Help with popping sounds in 5.1 setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ratman
  • 1 Post By Ratman

post #1 of 12 Old 06-06-2020, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with popping sounds in 5.1 setup

As the title states I am dealing with insanely frustrating popping/static noise from my LR and both surround speakers. I have been watching 2-3 movies a day for the past several weeks and had only had this issue while watching the 4k UHD discs of Doctor Sleep and the Shininig strangely enough. As far as I can tell there is no widespread issues with the pressings of these discs Leading me to believe it is my setup.

I am runnng a 5.1 with a Denon s510BT and SVS pb2000 sub. My wiring is a bit bunched together but I have tried spreading it out to avoid interference. I am also running everything through a Panamax 5400.

It’s not quite a constant static and almost seems at time the popping is jumping from speaker to speaker. I’ve made sure all the cords are plugged in firmly. It definitely gets worse as the sound gets louder.

When I switched from Dolby true HD audio to “Dolby digital multi” the problem went away for. The rest of the movie. Is this a case of my AVR not having enough power for my setup?Would an amp fix this? Either way I will be upgrading my AVR soon but was curious in case this happened again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-06-2020, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It might be an HDMI cable as they can cause both audio and video oddities. Do you have one in your chain you could temporarily swap to test?

sspears:
(Rules? Rules? In Television???? Thou shalt not oversaturateth red. RGB shall be thy rod and thy staff; there shall be no other color space before thee.)
post #3 of 12 Old 06-06-2020, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamui View Post
It might be an HDMI cable as they can cause both audio and video oddities. Do you have one in your chain you could temporarily swap to test?
I replaced all The cables with certified premium cables from monoprice a few months back but I could try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-07-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngdus11 View Post
I replaced all The cables with certified premium cables from monoprice a few months back but I could try.
I would try to limit the chain as much as possible, then swap / add things one at a time to see where the failure occurs if applicable.

sspears:
(Rules? Rules? In Television???? Thou shalt not oversaturateth red. RGB shall be thy rod and thy staff; there shall be no other color space before thee.)
post #5 of 12 Old 06-07-2020, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2868 Post(s)
Liked: 2911
Try another 4K UHD movie and DD TruHD. If there is no issue(s), perhaps the two SK titles have an issue TruHD, not your cables/setup.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein

Last edited by Ratman; 06-07-2020 at 08:34 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-07-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Try another 4K UHD movie and DD TruHD. If there is no issue(s), perhaps the two SK titles have an issue TruHD, not your cables/setup.
They stated they've been watching 2 movies a day for the past week or more and it sounded like they only noticed it during a TruHD format, which maybe is a bitrate / cable issue?

If you've never tried other TruHD movies, then yes that would be a great first step.

sspears:
post #7 of 12 Old 06-07-2020, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 16475
HDMI audio problems are usually little "pops" or "tick" sounds. Years ago I had a very expensive pre/pro that had HDMI audio problems - little "pops" and "ticks". Turns out one of the internal ribbon cable suppliers sold them cables that weren't up to snuff, at least that's what I was told by their tech guy. If not a cable or cable seating problem, it could be the receiver or even the BD player.

If a cannibal eats a clown, will it taste funny?
post #8 of 12 Old 06-07-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngdus11 View Post
I have been watching 2-3 movies a day for the past several weeks and had only had this issue while watching the 4k UHD discs of Doctor Sleep and the Shininig strangely enough.
Quote:
They stated they've been watching 2 movies a day for the past week or more and it sounded like they only noticed it during a TruHD format, which maybe is a bitrate / cable issue?

If you've never tried other TruHD movies, then yes that would be a great first step.
That's why I suggested a fair comparison to other DD TruHD soundtracks.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #9 of 12 Old 06-07-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
That's why I suggested a fair comparison to other DD TruHD soundtracks.
and that's why I agreed that it was a good first step if it somehow hadn't been done already. Nothing confusing there xD

sspears:
post #10 of 12 Old 06-07-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Nothing confusing there xD
Not now.
Let's wait what the OP has to add after troubleshooting.
kamui likes this.

post #11 of 12 Old 06-07-2020, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Watched the 4k disc of passengers tonight with no issue. Before I got my Panamax I did occasionally get that static sound in my speakers. Might this be an electricity problem?
post #12 of 12 Old 06-08-2020, 04:29 AM

Not in my opinion. Electricity doesn't know the difference between DD and DD-TruHD.
kamui likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page