Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-01-2020, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Arc inputs

Hello,

I am sure there was questions asked about this but I don’t know the right words to search. My question is pretty simple.

1-My cb (cable box) and bd are hooked up to the tv by HDMI cables. I have a high speed HDMI cable connected from the TV eARC to the receiver HDMI OUT ARC. If I want to listen to sound of cb or bd or Netflix through the receiver, which input do I select on the receiver?

2-Same question for the tv but the cb and bd are now connected to the receiver instead?

I don’t have the equipments with me so I can’t test it myself. This is the first time I am temping to play with ACR

Thx

Last edited by amati5; 04-01-2020 at 11:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-02-2020, 12:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 668
1- the arc input.

2- the input to which the receiver is connected.

Each device has an HDMI switch inside them, and you pick which one of those inputs the receiver or tv should take for input. The receiver input selection dictates where the audio it plays will come from (without complicating matters, if the input has video, the video is forwarded to the output). The input to the tv dictates what video the tv will display (and what audio it will play, wihnthenoption of forwarding the same audio through arc).
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2020, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Which AVR do you have, and does it support eARC?

Usually TV or TV audio or such is selected for ARC sound in the AVR.

If everything connected to the AVR (usually considered the best way) the TV should be on whichever HDMI input the AVR is conected to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-02-2020, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
1- the arc input.

2- the input to which the receiver is connected.

Each device has an HDMI switch inside them, and you pick which one of those inputs the receiver or tv should take for input. The receiver input selection dictates where the audio it plays will come from (without complicating matters, if the input has video, the video is forwarded to the output). The input to the tv dictates what video the tv will display (and what audio it will play, wihnthenoption of forwarding the same audio through arc).
1- i assume that's the "HDMI OUT" button on the remote, correct? I am not sure if HDMI OUT considered one of the inputs.

2- sorry i wasn't clear. I meant to say if i want to listen to the sound of the cb or bd through the tv, which input on the tv do i select? (The receiver has passthrough). I think (now i understand) i have to select the hdmi arc, regardless cb or bd, correct?

Thx
post #5 of 11 Old 04-02-2020, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
Which AVR do you have, and does it support eARC?

Usually TV or TV audio or such is selected for ARC sound in the AVR.

If everything connected to the AVR (usually considered the best way) the TV should be on whichever HDMI input the AVR is conected to.

The avr only has ARC but the tv has eARC. I hope it still works.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-02-2020, 01:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by amati5 View Post
The avr only has ARC but the tv has eARC. I hope it still works.

It should but ARC is tricky. You should connect at least the bluray player directly to the AVR or you wont get lossless sound like dolby trueHD. Old ARC is very limited and tricky so a lot of problems with it and AVRs are made to be the hub of a system. (eARC still to be determined, not enough have it yet to know if a lot of issues or if its finally working as intended)

post #7 of 11 Old 04-02-2020, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

That is my plan. I am planning use the avr as a hub because it has passthrough. I dont always use the big sound when watching.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-02-2020, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 201
It is clearly best to connect the cable box and blu-ray player to the receiver rather than the TV. Very few TVs will pass 5.1 soundtracks arriving via HDMI through to a receiver. So, you will almost certainly be limited to stereo from those sources if you connect your devices to the TV instead of the AVR. Even if you have a rare TV that passes through 5.1 tracks, it definitely will not send the high quality lossless DTS-Master Audio or TrueHD audio to your receiver.

If you connect the devices to the receiver, then you never need to change inputs on the TV regardless of what you are watching. Just leave the TV on the HDMI input from the receiver. But, you will need to select the correct input on the AVR for either the cable box or the BD player.

Since you appear to have passthrough on your receiver, you can listen on the TV by simply turning up the TV sound.

You can see there's no usage of ARC in any of this, except that configuring passthrough usually involves setting up HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), which happens via the same HDMI ports that support ARC.

You don't say what device you use for Netflix. If it's your cable box or BD player, then that would work just like watching TV or playing a disc. But, if you have a Smart TV that is the source for Netflix or any other app like Amazon or Hulu, then you would need to get the sound from the TV to the receiver. You can use ARC for that or run an optial cable from the TV to an input on the receiver.

Last edited by BIslander; 04-02-2020 at 05:24 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-02-2020, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

The avr is a Sony STR-DH550 that came with ARC? TV is a smart tv and also a Sony (Don’t know model) that has eARC. We (I am trying to show my sister setting up her system over the phone, and it’s difficult Since she doesn’t know much) did try briefly and we did get the sound from the arc connection, not sure if if true sound or not. I doubt if she cares. She doesn’t like the idea of the receiver is automatically turned on when she turns on the tv because we turned on HDMI control to on from both. But I think we need to have it on so the arc can work, correct? I read that someone tried to disable this function by turning off the Brava Sync without success, until he turned the HDMI off also.

Thx
post #10 of 11 Old 04-02-2020, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3248 Post(s)
Liked: 2179
Quote:
Originally Posted by amati5 View Post
She doesn’t like the idea of the receiver is automatically turned on when she turns on the tv because we turned on HDMI control to on from both. But I think we need to have it on so the arc can work, correct? I read that someone tried to disable this function by turning off the Brava Sync without success, until he turned the HDMI off also.

In Settings, External Inputs, Go to the Bravia Sync Device List, and disable the receiver there. ARC should still work. At least in my system, that's how it works with my Anthem unit. Bravia Sync is ON, and CEC in the Anthem is ON, but the Anthem in the Sync list is not enabled. So, power on TV, Anthem does not turn on. See if that works for you.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #11 of 11 Old 04-02-2020, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
In Settings, External Inputs, Go to the Bravia Sync Device List, and disable the receiver there. ARC should still work. At least in my system, that's how it works with my Anthem unit. Bravia Sync is ON, and CEC in the Anthem is ON, but the Anthem in the Sync list is not enabled. So, power on TV, Anthem does not turn on. See if that works for you.
Great! Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page