Rear speaker mounting with drop ceiling? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-16-2020, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Rear speaker mounting with drop ceiling?

99% sure I will be going to a 7.4.4 system. Haven't cut any holes for speakers yet but really struggling with the placement of the rear speakers. The rear of the theater is open so the rear wall is not an options as its really in another living space of the basement. I have room for the 4 atmos speakers in the ceiling but really am not sure how to mount the rear speakers. They will have to be on the ceiling. Any suggestions for mounting rear speakers with with a drop ceiling? Sides have room in the wall but the rears are an issue at this point. At least in my mind. I can have them placed below the celling, as terrible as that will look it might be my only option.

For the record, same with the PJ and the Atmos speakers because the area has a drop ceiling and the initial quote for a drywall ceiling is north of 20k. So thats not happening...Never dealt with a drop ceiling before so any advice for speakers and PJ mounting is welcomed.

Last edited by DietCokeFan; 05-16-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-16-2020, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked: 3274
5.x.4 and be happy.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-17-2020, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 377
What is your Atmos budget? Triad has special mounts for many of their ceiling speakers that are designed for drop ceilings.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-20-2020, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Why not use the side walls again for the rear surrounds? As long as they're in or close to the arcs defined by dolby, the AVRs room correction should adjust for timing and volume based on distance. Of course they'll have to be angled properly.
If you don't want on-wall, there are angled in-wall speakers if you want that.

Does the dropped ceiling have light fixtures? The Atmos speakers should be a similar installation. For the projector, install a pole in the joists above above and cut a hole to get below the panels leave enough room for the cables.
If for some reason weight is a concern, put a structural "beam" in the joists to support the weight of whatever hangs flush with the dropped ceiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCokeFan View Post
99% sure I will be going to a 7.4.4 system. Haven't cut any holes for speakers yet but really struggling with the placement of the rear speakers. The rear of the theater is open so the rear wall is not an options as its really in another living space of the basement. I have room for the 4 atmos speakers in the ceiling but really am not sure how to mount the rear speakers. They will have to be on the ceiling. Any suggestions for mounting rear speakers with with a drop ceiling? Sides have room in the wall but the rears are an issue at this point. At least in my mind. I can have them placed below the celling, as terrible as that will look it might be my only option.

For the record, same with the PJ and the Atmos speakers because the area has a drop ceiling and the initial quote for a drywall ceiling is north of 20k. So thats not happening...Never dealt with a drop ceiling before so any advice for speakers and PJ mounting is welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page