Help me make my wife’s life better - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 34 Old 06-13-2020, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I believe your issue could be that small Sony Htib center speaker, once you upgrade that to a speaker with better drivers, you should both notice a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m. zillch likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 06-13-2020, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 6765 Post(s)
Liked: 4980
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyNTaX View Post
I believe your issue could be that small Sony Htib center speaker, once you upgrade that to a speaker with better drivers, you should both notice a difference
I'd tend to agree. These inexpensive designs often have lobbing at certain key frequencies, meaning their radiation pattern left to right is erratic.

Here's a generic image depicting lobbing. The shape will vary by speaker and frequency being reproduced:

https://lossenderosstudio.com/img/radiationpattern.gif

Last edited by m. zillch; 06-13-2020 at 09:41 AM.
post #33 of 34 Old 06-25-2020, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by db-2552 View Post
I’ve been trying to figure out what to do here and I’m hoping someone can point me in a decent direction.

My wife has a hard time hearing some speaking parts on shows we watch. Things get quiet or loud or she catches parts of words. We’ve turned on subtitles to compensate however this doesn’t seem to be doing the job.

We use an echo cube primarily. HDMI to the tv, then digital audio to a switcher then to an old Sony receiver. I’ll detail all components below.

We have 4 speakers ceiling mounted, a center channel speaker on our tv stand and a subwoofer. It’s a menagerie of items here.

Any tips or help is appreciated. Hopefully I posted this in the right forum.

Tv: LG 49uj6300-ua

Settings: Sound out set to optical.

Optical switcher: A 1mii. I bought this for when the baby is sleeping. The hearing problems existed before this and adding this didn’t change anything as far as I can tell. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1JJBJR..._jGv3Eb4H5GQXT

Mounted ceiling speakers

4x Boston Accoustics. These came with the home. They have mcs 95 on them and also baj016438

Receiver. *sigh* I know this is old. Maybe this is the problem I just don’t want to go spending money if it’s not (note the baby comment)

Sony str-k790

The center speaker and sub came with the receiver.

Fire cube. Most recent model

We do have an amazon recast as well and some content comes from there rather than streaming. I finally decided to ditch my old Apple TV with Perian on it a few years back and went with amazon for our streaming device. The cube was chosen since it has an ir blaster.

Oh and there’s an xbox one we use for optical media as well. Not that we use it that much anymore.

I hope this is enough to provide an idea of what we have. However I’m more than happy to go looking at anything else.

We watch content from a number of sources. Mostly streaming now.

Didn't read all the replies but did see a few posts mention a better center channel speaker.

Where do you live? I have an old Cambridge center that you can have if that will help. Assuming you aren't close enough to drive by, pay for the shipping and I'll find a box and some packaging.

If you are interested, send me your contact info and I'll send you a few pictures to insure that it's a fit for you before we go to any trouble shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 Old 06-25-2020, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by db-2552 View Post
I want things to be louder all of the time but that’s about it.
Maybe that's the problem. Louder everywhere maybe overwhelming the center, have u tried just trimming the center only?

Before u go spending$$$, is she sitting on the SWEET spot, center directly firing at her? Some repositioning may help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page