Audible High Frequency Hiss - What is Going On? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-20-2020, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audible High Frequency Hiss - What is Going On?

I am at a complete loss as to what might be going on with my system. Ultimately, I am getting a very audible high frequency hiss - like white noise - from my tweeters. I have had my receiver for about nine months and never noticed the behavior until recently. Importantly, the hiss increases/decreases seemingly linearly with volume, meaning it's audible at high and low SPLs and isn't just what I'd consider a normal noise floor.

To diagnose, I have:
  • Unplugged literally all equipment from the receiver except the front speakers and then streamed music via Bluetooth directly to the receiver, trying to eliminate as many pieces in the chain as possible
  • Moved the receiver to a different room entirely to test on a different circuit
  • Tested a second set of speakers (Paradigm Studio 10s and Kanto YU2s)
  • Tested my in-ceiling surrounds (Sonance VP64R)
  • Tested every volume gain combination of the receiver and each source
  • Replaced the Sony STRZA810ES AVR itself with the exact same, brand new model

Of course all to no avail. The sound is identical when playing all kinds of music from any source (Bluetooth streaming, Bluesound Node 2i via Coax, Roku via HDMI, PS4 HDMI, etc.). It's less noticeable in movies and TV, but there.

Really the only thing I can think of is that the behavior is unique to the receiver itself, but this is genuinely audible throughout my entire room and would surprise me if considered "normal." I had an Onkyo receiver for years prior and never recall this kind of noise nor have I heard it on other peoples' system. What else can I possibly test? Am I crazy?

Last edited by elixxxer; 05-20-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-20-2020, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Out of curiosity, have you tried the headphone jack or analog preout (with another amp)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elixxxer View Post
I am at a complete loss as to what might be going on with my system. Ultimately, I am getting a very audible high frequency hiss - like white noise - from my tweeters.
To diagnose, I have:
What else can I possibly test? Am I crazy?
post #3 of 5 Old 05-20-2020, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 6419 Post(s)
Liked: 4626
Does the problem go away when you press the front panel button "Pure Direct"?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-20-2020, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
I am at a complete loss as to what might be going on with my system. Ultimately, I am getting a very audible high frequency hiss - like white noise - from my tweeters. I have had my receiver for about nine months and never noticed the behavior until recently. Importantly, the hiss increases/decreases seemingly linearly with volume, meaning it's audible at high and low SPLs and isn't just what I'd consider a normal noise floor.

To diagnose, I have:
  • Unplugged literally all equipment from the receiver except the front speakers and then streamed music via Bluetooth directly to the receiver, trying to eliminate as many pieces in the chain as possible
  • Moved the receiver to a different room entirely to test on a different circuit

Of course all to no avail. The sound is identical when playing all kinds of music from any source (Bluetooth streaming, Bluesound Node 2i via Coax, Roku via HDMI, PS4 HDMI, etc.). It's less noticeable in movies and TV, but there.

Really the only thing I can think of is that the behavior is unique to the receiver itself, but this is genuinely audible throughout my entire room and would surprise me if considered "normal." I had an Onkyo receiver for years prior and never recall this kind of noise nor have I heard it on other peoples' system. What else can I possibly test? Am I crazy?
How much did the two Sony receivers cost ya?

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #5 of 5 Old 05-20-2020, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:

To diagnose, I have:

Other than that, how do you like it?

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page