Low ceilng upfiring Atmos. Better results with Presence speakers instead? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-11-2020, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Low ceilng upfiring Atmos. Better results with Presence speakers instead?

I'm a about 8.5ft from the tv and center channel, with a roughly 7.5ft ceiling. I don't get much of a sense of over the head sound while watching Atmos content. Most of the time it just sounds/ feels like it's coming from the ceiling above the tv instead. I feel like it hits closer to home when watching DTS-X movies like the Bourne Collection. I'm curious if any of you other fellas run a similar setup in a older place with a low ceiling and how you got the best results? I don't know much about fiddling around with placement. I tried eyeballing the angle the speaker fires at the ceiling and should angle toward my seating position. It looks to me like those sounds should be hitting a couple feet ahead of me and it doesn't seem practical in my space to move the couch further forward or the speakers anymore. They are already slightly ahead of the enterainment center.

System is in the signature. Minus the speakers. I'm running a 5.1.2 setup. Pioneer Andrew Jones for everything, but the subwoofer. It's a 300w Pioneer Elite.

P659-G1<RXV685<UB820 l Shield TV l One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-11-2020, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 74
assuming you have the add-on atmos enabled and not the built in (either on the tower or bookshelf as they make both) you can put something under the bottom of the speaker to angle it up more, I used door stops once i figured out where the sound was hitting the ceiling and "reflecting" back down to the floor using a laser pointer and a mirror. Also helps to have flat ceilings, not textured/popcorn. I have popcorn and had to put some sheets of foam poster board on my ceiling to have them hit off something flat. It went from just being a diffused "bigger sound stage" to legit sounds above me.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-12-2020, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoach View Post
assuming you have the add-on atmos enabled and not the built in (either on the tower or bookshelf as they make both) you can put something under the bottom of the speaker to angle it up more, I used door stops once i figured out where the sound was hitting the ceiling and "reflecting" back down to the floor using a laser pointer and a mirror. Also helps to have flat ceilings, not textured/popcorn. I have popcorn and had to put some sheets of foam poster board on my ceiling to have them hit off something flat. It went from just being a diffused "bigger sound stage" to legit sounds above me.
Yeah unfortunataly I have popcorn texture and can lights! I would think going higher would make the angle more acute and drop the sound even further ahead of me.

Wait I think I get what you're saying... Not just shim them up level further, but change the tilt angle of the add ons themselves, correct?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-12-2020, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastCallKillIt View Post
Yeah unfortunataly I have popcorn texture and can lights! I would think going higher would make the angle more acute and drop the sound even further ahead of me.

Wait I think I get what you're saying... Not just shim them up level further, but change the tilt angle of the add ons themselves, correct?
correct, you tilt them up to change the angle to where the sound hits the ceiling moves closer to your seating. so you just raise the back part, not the whole speaker itself.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-29-2020, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoach View Post
correct, you tilt them up to change the angle to where the sound hits the ceiling moves closer to your seating. so you just raise the back part, not the whole speaker itself.
So I spread them a bit out wider and brought them further in and my overhead has improved. They are the set at a pretty steep angle and slide down the door stops. Curious... I wonder if placing them on top of my surrounds would yield nice results. They are at a range that I think they would bounce right down overhead, I would worry that it would cause the sounds to sound like they are coming from the wrong location though (from behind or off to the side).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page