Setting up a new system.. beginner! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-17-2020, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Setting up a new system.. beginner!

Hi,

I've just decided to invest in a proper hi-fi system, daily for playing my vinyl records. As I'm new to this, and setting up a good audio system truly is a jungle - I'd really appreciate some help!! Below is what I have in mind. I'm trying to find a mid-range system, but I really am passionate about music and want the best possible system for a somewhat limited amount ot money. So... what do you think about this? Would this do?

Turntable - Audio Technica LPW50PB
Amplifier - Cambride CXA61
Speakers - Acustic Energy AE1 Active Speakers

All help would be super appreciated!!

Anna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-17-2020, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

correction..

It's suppose to say "mainly playing my vinyl".... Also it would be great to have the option to play some bluetooth Spotify as well at times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna89 View Post
Hi,

I've just decided to invest in a proper hi-fi system, daily for playing my vinyl records. As I'm new to this, and setting up a good audio system truly is a jungle - I'd really appreciate some help!! Below is what I have in mind. I'm trying to find a mid-range system, but I really am passionate about music and want the best possible system for a somewhat limited amount ot money. So... what do you think about this? Would this do?

Anna
post #3 of 8 Old 06-17-2020, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 103
You should be able to go back and edit your first post if you want.

You may get more/better answers from the 2-channel audio forum, which is more focused on systems like you're describing.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/

For Spotify, are you OK with "settling" for bluetooth sound quality?
There are several inexpensive wifi/streaming network adapters for much better sound quality, most of which have Airplay compatibility as well.
If you have audio files stored on a local network or PC serving them, some streamers could play those files.
Examples include:
Phorus PR5 is part of the Play-Fi ecosystem, and adds AirPlay (and bluetooth w/AptX), and can use DLNA servers. It has a DAC onboard an connects via RCA.
Dayton WBA31 is part of a different ecosystem with similar functionality, allows playback from USB storage and has an optical output if you want to use the CXA61 DAC.

Quote:
It's suppose to say "mainly playing my vinyl".... Also it would be great to have the option to play some bluetooth Spotify as well at times

Last edited by philpoe; 06-17-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-18-2020, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I tried to find how but didn't manage.. Thank you for the tip - I'll post in that forum!

To your question.. hm, would that mean then that I wouldn't need an amp with integrated bluetooth? If I could get better sound quality, that of course would be preferable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpoe View Post
You should be able to go back and edit your first post if you want.

You may get more/better answers from the 2-channel audio forum, which is more focused on systems like you're describing.

For Spotify, are you OK with "settling" for bluetooth sound quality?
There are several inexpensive wifi/streaming network adapters for much better sound quality, most of which have Airplay compatibility as well.
If you have audio files stored on a local network or PC serving them, some streamers could play those files.
Examples include:
Phorus PR5 is part of the Play-Fi ecosystem, and adds AirPlay (and bluetooth w/AptX), and can use DLNA servers. It has a DAC onboard an connects via RCA.
Dayton WBA31 is part of a different ecosystem with similar functionality, allows playback from USB storage and has an optical output if you want to use the CXA61 DAC.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-18-2020, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 103
With regard to editing posts, if you look at the bottom left of your original post, you should see an "Edit" button, unless there's a difference on a phone or for new users.

With regard to getting bluetooth or streaming audio:
Using CD as the "standard" for audio quality in terms of bitrate (I'm ignoring higher bandwidth files like FLACs for the moment):
If CDs are uncompressed, high quality streaming audio is compressed a little (think like high-bitrate MP3s), bluetooth with AptX more, "regular" bluetooth even more.
Think of AirPlay like "wifi bluetooth", giving much higher bitrates along the lines of quality MP3s.
I don't recall the bitrates off the top of my head, but the difference in sound quality between each is noticeable for most people if listening closely, but most have to listen very hard to hear the difference between CD and "high quality" MP3/internet streaming.

In short, get one of the streamers and attach it to the CXA61 on a different input than your turntable, and while the streamers I mentioned have bluetooth, the sound quality will be improved if you use AirPlay or their apps to stream audio.
The PR5 has it's own DAC the advertise as high-quality, but would use amp on the CXA61. The WBA31 can either send optical out to the CXA61, using both the DAC and amp, or use its DAC and can send analog out to only use the amp on the CXA61.

There are "high-end" internet streamers costing hundreds to thousands of dollars, but the music they send is still the same bitrate streams these inexpensive ones send. Don't spend more unless there's higher quality music.

Quote:
Thank you! I tried to find how but didn't manage.. Thank you for the tip - I'll post in that forum!

To your question.. hm, would that mean then that I wouldn't need an amp with integrated bluetooth? If I could get better sound quality, that of course would be preferable.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-22-2020, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Hi,

Anna
That is nice equipment but those speakers are active not passive, meaning they don't connect to an amplifier, just a processor they have built in amps.

Music, more music.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-23-2020, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Hi,

Anna
You don't need the Cambridge amp because the speakers have built-in amps. Instead, get a preamplifier. You won't need to buy a phono preamp because the Audio Technica has one built in.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-24-2020, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 3395
Schiit has been getting some high praise of late, at reasonable prices. Get yourself a straight phono preamp (assuming the TT has internal bypass) and be happy (and save a few bucks) or get a more flexible preamp to allow for additional inputs ... if you see that as a future possibility.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-24-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page