New 5.1.2 ATMOS Setup - Noobie help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By m0j0
  • 1 Post By Douglas W

post #1 of 8 Old 01-16-2020, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 2
New 5.1.2 ATMOS Setup - Noobie help

Need some noobie help, as I'm confused after all my research. I've got a small room I'm working on a 5.1.2 setup in and I'm uncertain as to the placement of the .2 ATMOS speakers in regards to the type I'm using. Here's my setup:

- Basic square room, so assume the TV is on the north wall.

- Side walls are 10' 10"
- N/S walls are 11' 11"

- MLP is approximately 6' - 6 1/2' when reclined from the north wall.

- Front speakers: I've got my L/R floor standing speakers approximately 3 feet from the side walls. The C is in the middle below the TV.

- Rear surrounds are in the rear corners of the room. - Question, should I point these in toward the MLP or leave them facing directly forward?

ATMOS:
--- So reading some threads, I understand that the optimum position for my atmos speakers would at a 30 degree angle from my MLP (which are 2 independent recliners, right next to each other). I understand that I measured the distance from my ceiling to my ears which is 60". Assuming my middle line is 5'6" (66") I place the ATMOS speakers 60" toward the north wall from the center line. That puts me pretty much in line with my front L/R speakers.

Now my question is, I'm using these Boston Acoustic on wall 4.5" ATMOS speakers. I've read multiple things that have confused me in regards to their placement, because they are on-wall and not in ceiling speakers. Can anyone help me out? My initial understanding is to place them as high as I can on the wall, near the ceiling, point them toward the MLP and due to the size of my room they'd be right at about in line with my L/R speakers. Or, do I mount them just a few feet above the L/R speakers and at the same distance from the middle line?

Confused on this. Lastly I guess, just for kicks, I've read some stuff that indicated based on the fact that I'm only doing a 5.1.2, that the .2 won't be as noticeable, especially with the size of my room, and that people in my position would be better suited going with a standard 7.1.

Again, these are just my thoughts based on my research and I could really use some help getting it figured out. Thanks!

LG 55" C9 OLED, Denon AVR X3500H, Sony PS4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-16-2020, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
Your a little confused on the atmos placement I think. You want a 45 degree angle, but taking the measurement from ears to ceiling would be to determine how far forward and back to go from the MLP to get proper angle in a .4 type atmos setup. If you are doing .2, I think you would want to mount them even with or just slightly forward of the MLP, and in line with the front left and eight speakers.

I have a small room as well but went with a .4 atmos setup. You can check the pics in the link of my signature.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-16-2020, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Quoted: 7549 Post(s)
Liked: 6713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas W View Post
MLP is approximately 6' - 6 1/2' when reclined from the north wall.
For smoother bass response (fewer/smaller peaks & dips), move the seating about a foot or so back so that the listeners' ears end up at 2/3 room length (slightly over 7') from the front wall.
Quote:
I've got my L/R floor standing speakers approximately 3 feet from the side walls.
If you can centre the woofers of your L/R speakers 2 feet from the side walls, you will get smoother frequency response AND greater seat to seat consistency.
Quote:
Rear surrounds are in the rear corners of the room. - Question, should I point these in toward the MLP or leave them facing directly forward?
I would aim the Front speakers and Surround speakers at the listener farthest away (to compensate for distance).
Quote:
I've read multiple things that have confused me in regards to their placement, because they are on-wall and not in ceiling speakers.
They come with a mounting bracket that allows them to be mounted on any surface (wall or ceiling). Atmos is very forgiving of speaker placement. If you mount them on the ceiling, place them mid way between the Front and Surround speakers (a couple feet forward of the MLP), spread apart the same distance as the L/R speakers.

If you mount them high up on the side walls, then place them directly to the sides of the MLP. This will create a soundstage above the listeners, with lots of phantom imaging overhead. Where ever you end up mounting them (ceiling or side walls), their sound will be heard clearly above you, satisfying the intent of Atmos. Hard to mess it up. Remember to aim them at the listener farthest away.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-16-2020, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Your a little confused on the atmos placement I think. You want a 45 degree angle, but taking the measurement from ears to ceiling would be to determine how far forward and back to go from the MLP to get proper angle in a .4 type atmos setup. If you are doing .2, I think you would want to mount them even with or just slightly forward of the MLP, and in line with the front left and eight speakers.

I have a small room as well but went with a .4 atmos setup. You can check the pics in the link of my signature.
I am probably confused, and after you mention the 45 deg angle I recall reading that. My research has left my head spinning a bit. As far as mounting them in line with the front L/R I'd need to mount the speakers I linked to actually on the ceiling and run the speaker wire across the ceiling to do it (Mounting in the ceiling isn't an option) so my intent was to mount them on the side wall. I'll be running some small crown molding to hide the speaker wire. In this setup, as the user stated below your post, should I mount the speakers right next to the MLP, rather than just forward. If I should still mount them just forward of the MLP, and since I'm not doing a proper .4 setup, should I just go maybe a foot or two forward rather than the 4-5 feet I would do in a proper setup?

