New home theater setup in an apartment - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By A9X-308

post #1 of 4 Old 05-12-2020, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Talking New home theater setup in an apartment

Hi!

My name is Mauricio and I'm from Uruguay, I'm a computer science student and I work as a Tech Lead in a local enterprise.

I always wanted to have a nice HT setup but for many reasons never managed to get one. Now I'm starting with some items that I know are low end but, in my country everything is sooo expensive that believe me that this setup is a "luxury" here.

Well, my setup is composed of this items:
-Pioneer VSX-520 (the slim one)
-Pioneer Floorstanding speaker SP-FS52 Andrew Jones
-Pioneer SP-BS22-LR for surround
-Jamo S60 center (in the store they didn't recommend the C22 as it was waaaaay too big, and I decided to get the jamo, maybe upgrade to all jamo later, who knows)
-Boston Acoustics CS Sub 10 II (this was on sale hehe)

As I said, I know this is barely scratching the surface compared to setups that must be on this forum, but I'm pretty happy actually, I think the sound is good for what we could afford and the complete setup looks actually good!

I would like some help in two points:

1)- My "living room" is actually a kitchen/dinner/living room, so I have my couch, my kitchen and my desk for home office. It is approximately 21 foots long and 9.5 foots wide on the widest part, so I setup my home theater there and is kind of taking 1/3 maybe a little more of all the space available. So imagine two perfect squares togheter, my HT occupies one of those more or less. Do you think any acoustic treatment could help improve the sound quality in a room of this characteristics?

2)- I don't have a problem yet, as we are one of the firsts families to start living in the building, but sooner or later there will be neighbours so I would like to take some actions to enjoy my home system and not disturb anyone in the process. What could you guys recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-13-2020, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Welcome to the forum!

Don't feel bad about your setup, we all have to start somewhere.

If you want to reduce noise for your neighbors, you could upgrade the isolation feet on the subwoofer. The feet look like hard rubber ones that come with it.

Isolation spikes for carpet, or soft rubber feet for hard floor would probably reduce noise transmitted to the floor, and then to your neighbors.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 05-14-2020, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixtheinternet View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Don't feel bad about your setup, we all have to start somewhere.

If you want to reduce noise for your neighbors, you could upgrade the isolation feet on the subwoofer. The feet look like hard rubber ones that come with it.

Isolation spikes for carpet, or soft rubber feet for hard floor would probably reduce noise transmitted to the floor, and then to your neighbors.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Thanks a lot for your answer ifixtheinternet!
I searched a bit for what you suggest me and I found the Hudson HiFi Hemisphere feets, they are platinum rubber or something like that and seem to be very praised, I may give them a go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-14-2020, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2001 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixtheinternet View Post
Isolation spikes for carpet
Spikes DO NOT isolate. And the mechanical transmission is far less of an issue than acoustic transmission through the structure. Bass is what bothers most people; so, keep the heavily beat centred music down in level or keep the sub off. For orchestral, jazz and opera you'll get away with far higher SPL. With movies, most of the LFE, most of the time is not rhythmic so it won't bother people as much. I've had a very large system in my apartment for a decade with no complaints, but I also introduced myself to my neighbours and asked if they had an issue to please leave a note at my door detailing what it was and when. Show consideration for their feelings similarly and by using your brain as to when it's possible to play loud and you should be OK. A good set (or 2, for SO too) are also a good investment. Small, good quality headphone amps are available cheaply, allowing individual volume adjustments if needed. Otherwise just use a splitter cable.
CruelInventions likes this.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page