Why is LFE so hard to pull off well? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By Audiophile75
  • 1 Post By DavidinGA
  • 4 Post By craig john
  • 1 Post By sivadselim
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 3 Post By sivadselim

post #1 of 19 Old 04-21-2020, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Why is LFE so hard to pull off well?

Let’s start off with an example: take two UM18 and a nu6000, what is the most asked question after this? “How do I get more midbass?” And the direct opposite: the VBSS, “I want more low end rumble”. Which brings me to my point.

In order to do LFE right you will need two or more subs with a xo playing at different frequencies with different alignments and or different drivers. Also, just because you modeled your driver and it SAID it CAN play a frequency doesn’t entirely mean it should.

I know of different style of drivers - pa, home theater and car?

Box alignments- IB, ported, sealed, horn and the list goes on...

By definition LFE is everything below 120hz and I know a lot of people only focus on under the xo point (around 80hz).

Soooo..... what do you do to get the best LFE? What setup, box and or driver mix? Do you only care about lower than xo? Is there a one sub does it all? I thought IB but I’ve heard some still look for midbass. And horns do 20-100hz but lack the rest. Maybe four 21” sealed?

This is not a question for my setup, This is just a random - how did/do you do it?
SuperFist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-21-2020, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile75 View Post
Let’s start off with an example: take two UM18 and a nu6000, what is the most asked question after this? “How do I get more midbass?” And the direct opposite: the VBSS, “I want more low end rumble”. Which brings me to my point.

In order to do LFE right you will need two or more subs with a xo playing at different frequencies with different alignments and or different drivers. Also, just because you modeled your driver and it SAID it CAN play a frequency doesn’t entirely mean it should.

By definition LFE is everything below 120hz and I know a lot of people only focus on under the xo point (around 80hz).

Soooo..... what do you do to get the best LFE? What setup, box and or driver mix? Do you only care about lower than xo? Is there a one sub does it all? I thought IB but I’ve heard some still look for midbass. And horns do 20-100hz but lack the rest. Maybe four 21” sealed?

This is not a question for my setup, This is just a random - how did/do you do it?

I have kind of done it the "wrong" way imo, by running a mini marty and now 4 vbss subs, which illustrates your point about having a Marty and then coming to the realization that I now want "mid-bass" = add some vbss subs.

I don't think it's hard to get it all, its more about doing it right from the start.

If I were to do it over, I would probably build 2-4 21" Devastators and call it done. They pretty well check all my boxes
SuperFist likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
Epson 5040, 150" 16:9 1.1gain, Source: HTPC w/madVR, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofers: 1 MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D. 4 diy Slim VBSS 18" Subs w/NX3000D.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-21-2020, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Yeah I would be keen to know if there is an effective mix of styles or sizes to cover all the basses (see what I did there ? )

I currently have 1 x 15" 20hz ported, 1 x Boss Platform with 3 x 15" drivers and 5 x dual 4.75" little 30hz ported subs (these 5 are driven from speaker level set to large).

However I am planning on replacing the 15" ported with 4 x 15" LLT tuned to 15hz so would be interested to see if that is the way to go or if there would be a better combination.

And don't forget that the 80hz Xover is only for the speaker channel output - the subs are still receiving 120hz (or higher depending on your LPF setting) signal from the .1 LFE channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-21-2020, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
Why is LFE hard to get right?
  • Requires the ability to measure the response
  • Room modes
  • Boundary interactions
  • Listening position variablities
  • Variable subwoofer capabilities
  • Difficult speaker/subwoofer splice
  • Phase issues between subwoofers
  • Phase issues between subwoofers and speakers

How to do it right?
Implement a system that provides smooth frequency response with the extension, output and target curve one desires by addressing all of the above.

Have fun!

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
My System (Edited Feb. 2020 to add 4K and Atmos updates)

Last edited by craig john; 04-25-2020 at 04:56 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-21-2020, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
Quote:
Last time (now packed away to be shipped to my new/old home) was 4 FTW21s, sealed with power and EQ to do below 45Hz or so, and the mains had 2 AE TD15S to do from there up to 300Hz to xover to the Unitys. Plus a Crowson.

Most people want too much from too little, that's why they have problems. You can't expect a heavy coned high excursion driver to play well up into the lower midbass like a PA driver can. Plus most people use someone else's design which may not have the actual characteristics they want. Designing my own stuff from scratch makes it easier on my part.

Next time, because I'm back to the huge cathedral ceilinged room, I can afford to go full horn again; Unitys, one of two midbass FL horn designs and some THs to get me to approx 20Hz, and the FTW21s behind the couch for LFE, plus the Crowson. Now I have 4 extra 15's for the surrounds, they be like a Seaton Catalyst 12 in layout, but with 15s.
I had a 5 way fully FL horn system in this room before I moved to a smaller apartment to get work.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
post #6 of 19 Old 04-21-2020, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Red face

I looked at lack of coloration lack of distortion and went concrete box ib to 60 hertz , then i wanted a clear dialog center channel and went with 16 midwoofers per l , c, r, ls, cs, rs and for below 20 hertz i went three 15s boss platform that i am changing to use twelve drivers of ten inch diameter to ensure i get some tactile response at my couch.

Back to sanding as i have a looong way to go before the new boss platform is ready.
Hopefully twelve drivers will do it?

