• 2 Post By kgveteran
  • 2 Post By kgveteran

post #1 of 22 Old 04-01-2020, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Just ran Audyssey and my center ch scored a big zero in my book, XO was 110hz!!!!!!!, the mains looked about right at 40hz. You can hear the lack of bass during the sweeps...
I know the issue is the fack that it sits centered between the side walls, floor to ceiling is off centered enough :0/
I swapped it out with the mains and its a positional issue.......what to do

I know if i off set it, it’ll drive me nutz, its a AT screen.....

I feel a little guilty crossing it over at 80hz and not addressing the gap

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction

Last edited by kgveteran; 04-01-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-02-2020, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Liked: 1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Just ran Audyssey and my center ch scored a big zero in my book, XO was 110hz!!!!!!!, the mains looked about right at 40hz. You can hear the lack of bass during the sweeps...
I know the issue is the fack that it sits centered between the side walls, floor to ceiling is off centered enough :0/

Do you have a way to measure your response? If so, do a nearfield measurement of the CC to check the native response. If it has a drop off around 110 Hz, you have an issue with the speaker. If it has the expected response, you have an issue with your in-room placement.
CalJake likes this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
My System (Edited Feb. 2020 to add 4K and Atmos updates)
post #3 of 22 Old 04-03-2020, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Quote:

Don't rely on Audyssey for crossover settings. Everyone overrides them.

You probably shouldn't even have the mains set to 40Hz, either...

80Hz mains, 80-100Hz centre, 120Hz surrounds, 120Hz LFE, and you're done.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | KEF Q650c Centre | KEF Q150 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch | TBA: KEF Q750 Front L/R

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 04-04-2020, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Don't rely on Audyssey for crossover settings. Everyone overrides them.

You probably shouldn't even have the mains set to 40Hz, either...

80Hz mains, 80-100Hz centre, 120Hz surrounds, 120Hz LFE, and you're done.
If the CC actually roll-off's at 110 Hz, then setting the xover to 80 or 100 Hz leaves an uncorrected gap from 80/100 to 110.

Close-mic'd measurement of the CC will tell the story. If it's flat to the same frequency as the L/R's, but there is an anomaly at the listening/measurement position, then we know the problem is the response at the LP, not at the speaker itself. My suspicion is that there is a null in FR measured by Audyssey just below 110 Hz that is just broad enough that it is being interpreted as the F3. Hence the "next highest" crossover setting. If the near field response is flat, and LP response comes back up to normal below the null, then finding a better placement of the CC is the best correction. Either that or some other method of null abatement.

Craig
CalJake, RayGuy and mthomas47 like this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-06-2020, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Quote:

I know if i off set it, it’️ll drive me nutz, its a AT screen.....

Do you have a way to measure your response? If so, do a nearfield measurement of the CC to check the native response. If it has a drop off around 110 Hz, you have an issue with the speaker. If it has the expected response, you have an issue with your in-room placement.
Its totally placement......the speaker hits 40hz XO as a R&L, i switched em around

And im still using my Tumults from 2005 too hahaha

Last edited by kgveteran; 04-06-2020 at 05:10 PM.
post #6 of 22 Old 04-06-2020, 04:33 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Quoted: 5979 Post(s)
Liked: 12237
Quote:

Quote:
Its totally placement......the speaker hits 40hz XO as a R&L

Hi,

This isn't something that you hear about much anymore, although I successfully tried it a few years ago with a rear surround speaker which wasn't getting enough boundary gain to suit me. You could try to put some kind of baffle board several inches behind your CC. It could be anything, but I would use a couple of thicknesses of good plywood or MDF, probably covered in a thick fabric. You would just have to experiment, but it wouldn't take too much to drop the frequency response from 110Hz down to a little below 80Hz.

It isn't just the unEQed frequency response, below 110Hz, that would concern me. If you set the crossover at 80Hz, it is also the fact that you would be trying to force the speaker to play frequencies that it really can't. The crossover helps it to roll-off where it ought to, before volume boosts can force it to play with some distortion. I think that you are much more likely to get clearer sound, if the crossover corresponds better to the speaker's natural roll-off.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-06-2020, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Then you only have a few options:
1. Move the speaker;
2. Move the listening position;
3. Lower the crossover and accept the gap in correction.

