Can FM antenna change sound quality?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By dirk1843
  • 1 Post By Worf
  • 3 Post By m. zillch
  • 1 Post By Speedskater

post #1 of 7 Old 05-12-2020, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Can FM antenna change sound quality??

I would say the answer is no. The tuner is locked or it isn't. However my ears seem to tell me different.

I have a Denon TU-1500RD feeding a Denon 4311 that the onboard tuner died in. I have been very happy with the sound of this setup. The seperate tuner has always sounded richer and fuller.

I was using a small antenna which did ok for FM but was lacking in ATSC reception so I pulled out my old VU190 (monster combo antenna) and mounted her up. Well the back half anyway. I didn't need the huge front section as nothing in my area is in that channel range. This antenna is very directional and my reception really jumped up on both ATSC and FM from one direction...while I got the expected loss on the back side.

However......to my ear the FM doesn't sound as good. Dynamic range and overall depth sound reduced.........is that even possible??
Pennhaven likes this.

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-13-2020, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 663
In theory no, but there can be dozens of reasons why it does. In a perfect world each station exists in it's own little bubble unaffected by anything else, but in the real world little things can have big effects. First, it's possible that with the better antenna, a close station is overloading the tuner frontend, which can de tune or distort the signal coming in for a more desired station. It's all analog electronic tuned for weak signals so a strong one can overload it and cause distortion on the signal you do want which makes it less pleasant.

It's also possible that the tuner is compensating by turning down the input gain making the desired station weaker and disabling things like stereo and enhanced dynamic range because it's a weaker station.

You might want to try some a/b comparisons to make sure.
head_unit likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-13-2020, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 6419 Post(s)
Liked: 4626
Antennas don't differ in sound but they do differ in reception capabilities under differing conditions and the reception quality can alter tuner performance. So to the end user it could definitely seem as if "antennas differ in sound quality".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-13-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post
Dynamic range and overall depth sound reduced.........is that even possible??
As reception conditions change FM tuners often will vary their frequency response, often suppressing the high frequencies because that's where we most easily detect faint background hiss, and also the stereo separation is gradually reduced with a "blend" circuit so even though the "stereo" light comes on, if the signal is deemed not strong enough the tuner will blend the L and R together partly, sort of like "semi-mono". This will make the sound stage shrink and can alter the perception of stereophonic depth.

Different brands and even different models will decide differently when and how much to blend the L and R.

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-13-2020 at 12:43 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-15-2020, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks for the replies.......glad there is a chance it isn't all in my head!!

If I went with a dedicated FM antenna (basically the one I removed) what would be the separation required to keep one from interfering with the other.

thanks again,

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-15-2020, 07:43 PM

Not sure but it depends on the particular antenna design's Capture Area or Effective Aperture. Sometime you want antennas to work together and other times not interfere with eachother.

Here is a possible lead:

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/stacking/stacking2.htm

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-15-2020 at 11:21 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-20-2020, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Much more on FM antennas:
http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/index.html
m. zillch likes this.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement