Best soundproofing advice with shared apartment - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-20-2020, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best soundproofing advice with shared apartment

Hey All,

First post but these forums have been extremely helpful for me in setting up my theater/rec room in my previous home. Had plans to change some things around but Covid threw a wrench in things and had less time to research/stay on top of My builder while the home was being built the last few months and missed some opportunities.

Still, landed previously on a Benq2050a setup run to a Vizio 5.1.2 atmos sound bar and went with a 110” screen 16:9 and we’ve loved it. Using Apple TV 4K. Might swap the sound bar for another at some point, but it’s good other than the sub being underpowered.

So thanks to all for your posts and recommendations, particularly on the projector selection as I’ve lurked in the background.

Here’s my question: we have a big basement where the theater will be, which happens to share a wall with an accessory apartment (the bathroom and part of the hallway of the apartment) that we’re renting out to a couple
of people. The apartment is roughly 2/3 of the basement and we have the other 1/3. One of the misses with the builder was not adding blow-in insulation between that shared wall. There is only insulation in the ceiling.

Any recommendations on materials/products I can add inside the room to try to keep the sound In as much as possible? The speaker will be on the far wall (non-shared, but parallel to it with the screen) and the sub will be closer to the back near the shared wall. Roughly 18x13 room.

The renters are pretty low key and not home Much but still want to be courteous.

Any info is appreciated, other tips etc.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel
Sorry for any typos with iPhone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-22-2020, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 106
You may want to put sound deadening material in the wall if open to the basement. Even if it's closed, many insulators can drill a hole near the ceiling and blow insulation in.
You could then another sound absorption solution against the shared wall from the basement side, whether a heavy curtain, or a false wall decoupled from the shared wall to absorb all the energy.
You could put some sort of hard baffle blocking the subwoofer energy from reaching the wall while still benefiting the basement theater.
I'm sure one of the theater build forums would have some better ideas.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...-construction/
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...ia-game-rooms/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrid4 View Post
Here’s my question: we have a big basement where the theater will be, which happens to share a wall with an accessory apartment (the bathroom and part of the hallway of the apartment) that we’re renting out to a couple
of people. The apartment is roughly 2/3 of the basement and we have the other 1/3. One of the misses with the builder was not adding blow-in insulation between that shared wall. There is only insulation in the ceiling.

Any recommendations on materials/products I can add inside the room to try to keep the sound In as much as possible? The speaker will be on the far wall (non-shared, but parallel to it with the screen) and the sub will be closer to the back near the shared wall. Roughly 18x13 room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page