Bluetooth Speaker handoff issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Worf

post #1 of 5 Old 05-29-2020, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bluetooth Speaker handoff issue

(This forum looked like the ONLY appropriate place to pose this question...I searched for a "portable Bluetooth speaker/multi-room audio" themed forum, but didn't find one. If there's a more appropriate place to post this, please set me straight!)

Hi, Bluetooth experts...this is a question relating to Bluetooth peculiarities as related to portable Bluetooth speakers.

We recently got a new Oontz Angle 3 Bluetooth speaker to replace an aging JBL Clip 2 Bluetooth speaker. What we liked about the JBL was that we could pair it with both our iPhones, and when the JBL was powered up, whichever iPhone started playing music FIRST would automagically handoff to the JBL and start playing there. When that iPhone stopped playing, the next iPhone could automagically start playing on the JBL.

Switching audio between our two iPhones was seamless.

With the Angle 3, after we paired both iPhones, we have to MANUALLY go into the iPhone Bluetooth settings screen and Connect and Disconnect every time. If one of us fails to Disconnect, the other person can't Connect. No magical handoff.

In other words, anything BUT seamless.

Is there some particular flavor of Bluetooth that does the magic here? The JBL being a few years old and the Oontz being brand-new, I figured the handoff magic would be IMPROVED, not diminished.

Any thoughts from Bluetooth experts are appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-29-2020, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 679
No, there is nothing Bluetooth about it. The modules support multiple devices but the logic that selects where audio comes from is based on the device itself. Many devices that advertise this usually call it party mode or similar. Devices that don't usually just say connect two devices and nothing more.

The latter devices do no do handoff or party mode. They usually rely on whichever paired last to select where the audio comes from, but other things can happen.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-02-2020, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
No, there is nothing Bluetooth about it. The modules support multiple devices but the logic that selects where audio comes from is based on the device itself. Many devices that advertise this usually call it party mode or similar. Devices that don't usually just say connect two devices and nothing more.

The latter devices do no do handoff or party mode. They usually rely on whichever paired last to select where the audio comes from, but other things can happen.
Interesting. I've looked at the specs that I could find for the JBL Clip 2, and nowhere is "party mode" mentioned...however they DO highlight "wireless daisy chain," which they define as the ability to pair ONE device (e.g., an iPhone) to TWO Clip 2 speakers for "increased volume," but I don't think that has anything to do with what I'm looking for.

The following specs are also listed:
  • Bluetooth version: 4.2
  • Support: A2DP V1.3, AVRCP V1.6, HFP V1.6, HSP V1.2
  • Bluetooth transmitter modulation: GFSK, π/4 DQPSK, 8DPSK

Of these (and mind you, this is my inexperienced layman's attempt at analysis), it looks like AVRCP V1.6 might be the thing that's doing the magic I'm looking for (see below, with the key feature bolded)...

AVRCP has several versions with significantly increasing functionality:
1.0 — Basic remote control commands (play/pause/stop, etc.)
1.3 — all of 1.0 plus metadata and media-player state support
The status of the music source (playing, stopped, etc.)
Metadata information on the track itself (artist, track name, etc.).
1.4 — all of 1.3 plus media browsing capabilities for multiple media players
Browsing and manipulation of multiple players

Browsing of media metadata per media player, including a "Now Playing" list
Basic search capabilities
Support for Absolute volume
1.5 — all of 1.4 plus specification corrections and clarifications to absolute volume control, browsing and other features
1.6 — all of 1.5 plus browsing data and track information[5]
Number of items that are in a folder without downloading the list
Support for transmitting cover arts through the BIP over OBEX protocol.

So, maybe what I'm really looking for is AVRCP support greater than V1.4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-02-2020, 11:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 679
No, avrcp profile is audio/video remote control profile. I.e., it adds fast forward/rewind/next track/previous track buttons. This lets you remotely control the player from the speaker. Sometimes it's as simple as just a play/pause button, other times you get a full set of controls. It's handy on headphones that let you put your phone or something in your pocket but let you control the music from the headphone itself.

Nothing to do with party mode. It's. It not necessarily called party mode - usually it's described as a way to have a gathering or party and have multiple people send music to it and it picks one or the other. Sometimes it's called barge mode, or interrupt mode or many other things. It's not actually a Bluetooth thing - the Bluetooth module simply maintains the audio connection to both devices and it's up to the onboard processor to decide which one to play. Behaviour varies by device - some do the thing andc all it party mode, others may do it automatically and others don't do anything. I've usually seen it as a party style mode, but I've seen others call it audio war and such on the marketing material.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-03-2020, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
No, avrcp profile is audio/video remote control profile. I.e., it adds fast forward/rewind/next track/previous track buttons. This lets you remotely control the player from the speaker. Sometimes it's as simple as just a play/pause button, other times you get a full set of controls. It's handy on headphones that let you put your phone or something in your pocket but let you control the music from the headphone itself.

Nothing to do with party mode. It's. It not necessarily called party mode - usually it's described as a way to have a gathering or party and have multiple people send music to it and it picks one or the other. Sometimes it's called barge mode, or interrupt mode or many other things. It's not actually a Bluetooth thing - the Bluetooth module simply maintains the audio connection to both devices and it's up to the onboard processor to decide which one to play. Behaviour varies by device - some do the thing andc all it party mode, others may do it automatically and others don't do anything. I've usually seen it as a party style mode, but I've seen others call it audio war and such on the marketing material.
Ahhh, okay. That just sunk in a bit.

So if I'm reading you right, the function I'm looking for is akin to a feature baked into the speaker's firmware...NOT a feature of the version/flavor of Bluetooth that the device is running.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page