Denon 4k avr, diy l c r surround Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg pf 1500 projector.steren projector mount at diy 135 inch screen triple 15 boss build .
Pending buy quality tweeter or dome midrange 4k lg hu70la projector 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp
post #7 of 19 Old 04-21-2020, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Yes, the LFE channel material can be encoded as high as 120Hz. And most AVRs and processors allow one to set the LFE low-pass ('LPF of LFE') to 120Hz which allows the entire LFE channel to be sent to the subwoofer(s) no matter how low the individual speaker channel xovers are set.

However, how much material is actually encoded in the LFE channel between 80Hz and 120Hz is arguable and varies from soundtrack to soundtrack. Some people actually prefer setting the LFE low-pass to 80Hz, instead, and there is some theoretical thought to support that. The difference between using an 80Hz LFE low-pass versus using a 120Hz LFE low-pass is actually quite subtle.
craig john likes this.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #8 of 19 Old 04-21-2020, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

I have 4 capable subs with no need to monkey with crossovers on them to get good chest slam and tactile feel/shake. But, my room is only 2350 cu ft. Were I in a larger room, I might need 4 considerably more potent subs than I have now...

IMHO, it's mostly a case of people's reach exceeding their grasp and not using enough (quality and quantity of) subs for the job at hand.

MiniDSP 2x4HD, UMIK-1, REW... The holy trinity for running multiple subs.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-21-2020, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
You can't expect a heavy coned high excursion driver to play well up into the lower midbass like a PA driver can.

I have a pair of Behringer B215XLs as my Front L&R - are you saying if I set them to a 60hz crossover (they are only rated to 55hz) I will get good/better mid-bass ?
post #10 of 19 Old 04-22-2020, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post
I have a pair of Behringer B215XLs as my Front L&R - are you saying if I set them to a 60hz crossover (they are only rated to 55hz) I will get good/better mid-bass ?
If you are sending material below rated tune of a ported box, then yes. This applies to any ported box.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
post #11 of 19 Old 04-22-2020, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 868
It's hard to get coz we don't want to move our subs(to a better location)!

I am guilty of that for a very long time, just decided two days ago to move them around a bit and take some measurements. didn't image 2-3ft only for each sub would make an ENORMOUS difference in output and everything else!

confirmed it with measurements in REW too.

Processors Marantz AV8805 & miniDSP 2x4 HD Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x4 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Optoma UHZ65 4K Media HTPC w/madVR Cables Wireworld,Hosa & Belden
post #12 of 19 Old 04-22-2020, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post

I am guilty of that for a very long time, just decided two days ago to move them around a bit and take some measurements. didn't image 2-3ft only for each sub would make an ENORMOUS difference in output and everything else!

confirmed it with measurements in REW too.
Yeah, bass is all about the room.

MiniDSP 2x4HD, UMIK-1, REW... The holy trinity for running multiple subs.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-23-2020, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
You may not want to, but many here do it as a matter of course.

post #14 of 19 Old 04-23-2020, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked: 1458
Quote:
Let’s start off with an example: take two UM18 and a nu6000, what is the most asked question after this? “How do I get more midbass?” And the direct opposite: the VBSS, “I want more low end rumble”.
Of course, those can be the responses of 2 individuals to the same reality.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #15 of 19 Old 04-24-2020, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked: 3274
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Why is LFE hard to get right?
  • Room modes
  • Boundary interactions
  • Listening position variablities
  • Variable subwoofer capabilities
  • Difficult speaker/subwoofer splice
  • Phase issues between subwoofers
  • Phase issues between subwoofers and speakers

How to do it right?
Implement a system that provides smooth frequency response with the extension, output and target curve one desires by addressing all of the above.

Have fun!

Craig
cj, you shouldn't scare the kids like that! Actually, truth be told, I'm quivering at just reading your list! That said, the receiver's built-in processing will just take care if it ... right?

Folks think you can just buy a sub, plop it down anywhere, plug it in, and MAGIC! Nope, you get out of it what you put in, like every good thing in life!
craig john likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-25-2020, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
cj, you shouldn't scare the kids like that! Actually, truth be told, I'm quivering at just reading your list! That said, the receiver's built-in processing will just take care if it ... right?

Folks think you can just buy a sub, plop it down anywhere, plug it in, and MAGIC! Nope, you get out of it what you put in, like every good thing in life!
I added one!

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
My System (Edited Feb. 2020 to add 4K and Atmos updates)
post #17 of 19 Old 04-25-2020, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked: 3274
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
I added one!
You're a monster!

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #18 of 19 Old 05-20-2020, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Please make sure I understand LFE...

LFE is not just a range of lower frequencies (under 120 Hz) but a dedicated and separate channel embedded into Dolby programming to carry additional bass notes, right?
post #19 of 19 Old 05-20-2020, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiboyZ28 View Post
Please make sure I understand LFE...

LFE is not just a range of lower frequencies (under 120 Hz) but a dedicated and separate channel embedded into Dolby programming to carry additional bass notes, right?

Exactly.

But often in these discussions what is really meant can become a bit blurred, and the use of the term becomes a bit loose.

What is sent to the subwoofer is the LFE channel plus any rerouted bass from any speaker channels to which a crossover is applied (SMALL setting on most AVRs and processors).
Ratman, Espo77 and Sorny like this.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page