Help! Inherited sound system that I want to sell - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-21-2020, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Help! Inherited sound system that I want to sell

Hello all! I am new to this forum, so if I'm in the wrong spot or if you know of anywhere else I could post this message to get some help, please let me know!

A complicated (to me) sound system was left in my apartment that I would like to sell. From what I can tell from light googling it has some pretty expensive equipment (at least at the time of purchase). I'm looking for help in identifying the pieces (I have no idea the year of manufacture) and how much I should sell them for. I'm not looking to make a lot of money, I just want to get them out of the house and if I can earn a few bucks at the same time, then that would be great!

Below is the list of what I can ascertain is included:

1. Denon In Command Series Integrated Network AV Receiver AVR-X3100W (has a No. 40660249)

2. Two PSB tower speakers. Stratus Silver i

3. Two smaller speakers attached to skinny stands. Definitive Technology ProCinema ProMonitor (the number 800 is also on the label, but I don't know what it's in reference to.

4. Rectangular speaker. PSB Stratus C5

Also, is there a (relatively easy) way to test that they are still working? The previous owner said that they work, but it has been a couple of years that they've been collecting dust in a closet. I have a decent understanding of how to connect things, but the complicated dials on the receiver are foreign to me.

Included pictures are of the AV receiver front view, back view, and cable view to show how the cables are cut off (which would probably hinder my ability to test it right?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2337.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	2746500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2336.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	2746502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2335.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	2746504  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-21-2020, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
The only way to test them would be to hook everything up, unfortunately. It's really not as complicated as you'd think. HDMI cable connected to the TV (the far right connector in the last image), an HDMI connected to whatever device you have (cable TV, DVD player, etc...) from any of the HDMI IN slots, and then connect speaker wire from the terminals on the AVR to the speakers. Turn everything on, and on the remote you'd just select whatever input you have things connected. You'd only need to double check the settings on your TV to make sure that it's outputting to an audio system, and not the internal TV speakers.

As far as selling them, I would have a peek here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-audio-gear/

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 | KEF Q650c | KEF Q150 | HSU ULS-15 MK2 | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Fluance RT85 | Ortofon 2M Blue | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
post #3 of 5 Old 06-21-2020, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked: 3009
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/208-classifieds/

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-22-2020, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 106
If testing the equipment proves to be too daunting, you have a couple options:

Post detailed pictures of the other items, especially with brands/markings in this thread. Someone may be able to identify them.

Find a person (neighbor? neighbor's kid? relative? coworker? nearby forum member?) with some technical expertise to help identify and test them.
Use that persons assessment to figure out the price they c/w/should sell for, and give them a commission to do it for you.
Let them worry about where/how to sell it.

Find an ebay consignment seller and do the same
https://pages.ebay.com/rcp/consignmentcenter/#/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Whatley View Post
Hello all! I am new to this forum, so if I'm in the wrong spot or if you know of anywhere else I could post this message to get some help, please let me know!

A complicated (to me) sound system was left in my apartment that I would like to sell. From what I can tell from light googling it has some pretty expensive equipment (at least at the time of purchase). I'm looking for help in identifying the pieces (I have no idea the year of manufacture) and how much I should sell them for. I'm not looking to make a lot of money, I just want to get them out of the house and if I can earn a few bucks at the same time, then that would be great!
post #5 of 5 Old 06-22-2020, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
FTR
a quick check on ebay for the avr, maybe $100
yeah . . . no.

the idea to take pictures and post in the classified is about your best bet.

without being able to claim all in good working condition
tough sell

donate to goodwill and go for the tax deduction

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
identification , receiver , sound system , speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page