• 1 Post By m. zillch

post #1 of 4 Old 05-14-2020, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Coax to RCA in-wall

Hi,

I'm putting in wire for my subwoofers. Short runs of ~6-8ft and ~12-14ft. From what I can tell, at this distance, almost any wall-rated RCA cable could work (i.e., monoprice), but since I have ample supply of coax and the equipment to terminate wondering if there's any particular reason it wouldn't be a fine idea to simply run RG59 or RG6 and then do a coax to RCA conversion in the wall plate with short cables to the woofers (probably the same wall plates that will have my left and right front speakers).

Rocks to throw at that?

Thank you!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-14-2020, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Buza View Post
Hi,

I'm putting in wire for my subwoofers. Short runs of ~6-8ft and ~12-14ft. From what I can tell, at this distance, almost any wall-rated RCA cable could work (i.e., monoprice), but since I have ample supply of coax and the equipment to terminate wondering if there's any particular reason it wouldn't be a fine idea to simply run RG59 or RG6 and then do a coax to RCA conversion in the wall plate with short cables to the woofers (probably the same wall plates that will have my left and right front speakers).

Rocks to throw at that?

Thank you!

Jim

That will work just fine.

I believe there are even wall plates with coax connectors (F') on the in-wall side and RCAs on the in-room side.
Ratman, m. zillch and Jim Buza like this.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 4 Old 05-14-2020, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 6482 Post(s)
Liked: 4676
Using RG6 for audio (not just video) works well. Converting from F-pin to RCA inside a wall is maybe not a good idea because the conversion can fail after a year or two and needs to be re-seated (disconnect and reconnect and you are good to go. . . for another year).

Cable companies and Sat. companies like F-pin connections because the screw on connection is solid, can't yank out, and with a little effort can even be made water tight.
Jim Buza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-15-2020, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks!

There are indeed wall plats (or plugs for those plates) that do the F-type to RCA. There are also compression connectors that go straight to RCA (although the ones I've found are dual-shield and the cable i'm using up is quad).

Really helpful! thank you both!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page