Need help choosing speakers for a huge room, on a budget - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-13-2020, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help choosing speakers for a huge room, on a budget

Im opening a cafe and the room is massive. I have probably £700, could stretch to more with a right reasons, i understand this isnt much for the average thread of here, especially given the room we're talking about here. There are some rubbish vintage speakers installed at the moment and theres a lot of reverb throughout the room, bass is a problem with the speakers, as well as the space itself, clearly ill need to get a sub or two but i could use some advice on how much one would spend on sub vs speakers. At the moment there are 4 wall mounted speakers in the 4 corners of the room, i'm looking for a replacement for these, any new speakers would have to be installed in the same spots due to the cabling having already being installed. In terms of a sub i could really use some advice on placement. this may seems like a silly question but can they be wall mounted? Theres another floor built in to the room, but its all open, will i need a sub for both floors ideally? Theres a sonos amp installed at the moment, id be happy to look for an improvement in the future maybe but for now this will probably have to do as i dont want to divvy out any more money for it if possible.

I'd be immensely grateful for any advice/suggestions and willing to take any questions. Music's really improtant to me at work and it's improtant to me that we dont have a flabby, underwealming vibe for the customers.

A note about the pictures, there are a buch of soft fabrics that have been put in since they were taken, including a large curtain covering the entire wall you see on the right of the second photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gjhr.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	2669432   Click image for larger version

Name:	tyrs.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	2669434  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-13-2020, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Can you start off by describing the experience you would like your cafe to have? I do not normally expect to hear loud or high-quality audio when I go into a cafe.

I'm not criticizing you or anything here. I expect I'm not the only one who will be uncertain of what your goals are, and it's hard to recommend much.

Generally you can wall-mount any speaker you want - even a subwoofer - as long as you support the weight of the speaker well enough to not vibrate your speaker right off the wall, and also well enough to not cause the rest of the wall to vibrate. A wall-mounted subwoofer isn't going to be very cool if it's causing every coffee cup and/or pint glass in your place to rattle, right? You could also look into infinite baffle subwoofers where you would just install the sub right to the wall and the "box" to the subwoofer is just... the other room behind the wall. (Front of the sub and rear of the sub would face different rooms). There are also in-wall speakers and subwoofers where the box is built into the space of the wall, but generally it's easier to install those when your walls are torn down.

If you have a lot of reverb you'll want to get a lot of relatively soft materials on your walls. You can make your own acoustic panels if you like. Use something like hardened mineral boards; you can wrap them in decorative fabric or something. Some people at home recommend people have bookcases filled with books or other "acoustically soft" items on them, but that might be more difficult in a cafe, so I think acoustic panels are going to be your way to go. You won't have to totally cover the walls, though you might have to do some research to figure out how to effectively lay them out.

Anyway, I can't recommend specific gear at this time, but I will say you should probably go for a large quantity of decent-quality speakers, rather than buying a few speakers that can really get loud. When I go out to a club, I absolutely hate it when the volume varies a lot when I move around, because they have too few speakers. Stand close to a speaker? Way too loud. Stand far away? Not loud enough. I hate that.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-13-2020, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Maybe think about a few small Bluetooth or wireless options placed strategically around the room for pockets of sound instead of trying to fill the room with sound.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
large room sub recommendation speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page