Lombardi said it:
post #8 of 22 Old 04-06-2020, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Then you only have a few options:
1. Move the speaker;
2. Move the listening position;
3. Lower the crossover and accept the gap in correction.
I’ll move the center ch, but space is limited, best i can do is 6” left or right
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47270D6D-CE74-4D33-BED8-7408E943CC7E_1586219088341.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	2706742  

post #9 of 22 Old 04-07-2020, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I’ll move the center ch, but space is limited, best i can do is 6” left or right
I suspect your issue is a significant null around 110 Hz fooling Audyssey into thinking the speaker's -3 dB point is higher than it actually is. Measurement would confirm this. If this is the issue, moving your listening position a foot or two front or back would be the easiest solution.

Lombardi said it:
post #10 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked: 3107
Did you run Audyssey more than once? You could have just got a bad reading.
post #11 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I’️ll move the center ch, but space is limited, best i can do is 6” left or right
I suspect your issue is a significant null around 110 Hz fooling Audyssey into thinking the speaker's -3 dB point is higher than it actually is. Measurement would confirm this. If this is the issue, moving your listening position a foot or two front or back would be the easiest solution.
The listening position im in now puts me in a real flat sub response, you know “bassheads” love their bass.... matter of fact i dont even use my MiniDSP2x4 cause its so stupid flat Lol. Its being used as a splitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Did you run Audyssey more than once? You could have just got a bad reading.
Yup, i moved the mains LCR around and re-ran audyssey to see if there was a problem with the speakers, its that damn location :0/

post #12 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Quote:

I know if i off set it, it will drive me nutz, its a AT screen.....

Quote:

Hi,

This isn't something that you hear about much anymore, although I successfully tried it a few years ago with a rear surround speaker which wasn't getting enough boundary gain to suit me. You could try to put some kind of baffle board several inches behind your CC. It could be anything, but I would use a couple of thicknesses of good plywood or MDF, probably covered in a thick fabric. You would just have to experiment, but it wouldn't take too much to drop the frequency response from 110Hz down to a little below 80Hz.

It isn't just the unEQed frequency response, below 110Hz, that would concern me. If you set the crossover at 80Hz, it is also the fact that you would be trying to force the speaker to play frequencies that it really can't. The crossover helps it to roll-off where it ought to, before volume boosts can force it to play with some distortion. I think that you are much more likely to get clearer sound, if the crossover corresponds better to the speaker's natural roll-off.

Regards,
Mike
I’m gonna take a good look at the boundries.... this is an interesting perspective.
We read all the time here of room boundary issues, why couldnt i “create” a boundary issue with purpose, a BSC type thing
mthomas47 likes this.

Last edited by kgveteran; 04-08-2020 at 05:24 AM.
post #13 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Hi,

Mike,

A 110 Hz soundwave has a wavelength of 10.3 feet. Half-wavelength would be 5.15 feet. He would need a baffle of that dimension on all 4 sides to block the front wave from canceling the back wave, and to get any "boundary gain" at 110 Hz. 80 Hz has a wavelength of just a hair over 14 feet, so the baffle would need to be 7 feet in all directions around the speaker to have an impact at 80 Hz. From the pic he posted, I don't believe he has that much real estate. He can try a smaller baffle, but I wouldn't expect much impact in the 80 to 110 Hz range. Also, to avoid "baffle step" issues, the baffle should be flush with the front edge of the speaker.

Quote:
Audyssey won't "force the speaker to play frequencies it really can't." It won't boost, (or cut), below the measured F3 even if the crossover is set below the measured F3. It will simply leave that spectrum "uncorrected." If there is indeed a null in that range, Audyssey, (fortunately), won't try to boost it. Besides, from everything kgveteren has said, the speaker is easily capable of those frequencies. Audyssey just doesn't measure it that way.

