High Power Zone 2 Volume Control - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-14-2020, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question High Power Zone 2 Volume Control

I have an Onkyo TX-NR3010 and an Emotiva XPA-200 for Zone 2. I used the external amp so I can synchronize the audio between the main zone and second zone. The Emotiva puts out 150 watts per channel is is driving 2x Polk Audio 265-LS which can handle up to 200 Watts.

Every transformer based Volume controller that I've used burns out in a few months. Even ones that advertise 300Watt power handling.

Where the in-wall volume controller is, I have 4 wires and also a CAT-5.

What are my options? I'm trying to evaluate if I can use a passive volume controller in between the AMP and Receiver. Does this actually work and reduce the power output of the amp?

If that works, is there a passive volume controller that has an in-wall remote?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-15-2020, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 390
A passive volume control (also known as an L-pad) is basically a high-powered variable resistor inserted between the amplifier and speaker. Technically it doesn’t reduce the power from the amp, but reduces the power that reaches the speaker (I know, I know – a difference without a distinction ). The excess is dissipated as heat. They typically have power ratings as well, so they can also be burned out.

It appears you were paying attention to the power-rating specs on your transformer controls – that’s good. Don’t know much about these devices myself, but Home Theater Direct sells a couple that are rated for 75 watts RMS and 300 watts program. That should be sufficient for a secondary zone application.

I expect the problem may be that you’re running two pairs of speakers at the other end, which is demanding twice as much power from the amp as would be needed with only a single pair. That could be what’s burning out your volume controls.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #3 of 3 Old 01-15-2020, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked: 2868
Just use a cheap learning remote and a radio control infrared receiver/blaster and skip the wall mounted volume control altogether.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; Yesterday at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page