Different tweeters in LCR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-21-2020, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Different tweeters in LCR

I have a quick question about having two different styles of tweeters in my LCR speakers....mainly my center which will be the emotiva c2+ when back in stock and I was thinking of getting Ascend CBM-170’s for LR duty. Wanting the 6.5” woofers...am I really going to hear a difference between the dome and the folded tweeter? Especially with the center channel anchoring pretty much everything in a movie....well kind of a open ended question really since everyone hears differently. I guess I’m wondering if it be subtle or a stark difference....or maybe I should just get the B1+ as well....ugh.

So it’s 90% movies 10% music....and I just don’t see a need for towers or even the 340’s in this case...hell I don’t know...I know that I’m set on the C2+ for the center and I’m by no means a timber match purist HOWEVER if there will be a dramatic difference in tweeters then I will stick with the same style.
When the 10% music comes in, I always listen with 2.1 so that’s kind of the reason for sticking with 6.5” woofers for the LR just to have a little more meat on the bones so to speak.

My room is 21’ L x 13’ W x 7.5’ closed off. I have a speedwoofer 10s....for now....will eventually be upgrading to a bigger sub at some point but low on priority as I’m pretty happy with it.

I’m repurposing my CG23’s for another room however keeping my CG3’s in their surround and atmos duties.

Anybody with real world experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-21-2020, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 3395
You might, but odds are probably against it. Unless you have a trained ear that picks up on subtle differences, I doubt you'll notice. That said, if you are using a sub for the 2.1 music, then the 6.5" woofer isn't really a necessity. If you were listening in 2.0, then yes, but not so much with 2.1. Why not get the bookshelf speakers from Emotiva and avoid the issue altogether?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-22-2020, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yeah...of course after typing it all out and thinking about....realizing I pretty much answered my own questions or really decided that I’m pretty much making a mountain out of a mole hill that I’m going to do exactly that, just Going to get the B1’s.

Just was overthinking really...since it’s mainly movies and that the sub will take care of the low end. It’s not that I wasn’t happy with the CG23’s.. I am going to use them in my kids room with my old receiver and sub for them to enjoy their gaming/ tv a notch up....AND it gives me an “excuse” to myself, To get a different LCR set up in our main theater.

Thanks for the reply. It just helps to get a response from others to help confirm things sometimes and not from the wife...HA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page