The more I think about this, the only downside of using a 110 Hz crossover is the potential for subwoofer localization. If there is, in fact, a significant null at just below 110 Hz that is causing Audyssey to find an F3 of 110 Hz, sending that content to the subs is the best way to have that content reproduced by the system. With dual displaced subs, subwoofer localization should be minimized. I suspect kg's biggest gripe is that he built a speaker capable of 40 Hz and he can't use it that way. But, as Don Henley said:

Quote:
Get over it
Get over it
All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it, get over it
kg, that was a joke!

Therefore, I am going to change my advice to one of the following two options:
1. Leave the CC crossover at 110 Hz and take note of whether deep male voices are localized to the subwoofers. In not, you're good to go, and all content will be reproduced by the "system." If subwoofer localization is a problem:

2. Set the CC crossover to 80 Hz. This will result in a gap in correction from 80 to 110 Hz, but will eliminate subwoofer localization.

Craig
mthomas47 and D Bone like this.

Lombardi said it:
post #14 of 22 Old 04-08-2020, 12:44 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Quoted: 5979 Post(s)
Liked: 12237
Quote:
I’m gonna take a good look at the boundries.... this is an interesting perspective.
We read all the time here of room boundary issues, why couldnt i “create” a boundary issue with purpose, a BSC type thing

Hi,

I think it would be worth your while to do that. I think we all know that two thicknesses of 5/8" sheetrock, with no insulation in between, can create boundary gain, as that is the typical construction of an interior wall or partition. Two 5/8" or 3/4'' thicknesses of plywood or MDF, with an air gap between them and the boundary wall shown in your photo, should certainly help to lower the frequency response of your center channel. In any event, it will be pretty easy to tell whether or not it works.

My concern about distortion, to which Craig replied, really had nothing to do with Audyssey. As he said, Audyssey stops EQing at the F3 point of a speaker. But, either with Audyssey on, or Audyssey off, your own volume boosts will make the center channel play frequencies below 110Hz louder, if you lower your crossover to 80Hz. Doing that won't harm your speaker, but if you try to make it play lower than it really can at that particular position in the room, and at any very significant volume levels, you may pick-up some distortion as it tries to play frequencies down to about 80Hz.

I think that can especially be a concern for the center channel, as it carries a good bit of low-bass content, and as many HT owners like to bump the volume of their CC's in relation to their other channels. With overhead speakers for instance, dropping crossovers below their measured F3 points is less of a concern, because they won't carry a lot of low-bass content to begin with. But, the CC does. And, any loss of clarity at all might be more noticeable in the channel that carries nearly all of the dialogue.

Of course, you can always experiment to determine whether there is any perceived loss of clarity from the CC, with an 80Hz crossover, at higher volume levels. If not, you are good to go. But, if there is, I might try to find a way to give the CC a little better low-bass response, with a baffle board, so that I could use an 80Hz crossover.

If you can't find a way to drop the frequency response, then I would agree with Craig that there would be no real harm in lowering your crossover a bit, anyway. But, in that case, I might be conservative, and only drop it to 100Hz, or to 90Hz. If I did drop it to 80Hz, I would want to be sure that I wasn't trading volume increases for clarity decreases. As with almost everything in audio/HT, there is some trial-and-error, and some potential compromise involved, in the settings we pick.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 04-08-2020 at 12:47 PM.
post #15 of 22 Old 04-09-2020, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Mike,

A 110 Hz soundwave has a wavelength of 10.3 feet. Half-wavelength would be 5.15 feet. He would need a baffle of that dimension on all 4 sides to block the front wave from canceling the back wave, and to get any "boundary gain" at 110 Hz. 80 Hz has a wavelength of just a hair over 14 feet, so the baffle would need to be 7 feet in all directions around the speaker to have an impact at 80 Hz. From the pic he posted, I don't believe he has that much real estate. He can try a smaller baffle, but I wouldn't expect much impact in the 80 to 110 Hz range. Also, to avoid "baffle step" issues, the baffle should be flush with the front edge of the speaker.

Quote:
Audyssey won't "force the speaker to play frequencies it really can't." It won't boost, (or cut), below the measured F3 even if the crossover is set below the measured F3. It will simply leave that spectrum "uncorrected." If there is indeed a null in that range, Audyssey, (fortunately), won't try to boost it. Besides, from everything kgveteren has said, the speaker is easily capable of those frequencies. Audyssey just doesn't measure it that way.

