4 Atmos Speakers vs 6 Atmos Speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 285
4 Atmos Speakers vs 6 Atmos Speakers

My new theater room is built and I’m all wired up for 9.1.6. My question is, should I go with 4 atmos speakers or 6 atmos speakers? A lot of (very) highly respectable people are saying to do 4, but without much reasoning. I have 2 rows of seating. What are your thoughts, which is preferable and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The only downside I can see is cost. Once past 7 channels, each additional 2 cost quite a bit more than the last pair. Another argument could be lack of readily available content.
However, if you've already figured out how to process 9.1.6 within budget, why not go for it?
Out of curiosity, which set of speaker locations did you use for the last floor pair after LCR, Surround and Rear Surround?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
My new theater room is built and I’m all wired up for 9.1.6. My question is, should I go with 4 atmos speakers or 6 atmos speakers? A lot of (very) highly respectable people are saying to do 4, but without much reasoning. I have 2 rows of seating. What are your thoughts, which is preferable and why?
post #3 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpoe View Post
The only downside I can see is cost. Once past 7 channels, each additional 2 cost quite a bit more than the last pair. Another argument could be lack of readily available content.
However, if you've already figured out how to process 9.1.6 within budget, why not go for it?
Out of curiosity, which set of speaker locations did you use for the last floor pair after LCR, Surround and Rear Surround?
The plan is to use a Trinnov Altitude 16 for the processing. The 6 surround speakers (non atmos) are located next to the first row, another pair located next to the 2nd row, and the 3rd pair on the rear wall (back surrounds). The 2 pairs on the side walls act as side surrounds. One pair for the first row, 2nd pair for the 2nd row. No wides in the set up. The speaker positions are shown here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1902AAD9-C82F-4231-9ED9-081E6086F248_1590182809059.png
Views:	44
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	2730800  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 259
That room looks awesome. Do you have a build thread?

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #5 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 03:02 PM

Got it.
So are both of the side pairs are wired to the Surround channel, or does the Trinnov have other logical names to use?

Quote:
The plan is to use a Trinnov Altitude 16 for the processing. The 6 surround speakers (non atmos) are located next to the first row, another pair located next to the 2nd row, and the 3rd pair on the rear wall (back surrounds). The 2 pairs on the side walls act as side surrounds. One pair for the first row, 2nd pair for the 2nd row. No wides in the set up. The speaker positions are shown here.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
That room looks awesome. Do you have a build thread?
Thanks. I do, but haven’t been updating it much. Crown molding is done, a few touch ups, primer, paint, acoustic treatments by quest, then carpet and it’s done. I’m calling it the Apocalypse theater. Built the whole thing during the pandemic, and was able to finish it so fast because of the pandemic (home A LOT)

*Don't know what the original link I posted didn't work. Here's the build thread link*

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ld-thread.html

Last edited by Blackdevil77; 05-22-2020 at 03:56 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Got it.
So are both of the side pairs are wired to the Surround channel, or does the Trinnov have other logical names to use?
To be honest, I really don’t know. With how infinitely configurable the Trinnov seems to be, I’m sure it can all be configured through the processor, but if for some reason it can’t be, the same 2 channels that come out of the processor for the side surrounds will go to the crown amps, then distributed to the 4 side surround speakers.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 03:14 PM

I just read up on it a little bit. Apparently you can just tell the Trinnov where the speaker is located, and it figures out how to map that speaker to the logical signals from the audio channels. Cool.

Quote:
To be honest, I really don’t know. With how infinitely configurable the Trinnov seems to be, I’m sure it can all be configured through the processor, but if for some reason it can’t be, the same 2 channels that come out of the processor for the side surrounds will go to the crown amps, then distributed to the 4 side surround speakers.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-22-2020, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just read up on it a little bit. Apparently you can just tell the Trinnov where the speaker is located, and it figures out how to map that speaker to the logical signals from the audio channels. Cool.
Yeah, it's extremely configurable so I should be good. I definitely think I would benefit from a professional calibration. Seems to almost be required to get the most out of the Trinnov.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page