Question on possible acoustic treatment - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By djp2k7

post #1 of 3 Old 05-18-2020, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Question on possible acoustic treatment

I'm about to reconfigure my music area, and I just had a few questions about whether I would nee to add any acoustic treatment behind my speakers and if so, an alternative to something like rockwool that could be used.

Essentially because of the space, there will be about 7-7.5" of space from the back of the speaker to the wall. Speakers are Neat Motive 3s, rear ported. Would it be worth adding something behind or would that just add to the extra boominess that comes with having a speaker in close proximity to the wall since there'd be even less of a gap between the speaker/wall?

If it's worth doing, the max size of the panels I can make are 14" x 18", which is why I'd be looking for something other than that rockwool acoustic insulation because I just don't need hordes of the dampening material. I've come across this: https://www.amazon.ca/BXI-Sound-Abso.../dp/B07XQYRZ5X but am not sure how effective it is.

I don't need any instructional videos on how to build these things - I'm an artist (printmaker/painter), so I know how to build frames, and stretch material properly - I only need an alternative option for the filler since everyone in the videos I've looked at to see what people use is most often that rockwool material.

I do have bungs I can use to plug up the port, so that could maybe even be a third option?

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | KEF Q650c Centre | KEF Q150 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch | TBA: KEF Q750 Front L/R

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-18-2020, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 356
post #3 of 3 Old 05-18-2020, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
Great info, thanks!

But is there an alternate material I could use for the panels? Is it worth my time to make the panels or should I just pop the bungs into the ports, and be done with it?

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | KEF Q650c Centre | KEF Q150 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch | TBA: KEF Q750 Front L/R

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page