The more I think about this, the only downside of using a 110 Hz crossover is the potential for subwoofer localization. If there is, in fact, a significant null at just below 110 Hz that is causing Audyssey to find an F3 of 110 Hz, sending that content to the subs is the best way to have that content reproduced by the system. With dual displaced subs, subwoofer localization should be minimized. I suspect kg's biggest gripe is that he built a speaker capable of 40 Hz and he can't use it that way. But, as Don Henley said:

Quote:
Get over it
Get over it
All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it, get over it
kg, that was a joke! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Therefore, I am going to change my advice to one of the following two options:
1. Leave the CC crossover at 110 Hz and take note of whether deep male voices are localized to the subwoofers. In not, you're good to go, and all content will be reproduced by the "system." If subwoofer localization is a problem:

2. Set the CC crossover to 80 Hz. This will result in a gap in correction from 80 to 110 Hz, but will eliminate subwoofer localization.

Craig
So, if i was to construct a Experimental baffle for my center Ch. it would have to be flush with the speakers front baffle, not acting as a wall behind it......

post #16 of 22 Old 04-09-2020, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
So, if i was to construct a Experimental baffle for my center Ch. it would have to be flush with the speakers front baffle, not acting as a wall behind it......
I think we're having a bit of a disconnect here between "boundaries" and "baffles". Boundaries are the walls, floor and ceiling AROUND a speaker. Baffles are a part of the speaker, integrated into the design of the speaker "enclosure".

Here's a description of boundary gain: https://sites.google.com/site/amateu...undary-effects A boundary wall needs to be big enough to be an actual "boundary".

Here is a description of a baffle wall: http://www.pmiltd.com/published%20ar...ed%20Again.pdf
Here is a case study of the installation of a baffle wall: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/201...ers-demo-room/
A baffle wall extends from floor to ceiling and from one side boundary to the other side boundary. The speakers are mount IN the baffle wall and flush with the front side of it.

Baffle walls can be used with unenclosed speakers, like those designed as infinite baffle in-walls, or with sealed speakers. The later generally need "boundary step compensation" to adjust for the fact that they are generally designed for in-room use. Rear-ported speakers would not be appropriate for use with baffle walls because the rear ports would fire into the space behind the baffle wall.

Baffle wings are a 3rd variant. These are like what I described previously where they need to be as wide as 1/2 wavelength of the lowest frequency you are interested in. They are also built flush with the front edge of the speaker:

Baffle wings are often used with "open baffle" speakers, (first pic), but they can also be used with sealed speakers, as above. Rear-ported speakers could be used as long as the ports are tuned well below the 1/2 wavelength width of the baffle.

Decide which of the three variants you want and build it accordingly, within the physical limitations of your system.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

Last edited by craig john; 04-09-2020 at 10:53 AM.
post #17 of 22 Old 04-12-2020, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I think we're having a bit of a disconnect here between "boundaries" and "baffles". Boundaries are the walls, floor and ceiling AROUND a speaker. Baffles are a part of the speaker, integrated into the design of the speaker "enclosure".

Here's a description of boundary gain: https://sites.google.com/site/amateu...undary-effects A boundary wall needs to be big enough to be an actual "boundary".

Here is a description of a baffle wall: http://www.pmiltd.com/published%20ar...ed%20Again.pdf
Here is a case study of the installation of a baffle wall: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/201...ers-demo-room/
A baffle wall extends from floor to ceiling and from one side boundary to the other side boundary. The speakers are mount IN the baffle wall and flush with the front side of it.

Baffle walls can be used with unenclosed speakers, like those designed as infinite baffle in-walls, or with sealed speakers. The later generally need "boundary step compensation" to adjust for the fact that they are generally designed for in-room use. Rear-ported speakers would not be appropriate for use with baffle walls because the rear ports would fire into the space behind the baffle wall.

