Home theater design, audio question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-21-2020, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Home theater design, audio question

Hi there,

I am building a home theater in the basement and I am somewhat limited in what I can do because of two areas where there are lally columns.

The room itself is about 17 x 16, which I know is not great but it's what I have.

The lally columns are at the front of the room, roughly 3.5 feet from the left and right side walls, and 5 feet from the front wall.

I am contemplating framing in the columns so that it effectively creates an alcove for the screen and audio. However, at 10.5 feet, the speakers will be right up against the screen and tight to each wall of the alcove.

The tower speakers are Klipsch R28Fs and the screen is a 110" Cirrus Stratus. The projector is an Epson 6050ub.

So here is my question - should I:

1) go ahead with the alcove and treat the ~3.5 feet of alcove wall in front of each speaker

2) frame another wall in the alcove so that the speakers are tight to the screen but flush with the edge of the alcove (reducing the length of the room by about 3.5 feet)

3) just leave the columns as is or frame them as solo columns

I've been going over this in my head and I can't reach a decision. Any help would be appreciated. I have a rough sketch of the options but I'm not sure how to submit photos or links.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-21-2020, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I'm not sure what your budget is, but removing the lally columns might make the whole thing easier, if not expensive
https://hometheaterhifi.com/features...lally-columns/

Otherwise, if you reduce the space of the room by that 3.5ft, can the space be made into any type of convenient storage area, freeing up other used space in the basement?

You may get more expertise and detailed answers in the theater design and construction forum
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...-construction/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icabod View Post
Hi there,

I am building a home theater in the basement and I am somewhat limited in what I can do because of two areas where there are lally columns.

The room itself is about 17 x 16, which I know is not great but it's what I have.

The lally columns are at the front of the room, roughly 3.5 feet from the left and right side walls, and 5 feet from the front wall.

I am contemplating framing in the columns so that it effectively creates an alcove for the screen and audio. However, at 10.5 feet, the speakers will be right up against the screen and tight to each wall of the alcove.

The tower speakers are Klipsch R28Fs and the screen is a 110" Cirrus Stratus. The projector is an Epson 6050ub.

So here is my question - should I:

1) go ahead with the alcove and treat the ~3.5 feet of alcove wall in front of each speaker

2) frame another wall in the alcove so that the speakers are tight to the screen but flush with the edge of the alcove (reducing the length of the room by about 3.5 feet)

3) just leave the columns as is or frame them as solo columns

I've been going over this in my head and I can't reach a decision. Any help would be appreciated. I have a rough sketch of the options but I'm not sure how to submit photos or links.

Thanks in advance
post #3 of 3 Old 06-22-2020, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks a lot for the reply and info. I considered removing the posts 2 but don't really want the expense. The basement is 1400 square feet and there is ample storage, but there are columns around the middle. This was the place, considering the HVAC layout, that made the most sense.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page