Also, that theater setup in your signature is fantastic. My kids loved looking at the pics as well! Great job. What are the dimensions of that room? I loved seeing how close your rear surrounds are to listeners heads. My wife thought I was crazy for the 3 feet I have to my rears from our reclined positions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
For smoother bass response (fewer/smaller peaks & dips), move the seating about a foot or so back so that the listeners' ears end up at 2/3 room length (slightly over 7') from the front wall. If you can centre the woofers of your L/R speakers 2 feet from the side walls, you will get smoother frequency response AND greater seat to seat consistency. I would aim the Front speakers and Surround speakers at the listener farthest away (to compensate for distance). They come with a mounting bracket that allows them to be mounted on any surface (wall or ceiling). Atmos is very forgiving of speaker placement. If you mount them on the ceiling, place them mid way between the Front and Surround speakers (a couple feet forward of the MLP), spread apart the same distance as the L/R speakers.

If you mount them high up on the side walls, then place them directly to the sides of the MLP. This will create a soundstage above the listeners, with lots of phantom imaging overhead. Where ever you end up mounting them (ceiling or side walls), their sound will be heard clearly above you, satisfying the intent of Atmos. Hard to mess it up. Remember to aim them at the listener farthest away.
I've read so much about how the angle has to be correct with ATMOS or you aren't getting the effects of it and that placement is important. It's got me a bit out of sorts trying to figure it out hence my post.

I can't really move the recliners back anymore without being to close to the rears and impeding some of the walk around distance. The room actually has an door opening (no door) on the rear left side. I could move my L/R, but probably not to much. I've got my sub sitting in the front left corner so it prevents moving the front left speaker out much further without running into each other.

Mounting on the ceiling isn't in the cards so I'll be mounting high up on the ceiling, probably 3-4" below the ceiling, just underneath the crown molding I'm putting up to hide speaker wire.

Thank you both for the replies. I really appreciate the help. From what I can gather from your responses, pending any new ones in response to this post, I'll most likely mount high up on the side walls, to the sides of the MLP.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-16-2020, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Up high on the side walls is fine. In that case, I would mount even with your ears and angle the speaker from one side to the farthest seat on the opposite side and vice verse for the other speaker. Also, I would try moving the seats back a bit as there is a serious null toward the middle of the room. You want to be about 3/4’s of the way back from the front wall for the best sound. And don’t worry about being a few feet from the speakers. Audyssey will lower trim levels to compensate when you run room correction.

As for the sub, you can try swapping the sub inside and moving the speaker outside. You want your fronts about as wide as you are back from the center channel (example, 9 feet wide and 9 feet back, making a triangle).

Dimensions of my room are 13’2” deep x 12’4” wide.
Douglas W likes this.

Last edited by m0j0; 01-16-2020 at 07:55 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-17-2020, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Quoted: 7549 Post(s)
Liked: 6713
Quote:
I've read so much about how the angle has to be correct with ATMOS or you aren't getting the effects of it and that placement is important.
Dolby's install guide for home Atmos gives a range for placement of a single pair of height speakers: anywhere from 65° elevation to 100° elevation.

For the typical room with an 8-foot ceiling, those elevation angles translate to anywhere from a little over 2 feet in front of the MLP to about 1 foot behind the MLP. That's an over 3-foot placement range on the ceiling. So no need to stress about precise placement angles because they don't exist for the home Atmos format. If you ever get a chance to talk to a Dolby rep, they'll tell you that it's hard to get Atmos wrong. If sounds from the height speakers appear to be coming from above you rather than around you, then your Atmos set-up is working as intended.

Sanjay
post #7 of 8 Old 01-17-2020, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

I think I got it all setup good. Sounds good to me anyway, which is what matters. I've got em positioned just under the ceiling on the sidewall, about a foot, if that, in front of the MLP. Played Altered Carbon loud just to get a good idea in a gun fight scene and I loved it.

Thanks for help, much appreciated!

On a side note, I tried to play some Dolby Atmos test videos from YouTube, and obviously they only play in Stereo? How are people using these video's to appropriately test ATMOS?
m0j0 likes this.

post #8 of 8 Old 01-19-2020, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think I got it all setup good. Sounds good to me anyway, which is what matters. I've got em positioned just under the ceiling on the sidewall, about a foot, if that, in front of the MLP. Played Altered Carbon loud just to get a good idea in a gun fight scene and I loved it.

Thanks for help, much appreciated!

On a side note, I tried to play some Dolby Atmos test videos from YouTube, and obviously they only play in Stereo? How are people using these video's to appropriately test ATMOS?

I never use Youtube. I download the videos directly and play them via my Nvidia Shield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page