Baffle wings are a 3rd variant. These are like what I described previously where they need to be as wide as 1/2 wavelength of the lowest frequency you are interested in. They are also built flush with the front edge of the speaker:

Baffle wings are often used with "open baffle" speakers, (first pic), but they can also be used with sealed speakers, as above. Rear-ported speakers could be used as long as the ports are tuned well below the 1/2 wavelength width of the baffle.

Decide which of the three variants you want and build it accordingly, within the physical limitations of your system.

Craig
Ok, im gonna see what comes of this, i dont even have to wait for results from audyssey, then the sweep cycles from Left spkr to Center i can hear the absent bass response

post #18 of 22 Old 04-12-2020, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Ok, im gonna see what comes of this, i dont even have to wait for results from audyssey, then the sweep cycles from Left spkr to Center i can hear the absent bass response
I don't know what you mean by "sweep cycles"? If you're using the receiver's internal pink noise tones and switching from the L to CC, and the lack of bass is noticeable, that tells you that there is "something" causing a lack of bass from the CC itself. However, it doesn't tell you if the setup of your *system* will compensate for the lack of bass from the CC. If the problem is a null, (which seems like the most likely problem*), and you're using subs and Bass Management with a crossover high enough to cover the CC's null, then only a system check that uses the CC in conjunction with the subs will tell you if the subs fill in the null from the CC. If they do, then it really doesn't matter if the CC has a null. You won't be able to tell when you're actually listening to content.

You would need *external* test tones to check the speakers and the subs TOGETHER. Full range signals sent to the receiver with Bass Management engaged will tell you if the *system* has flat overall response. This is all you should really care about, (except for the previously described issue of subwoofer localization.)

I will re-emphasize that in-room measurements are the best way to determine the actual problem. They will also be the best way to determine if any solution you come up with is actually effectively fixing the problem. With as much as you have invested in your system, a $75 mic and free software, (REW), would be an investment worth its' weight in gold for optimizing your system!
https://www.minidsp.com/products/aco...8aAvbMEALw_wcB
https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

*I assume you've checked the speaker itself to ensure that all the drivers are functioning properly?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
post #19 of 22 Old 04-12-2020, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@craig john
@mthomas47

Well, aint this some sh$t

I leaned a piece of ply behind the center, and set a second piece on top, i use pillows stuffed with pink fluffy behind my screen area, cuts down on reflection issues, eats up a little standing wave stuff.......but any way placed those pillows around the improv “lean to” and it must be enough for Audyssey to do its thing.

The main LCR came in at 40hz

I used 60hz on the mains and surrounds, 100hz for the Atmos........ now to listen

Im dying over here :0) nothing EVER works like this !!!!

Because i own curious cats, and this device is new, i’ll need to pull it out and at least drill some drywall screws, they will have to sit on it to prove superiority. Securing it is def needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C4380BA6-F253-482D-8680-028BEB9E02E9_1586743073885.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	2709288  
mthomas47 and craig john like this.

Last edited by kgveteran; 04-13-2020 at 04:43 AM.
post #20 of 22 Old 04-13-2020, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
@craig john
@mthomas47

I leaned a piece of ply behind the center, and set a second piece on top, i use pillows stuffed with pink fluffy behind my screen area, cuts down on reflection issues, eats up a little standing wave stuff.......but any way placed those pillows around the improv “lean to” and it must be enough for Audyssey to do its thing.

I used 60hz on the mains and surrounds, 100hz for the Atmos........ now to listen

Because i own curious cats, and this device is new, i’ll need to pull it out and at least drill some drywall screws, they will have to sit on it to prove superiority. Securing it is def needed.
Does the CC sound different on pink noise with the panels installed?

Lombardi said it:
post #21 of 22 Old 04-13-2020, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
@craig john
@mthomas47

Because i own curious cats, and this device is new, i’️ll need to pull it out and at least drill some drywall screws, they will have to sit on it to prove superiority. Securing it is def needed.
Does the CC sound different on pink noise with the panels installed?
I could hear the difference right away when the sweep noise of Audyssey went from the Left speaker to the Center, the damn thing responded down to 40hz
craig john and mthomas47 like this.

post #22 of 22 Old 04-15-2020, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I tryed both 60hz XO and 80hz XO, for whatever reason 80hz sounds better