Help with Setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-18-2020, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with Setup

I just moved into a new house and I am looking for some help setting up some installed speakers.

In my living room in a cabinet I have the following

A white jacketed cable with a red, black, white and green connectors

5 sets of speaker wires that I have tested and confirmed they operate the following in ceiling speakers in my living room
Center, Front R, Front L, Rear R and Rear L.

I have two coaxial cables a Cat 5 cable and a HDMI cable.

As stated I have tested the speaker wires and know what the operate. I am 99% confident the HDMI cable and one of the coaxial cable is for hooking the TV up (there is a HDMI cable and coxial coming out of the wall above the fire place).

Besides the speakers in my living room I also have speakers in 6 other locations- Kitchen, eating area, dinning room, porch, master bedroom and master bath. In a closet I have an amp (Episode Model EA-AMP-12D-45A). It has six sets of wires going into it. It is the same white cable with 4 conductors that is in the living room cabinet. It then also has a "global In" that has a white and red RCA cables that are then connected to a traditional coaxial cable.

Questions
Is the second coaxial cable in the living room cabinet the global in line to the amp? How do I attach this to my receiver? Do I need some type of coaxial to RCA adapter?

The receiver I have is a Pioneer VSX-1021-K It is old, will it work with this system? Will I be able to use it to play music in any of the 6 other areas?

See pictures below. Please be kind to me I am not very knowledgeable!

Thanks in advance

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-05-18 21.37.54.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	559.6 KB
ID:	2728954   Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-05-18 21.38.14.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	678.2 KB
ID:	2728956   Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-05-18 21.42.42.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2728958   Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-05-18 21.45.20.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	784.3 KB
ID:	2728960  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-19-2020, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Is the second coaxial cable in the living room cabinet the global in line to the amp?
Probably.

Quote:
How do I attach this to my receiver? Do I need some type of coaxial to RCA adapter?
You will need the same adapters in place on the other end of it: An F-connector to RCA adapter, and a female-to-male RCA splitter.

But really, stereo outputs should not be “y’d” together like that. There needs to be a stereo to mono converter in place, such as this one ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GJCA6M...osi&th=1&psc=1 ).

Quote:
The receiver I have is a Pioneer VSX-1021-K It is old, will it work with this system? Will I be able to use it to play music in any of the 6 other areas?
The Pioneer will work. Connect the stereo to mono converter box to the Pioneer’s Zone 2 outputs. Keep in mind, the music source component will probably have to be connected with analog RCA outputs, not digital. This can be verified in the manual, if you have one.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #3 of 4 Old 05-19-2020, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post
Probably.

You will need the same adapters in place on the other end of it: An F-connector to RCA adapter, and a female-to-male RCA splitter.

But really, stereo outputs should not be “y’d” together like that. There needs to be a stereo to mono converter in place, such as this one

The Pioneer will work. Connect the stereo to mono converter box to the Pioneer’s Zone 2 outputs. Keep in mind, the music source component will probably have to be connected with analog RCA outputs, not digital. This can be verified in the manual, if you have one.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Wayne - Thanks! Just a little confused on how to use the converter you recommend. Do I connect the Coax to the output portion of the box using the F connector and RCA splitter and then I connect the Zone 2 outputs from the receiver to the Input using a RCA splitter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-19-2020, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 436
The converter box goes on the source end.

Signal path will be:

Pioneer Zone 2 output -> Converter Box RCA input
Converter Box 1/4" output -> (various adapters) -> Coaxial cable

Regards,
Wayne

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page