My theater room from a total novice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-22-2020, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My theater room from a total novice

So moved into a new house a while back. For years i have always wanted a theater. This house has a room above the garage that made it seem perfect for the job. I hung a screen and a projector. (My first one) and setup my old 5.1 system. Speakers (From Paradigm) are about 20 years old and have been lugged all over the country. And a fairly cheap Onkyo amp from Best Buy (my nicer Denon didn’t work with hdmi audio). It sounds ok. The sub sucks. And the projector is pretty good (UHD60).

I have lirked for years on the forums and the itch got me. I am almost complete with my first mini Marty with a ultimax 18, and the mail delivered 3 diysoundgroup 1299’s to build next (ported) I am working on setting up REW and ordering an umik-1 mic soon. I want to get volt 10’s for the rears and then add in some atoms speakers. I will eventually replace the recover as well.

My room is weird shaped ( attached below) and i have never thought about sound theory before i started about calibration of the Marty. Anyway i thought i would start a place to discuss / journal my journey and hope to get some hints and rescue along the way.
Thanks
Everyone
Jbrody
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater room_1587617383329.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	2714572  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-16-2020, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

First Sweeps in my theater

So I was able to get REW running and ran my first sweeps in my theater..... I am still reading and trying to absorb utilizing REW but I figured I would use this post as my journal of sorts and if any one can give pointers that would be great.

My setup
Onkyo Receiver (to be replace with a Denon later)
Paradigm LCR (in the process of building ported 1299's now Link: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...ted-build.html)
Mini Marty with NX6000D for once sub (hoping to build a second utilizing the second channel on the NX when I can)
Link to Marty build : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...ini-marty.html

Green line in the sweep is the L+R
Blue is the initial Marty
and Red is after I tried to mess around in the NX software.

I have read that you can EQ out Peaks but the lows have to be moved speaker or treatment ECT. I am very new at this.

I have a couple of toddlers and a less than tolerant wife when it comes to sitting in the theater by myself running sweeps haha but I will keep plugging away at it.

The theater at this point sounds good but not what I think it can or should be.... movies sound good the bass isn't overwhelming but not chest pounding either though.... I did play some heavy bass songs from my computer via HDMI and the Marty can definitely hit very very hard but just not sure I have it tuned best for movies yet

Some other things I have to work on besides tuning:

Hum through the Marty (especially with the AVR off lower hum after booting the AVR)
Get a mic stand (using the tiny one that came with UMIK)

Thanks for any help or thoughts

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sweep.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	2727354  
post #3 of 4 Old 05-17-2020, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Good luck, and thanks for sharing!
I'm guessing that you're watching front-to-back across the 22'11" length?
Are the speakers going behind the screen, or in front?
What's your final speaker config, and what AVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrody View Post
So moved into a new house a while back. For years i have always wanted a theater. This house has a room above the garage that made it seem perfect for the job. I hung a screen and a projector. (My first one) and setup my old 5.1 system. Speakers (From Paradigm) are about 20 years old and have been lugged all over the country. And a fairly cheap Onkyo amp from Best Buy (my nicer Denon didn’t work with hdmi audio). It sounds ok. The sub sucks. And the projector is pretty good (UHD60).

I have lirked for years on the forums and the itch got me. I am almost complete with my first mini Marty with a ultimax 18, and the mail delivered 3 diysoundgroup 1299’s to build next (ported) I am working on setting up REW and ordering an umik-1 mic soon. I want to get volt 10’s for the rears and then add in some atoms speakers. I will eventually replace the recover as well.

My room is weird shaped ( attached below) and i have never thought about sound theory before i started about calibration of the Marty. Anyway i thought i would start a place to discuss / journal my journey and hope to get some hints and rescue along the way.
Thanks
Everyone
Jbrody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-17-2020, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpoe View Post
Good luck, and thanks for sharing!
I'm guessing that you're watching front-to-back across the 22'11" length?
Are the speakers going behind the screen, or in front?
What's your final speaker config, and what AVR?

Thanks for replying . Yes the 120 inch screen is hung along the 22 ft wall. It is acoustic transparent. The center is behind at head level and the Marty is behind on the right end. The screen is in about 1.5-2 ft off the ground and hung from the angled ceiling. I have a lot of room on either side of the screen for shelving or speakers and the current L+R are placed almost to the left and right walls and angled in. Probably too far apart? I bought the new screen material after placing the speakers and haven’t tried them behind or even closer yet.

I have six budget theater recliners in a line facing the screen and as close to the back wall they could go without hitting while reclined that’s i got on a close out store in town. I hand to recess a box into the back wall/ceiling for the projector to get the throw distance.

I’m pretty open to moving things around. The room is only used for the theater. My current plan is:

1299 LCR build started And hoping to be done in about a month

I just finished the mini Marty and it is tight if the center but i can move it.

I plan to add another club or three but for sure one since my amp has a second channel

Hope to get volt 10’s or something else for rears.

( i have toyed with the idea of using my paradigm towers that are up front as the tears and see how that goes and use the money for a new avr.)

For avr my plan has been to get the denon avr-x4500

Would also like to add Atmos 2 or 4

Another note on the room the stairs go down on the right side of the screen with a half wall and I’m sure that adds some more difficulties to REW tuning haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page