Rear heights with Dolby Atmos enabled speakers. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-14-2020, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I've been looking at the Dolby speaker guides and I don't see exactly what I have.

I just replaced a Sony DA5600ES with a Denon x6500h and also picked up some Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR (upward firing Atmos enabled front L/R) to get quick and easy Atmos.

In my old 5.1 system, I had two rear wall mounted speakers as surrounds (not ideal, I now know, but behind main seat about 6 feet high and about 8 feet apart). They are angled in and aimed down towards the main seat.

Now that I have the Atmos fronts, I'm using my old front L/R (they are small Sony satellite speakers) as the L/R surrounds and placed more optimally.

My dilemma is this - Dolby shows a 7.1.2 using front Atmos enabled and two rear surrounds, or a hybrid 5.1.4 using front Atmos enabled and a pair of ceiling Atmos speakers. They don't show anything with rear heights which I'm thinking is what I should consider my old rear high wall mounted surrounds.

Given the height of the old surrounds, is it better to have a 5.1.4 with the rears as heights or a 7.1.2 with the rears as rear surround?

If I use them as heights should I change the angles (they are currently angled in and down towards the main seating position)?

The Denon actually has a speaker setup choice of front Dolby Atmos enabled speakers and rear heights in addition to a choice of rear surrounds with front DA enabled speakers.

Thanks.

*edit* picture taken from Denon owners manual. This is almost my setup exactly (no front heights, and front left and right are Atmos enabled speakers). Do I use the high mounted rears as rear surround or rear height?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200114-143551_Gallery_1579030583636.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	2669954  

Last edited by rcy100; 01-14-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-14-2020, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The manual for my AVR shows a 5.1.4 configuration with front and rear heights, so I think it's a supported configuration. I see what you're talking about, though; the dolby site seems to have a lot of overhead Atmos configurations, and nothing else.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-14-2020, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 7459 Post(s)
Liked: 6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcy100 View Post
Given the height of the old surrounds, is it better to have a 5.1.4 with the rears as heights or a 7.1.2 with the rears as rear surround?
Most of the soundtrack is in the base layer, with relatively little in the height layer. So those speakers would be more useful as Rears rather than Rear Heights. Would also help if you could lower them closer to seated ear height. Down the road, you could put a couple of upfiring modules on the Rear speakers, since your receiver is capable of doing 7.1.4.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page