• 1 Post By GZoomer
  • 1 Post By MTVhike

post #1 of 3 Old 03-23-2020, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Technics Sl dd33 turntable

I just bought this rather basic turntable it's direct-drive automatic doesn't seem to have much adjustment.

I have a service manual and user, the sound and or speed is slightly up and down and sounds a bit muffled, do I presume it needs a new cartridge, bit of service, oil the spindle, or is it worn out with age.

I know it's difficult without listening but any advice for a newbie about this or similar would be great thank you

The amp is quite aged also
A Technics su v460.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-29-2020, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthefish View Post
I just bought this rather basic turntable it's direct-drive automatic doesn't seem to have much adjustment.

I have a service manual and user, the sound and or speed is slightly up and down and sounds a bit muffled, do I presume it needs a new cartridge, bit of service, oil the spindle, or is it worn out with age.

I know it's difficult without listening but any advice for a newbie about this or similar would be great thank you

The amp is quite aged also
A Technics su v460.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I have this turn table from new and still have it. Listening to a lot of jazz from the 40s to the 60s on it. The original cartridge didn’t last that long And was not very good.. I would replace that. In terms of speed mine has aLways been rock solid. It has got to be over 20 years old. My mother gave mine to me as a Christmas gift when I was in my 20s I’m 51 now. If it has speed problems I would move on.
jamesthefish likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-31-2020, 07:43 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I'm no expert, but you seem to have two problems. The cartridge may be bad, but before you address that, you need to address the "speed is slightly up and down" problem (called wow). Try doing what you plan to get the wow down. Play a record with long, sustained tones (piano or organ is good). Is the TT warped (the arm goes up and down)? If you can't solve this problem, then you probably give up on this TT. If you can fix the wow problem, then replace the cartridge.
jamesthefish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page