Need help with audio setup for restaurant - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Speedskater

post #1 of 4 Old 05-19-2020, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help with audio setup for restaurant

I have recently bought avr-x3600h and I do have 4 magnat supreme 200 speakers, 4 elac debut b5.2 speakers. I need to setup speakers and setup av receiver for music. Before we used to hang speakers of the concrete ceiling, now I don't know what's best. Probably need at least one sub? Can someone help on setting up? The restaurant is basically L shaped with large windows from ceiling to bottom all around and tables by these windows..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-19-2020, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 64
IMHO, the Denon AVR-X3600H is not the appropriate choice for such a setup. For music you probably only need a stereo source and maybe a speaker selector.
What's the music source, btw?

Some examples of speaker selectors are shown here.
https://10techy.com/best-speaker-selectors/

An article about how/why to use them
http://www.audiogurus.com/learn/spea...tor-switch/502

Some allow you to control the volume each pair of speakers around the restaurant, others are simple on/off buttons per pair.

In theory you could try to drive all 8 speakers from one stereo receiver (if speakers are connected in series!), but it may be hard to get the volume levels right in each area of the restaurant.
You may also consider making the music mono audio instead of stereo so placement of right/left speakers doesn't matter.

Some stereo receiver examples from best buy include Insignia NS-STR514 (it looks like this is made by Sony), Sony STR-DH190, Yamaha R-S202
They should have enough power to drive all the speakers, and A/B speaker selection for 4 speaker terminals in case you did want to try to run them all from the one box. If it seems like too much for one, they're cheap enough to just buy another.

I'd test the speakers before trying a sub, and even replacing the speakers with ones capable of playing lower. Getting even subwoofer response all over the restaurant might present a challenge.

Amazon and Monoprice are places to look for wall mounts for the speakers. Make sure that they support the weight and dimensions of the speakers you have. If the windows take up _all_ of the exterior walls, and you don't want the speakers facing down, some kind of L-shaped bar could be mounted to the ceiling to provide a mounting point, or you could mount on interior walls facing the exterior walls/windows.

BTW, if it's too late to return the Denon, I'd be happy to swap my proposed solution for it and take it off your hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by senasjaunius View Post
I have recently bought avr-x3600h and I do have 4 magnat supreme 200 speakers, 4 elac debut b5.2 speakers. I need to setup speakers and setup av receiver for music. Before we used to hang speakers of the concrete ceiling, now I don't know what's best. Probably need at least one sub? Can someone help on setting up? The restaurant is basically L shaped with large windows from ceiling to bottom all around and tables by these windows..
post #3 of 4 Old 05-20-2020, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Most rooms like this use 70 Volt speaker systems (aka Constant-Voltage Audio Distribution Systems).

Where each speaker has a transformer with taps, that allows you to adjust one speaker's volume in relation to the others.
But that Denon AVR-X3600H seems to be designed for multi-channel home theater.

More on 70 Volt speaker systems:
https://www.ranecommercial.com/legacy/note136.html

Using speaker transformers like these:
https://www.parts-express.com/cat/li...ansformers/237

Note that big stereo amplifiers don't need a transformer. Their output is close enough.
philpoe likes this.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-21-2020, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 77
My wife and I eat in restaurants a lot -- at least we did before the COVID problem. We expect to eat at them again after COVID dies down. We don't always buy the priciest entree, but we are regulars and we tip very well.

Something that will have us abandon even a favorite restaurant is too much noise. It's bad for digestion and bad for conversation. Lately, "background" music often is played at a foreground level.

Music when a place is empty may be OK. But once the room fills up, "background" music is another unwanted intrusion, especially as people talk louder above it. Noise is especially annoying in rooms that are lively (reflective) because of hard surfaces.

I sincerely wish you a huge success success with your restaurant. May you get great reviews and have many loyal customers. As a restaurant lover, I go to an eatery to eat, relax, and converse with companions. When I want a concert, I choose my own music, and I buy tickets.

Mike (Portland, Oregon)
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page