Help with 9.2.4 build ($30k budget) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By craig john

post #1 of 9 Old 04-26-2020, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with 9.2.4 build ($30k budget)

Hi Everyone -- I need help with a home theater room for a new house.

+ the room dimensions are 16w x 23l x 10h (3,680 cubic feet); it's a perfect rectangle.
+ the screen will be on the 16-foot wall
+ there are two rows of seating; the first row starts around 16 feet back. The second row is slightly raised.
+ in ceiling / in wall speakers are preferred; I'd like to keep everything invisible (including the subs if possible)

We haven't finalized a screen size yet, but my A/V installer says we can just barely fit a 200" screen. We're thinking of a JVC NX9 for the projector.

I have ~$30k budgeted for the audio, but would be very happy to spend less. Any recommendations on an audio setup that will provide the best movie experience, and still be easy to use? We probably won't use the room for music much; it's really just for movies, TV, and videogames. The room is still a shell right now so pretty much anything is possible.

Looking for something that's easy and durable too. I'm not looking to tinker with stuff all the time or have to call someone when a component breaks. Need something the gf can also turn on easily with just a press of the button.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-26-2020, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Out of curiosity, how did you settle on the JVC DLA-NX9? I'm speculating that maybe it was for future-proofing, but it's an 8K projector that does not have 8K copy protection (HDCP 2.3) or HDMI bandwidth (2.1) for future 8K HDR content.
Given the price of the NX9, the DLA-NX7 and/or NX5 would seem to give top-notch 4K viewing at 1/2 or 1/3 the MSRP, respectively. Those savings can have greater effect elsewhere.

With the desire to have as much as possible invisible, I'll ask if the floor be concrete, or can/will there be space underneath? You may consider getting a carpenter/electrician to build the subwoofer(s) into the floor.
This thread may be of interest
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...af-factor.html
This one perhaps as well
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...y-theater.html
post #3 of 9 Old 04-27-2020, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks so much.

We are looking at the NX9 largely because of the positive reviews I've seen, and because it seemed to offer better future proofing. I'm hoping to just do this once and not have to tinker much for a few more years.

The floor is in fact concrete, so unfortunately there's no way to build the subs into the floor. We could do the walls or the ceiling, however; there's about 3 feet of space above the ceiling and we have flexibility with the walls too.

Thanks for any recos you can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-27-2020, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked: 2008
The NX-9 is an awesome projector, but as noted, it's not the best "value" or long term 8K solution. Having said that, "faux" 8K resolution, (E-Shift), could be beneficial today on a very large screen like you are considering. (Personally, I would not go that big, especially if it means the screen goes all the way to the floor. I've been in rooms with oversized screens like this and it's not comfortable viewing, and the rear row is very likely to be blocked. Optimal screen sizes for viewing distance can be calculated here: https://www.projectorscreen.com/proj...en-calculators

Are you considering sound isolation/soundproofing during the construction phase. It's is almost impossible to do this after-the-fact, so consider it now:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...er-thread.html

Before talking audio, there's a few more video questions to ask first:
  1. Is the 200" screen the diagonal measurement, or the screen width measurement?
  2. Will the screen be a "scope" screen, (2.35:1) or standard TV AR, (16:9) If scope, will you use a curved screen with an A-lens? (This would be recommended for such a large screen.)
  3. Will masking be used for other aspect ratios than the native screen AR?
  4. Will you be using an acoustically transparent screen? If so, you can use the ideal of 3 identical speakers placed behind the screen, all mounted at the ideal height of "tweeters at ear height" for the primary row.
  5. Will the screen be mounted in a false wall? How will that be constructed? Is a speaker baffle wall a possibility? In-walls would be unnecessary if using a false wall. However, if in-walls are required, an optimally designed baffle wall is a better option that mounting in drywall.)
Pro HT designer and former THX and Lucas Films engineer, Anthony Grimani has a series of videos on HT design that you may find useful. They go over screens, speaker layouts, room acoustics, false walls, baffle walls and a lot more.
https://www.avproedge.com/training-schedule.html See "Completed", then see April 13 and April 20.

In terms of the electronics, the pre/pro to consider is the Marantz 8805. https://www.us.marantz.com/en-US/sho...parates/av8805 It can do 13.2 channels of processing. To get more than that, you'll need to spend more than half your budget on a Trinnov or DataSat processor. IMO, that would be an inappropriate allocation of resources. Speakers and subs should make up the vast majority of your budget. Also, you'll need 13 channels of amplification. With a pre/pro like the Maratnz, these will need to be separate amps. You could look at the Denon AVR-X8500H https://usa.denon.com/en-us/shop/rec...d=883795004374 It can also do 13.2 channel processing and has on-board amps. Depending on your speaker choices, you may want to use an outboard amp for the front 3 LCR's.

In terms of subs, you will definitely want to factor multiple subs into the system. Read this: https://www.harman.com/documents/multsubs_0.pdf Your rectangular room is the ideal application of this research. 4 subs, one at each mid-wall, or one in each corner will be optimal. Two subs, one front and one back can get close to this, but 4 is usually better than two.

Another excellent resource is the Dedicated Theater, Design and Construction Forum on this website: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...-construction/ You may even want to take your thread over there. (If so, ask a moderator to move it for you.)

Craig
Dawn Gordon likes this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
My System (Edited Feb. 2020 to add 4K and Atmos updates)
post #5 of 9 Old 04-27-2020, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1974
Sounds like someone bored and trying to BS. IMHO....
post #6 of 9 Old 04-28-2020, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Craig is one of the smartest people I know on AVS. He really knows his AV and he doesn't BS anyone.

[email protected]
post #7 of 9 Old 04-28-2020, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
Craig is one of the smartest people I know on AVS. He really knows his AV and he doesn't BS anyone.
Thanks Dawn!

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
My System (Edited Feb. 2020 to add 4K and Atmos updates)
post #8 of 9 Old 04-28-2020, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I'd be concerned with getting enough light on that 200" display for HDR with a NX9....

I would get a brighter pj or go with a smaller screen.

--------------------------------------------------
Epson 5040, 150" 16:9 1.1gain, Source: HTPC w/madVR, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofers: 1 MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D. 4 diy Slim VBSS 18" Subs w/NX3000D.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-28-2020, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
I was not commenting on Craig, oron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page