using both sub outs? Or run them both full ti

Did you try changing to distance and sub volume you have when it sounds good after you turn on sub 2?
post #3 of 5 Old 01-12-2020, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Are you running this as a Front / Rear Subwoofer configuration in YPAO? If so, try switching the setting to Mono aural or Left / Right. Yamaha does something weird to the timing when you use the front rear setting. That may be causing the problem.

I have a RXA2080, and my understanding is these are independent outs, not a y-split.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-12-2020, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5748 Post(s)
Liked: 4096
YPAO and other room correction technologies can't properly evaluate, measure, accommodate, take into account bass shakers. They cause errors and should not be used nor even connected during the YPAO mic test. Add them manually and set them by ear afterwards, using Y-cord to be safe in case Yamaha gets confused as to what to do when a second sub is added to sub port 2, yet none was heard during the YPAO run.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-12-2020, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I just ran some REW sweeps, my AVR cut my sub 1 output by EXACTLY 4.5db when I added (turned on) sub 2.
BTW I disconnected the boss driver so that did not see any signal while measuring. THE ONLY setting changed was turning sub 2 on or off.
I Guess that Yamaha tried to compensate for an extra subwoofer before it even measured. Hmmm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page