How to set up audio system (Pictures) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By taz291819

post #1 of 5 Old 05-17-2020, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How to set up audio system (Pictures)

Hi! First time poster/visitor to this forum.

Looking for some guidance on how to set up the surround sound system in my Home Theater (Now converted to a home gym kinda)

I've provided three pictures. One shows two cables labeled "Center and Sides". I believe these are the ones connected to the speakers. I'm pretty sure the wallplate is for the old projector, and unrelated, but I posted it anyways because I'm not sure. (I determined this because there's a similar wallplate on the ceiling next to where the projector used to hang. It's based on nothing else)

There are 3 speakers in the front, 1 on each side, and then 2 on the back. I'm sure I need some sort of receiver (or something) to attach to these cables, but I have no idea.

Any help is appreciated

(If I'm in the wrong sub category or something, please let me know, I think I chose the best one for this post)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wallplate.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	2728292   Click image for larger version

Name:	cables.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	581.7 KB
ID:	2728294   Click image for larger version

Name:	speakers.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	2728296  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-17-2020, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Extra info:
The speakers are made by "Boston Acoustics" I believe.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-17-2020, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Turns out I completely missed a cable as well. There are three cables and the one I missed is marked "Rears"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-18-2020, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 56
It looks like the previous owner left you a 7.1 speaker system to use, but you may not have found all the wires yet.
I'm guessing that each cable run is carrying 2 pairs of wires to that it can go to left/right sides. The center is probably only using 1 of the pairs.
You've described center, sides, and rear, but that only covers 5 speakers. There may be another cable to find for the other 2.
I'm guessing the missing wire is called "Fronts" (and then "sides" goes to the speakers on the side), or maybe "surrounds" (and then "sides" is really for the front speakers)
Can you confirm that the speaker wires come out of the wall near the projector plate? That location is where the receiver or amp was used in the past.
You'll test the wires to verify what speakers the go to.

Is it hard to pull out one of the speakers to see what color wires are attached to it? The previous owner probably followed some convention to wiring for left and right.
If not, you'll need something to play audio over the wires. A cheap stereo amplifier and any sound source will do.
Play some music from your sound source and amp, and attach pairs of wires to the amp until sound comes out of a speaker, then you'll know what wires go to left/right for fronts and rears, an which pair does the center.
Then assuming you found the wires for all of the speakers, get a 7.x receiver and put the wire pairs on the receiver for "left","center","right","surround left/right", "rear surround left/right". There may be other terminals, or they may have more than 1 label, but you want those names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deeter View Post
Looking for some guidance on how to set up the surround sound system in my Home Theater (Now converted to a home gym kinda)

I've provided three pictures. One shows two cables labeled "Center and Sides". I believe these are the ones connected to the speakers.
There are 3 speakers in the front, 1 on each side, and then 2 on the back. I'm sure I need some sort of receiver (or something) to attach to these cables, but I have no idea.
Any help is appreciated
Quote:
Extra info:
The speakers are made by "Boston Acoustics" I believe.
Quote:
Turns out I completely missed a cable as well. There are three cables and the one I missed is marked "Rears"

Last edited by philpoe; 05-18-2020 at 07:23 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-18-2020, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Normal wiring on a 4-wire pull is black/red and white/green. To be honest, just pull the grill off each speaker, then you can pull the speakers out, and figure out the color-code.

There are multiple ways to figure out which set of wires goes where. If you have a multi-meter, simply join a pair of wires together and check for continuity. A tone-generator can do the same thing. Last but not least, leave the wires connected to the speakers, and use a 9V battery connected to the other pair of wires (not for extended period). If you hear a sound, that's the pair for the that set of speakers. (It'll be a grumbling sound with a 9V battery).
philpoe likes this.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656 (5.1.2 setup)
JBL Studio S-Center, JBL Studio S26ii (FL/FR), JBL N24 (LS/RS), JBL N24 (Overhead Atmos), JBL Studio SUB250
Nvidia Shield TV 2019 Pro / Fire Stick 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
home , setup , theater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page