Zone 2 setup for backyard - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-17-2020, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Zone 2 setup for backyard

Hello everyone - I have a Yamaha TRS-7810 setup that runs my living room setup but also provides a Zone 2 signal to my deck.

Recently we have expanded our backyard setup and I would like to be able to run that Zone 2 signal to an additional two areas in the yard, our fire pit and our screened in porch. However, if possible I would like to be able to select which speakers are on at a given time. I’d like the flexibility to have the speakers on at the deck and firepit but not at the porch, etc.

Is there any combination of equipment that would permit me to do this? I’m aware of Yamaha’s MusicCast system but I’m not interested in paying $500 for a set of speakers.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-18-2020, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked: 7101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Bloom View Post
Hello everyone - I have a Yamaha TRS-7810 setup that runs my living room setup but also provides a Zone 2 signal to my deck.

Recently we have expanded our backyard setup and I would like to be able to run that Zone 2 signal to an additional two areas in the yard, our fire pit and our screened in porch. However, if possible I would like to be able to select which speakers are on at a given time. I’d like the flexibility to have the speakers on at the deck and firepit but not at the porch, etc.

Is there any combination of equipment that would permit me to do this? I’m aware of Yamaha’s MusicCast system but I’m not interested in paying $500 for a set of speakers.

Thanks in advance.
Obviously this requires running speaker wire to the switcher and then speaker wire to the outdoor speakers.

So not a wireless solution if that's what you are looking for.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...hoChboQAvD_BwE

This is a more sophisticated version with impedance matching for running more than one pair at a time.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-tWapTc...BoC4XQQAvD_BwE

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 4 Old 05-18-2020, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3485 Post(s)
Liked: 3295
You can use a speaker switcher if your receiver allows for powered Zone 2. That said, depending on the power requirements of your speakers and the power reserves of your receiver, you may find that you run out of power. It may be better to invest in what is called a zone amplifier. These come in many configurations, from 4 channels to 16 channels. many allow you to bridge channels to allow more power to each speaker. Often, there is a volume control for each channel, to allow you to tailor it for each area. In your case, running three sets of zone 2 speakers, the minimum configuration would be a six channel amp. If you went with a 12 channel amp, you could bridge each channel so you do not have to worry about overloading the amp with high volume levels (or just future-proof yourself if you want to expand to more speakers later).

The gotcha is that the powered amp solution will be a LOT more expensive than the speaker switcher option. So, IMO you should try the switcher option first. If you run into issues with distortion, excessive heat from the receiver, or the receiver shutting down, then move on to the separate zone amp solution.

Here's one option for your perusal (there are many others):

https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-.../dp/B003DKVZHQ

OK, one more just for the Halibut:

https://www.htd.com/DMA-1240

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-18-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-18-2020, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 64
You could use a less expensive ecosystem than the Yamaha one. Assuming you have good wifi outside (and if not, easily remedied), consider these options:

You may want to check the firmware updates for the AVR, and see if it received AirPlay 2 compatibility. If so, AirPlay 2 devices are available in many configurations that may meet your needs for less money.

If not, consider Dayton Audio devices WBA31 (wifi streamer <$50, for the AVR) and WB40A (wifi streamer with 2x20W amp <$100 anywhere you have speakers already), to provide MusicCast/Airplay 2/Sonos type zone functionality for a lot less money.
They use a different app/ecosystem, but has the feature set you're looking for. They are also AirPlay compatible (but maybe not AirPlay 2, you'll have to check on that one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Bloom View Post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page