Seeking advice on cables and plugs to purchase (Atmos 5.1.2) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ratman

post #1 of 4 Old 06-22-2020, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Seeking advice on cables and plugs to purchase (Atmos 5.1.2)

Hello everyone. I would like suggestions on the right kind of cabling and plugs to get to connect all these pieces together. They are brand new, and I don't know what I'm doing. So any suggestions on what cabling to get to make it go well the first time around would be really appreciated!

LG OLED65C9PUA 65" C9 4K HDR OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ (2019 Model)
Infinity Reference 152 (bookshelf set)
Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Dolby Atmos (upwards firing add-on speakers set)
Infinity Reference RC252 (center)
Infinity Reference RS152 (surround set)
Jamo SUB 210 200W 8" (subwoofer)
Yamaha RX-V685 7.2CH Dolby Atmos DTS Wi-Fi BT eARC 4K Receiver

I have an Xbox One X, a PlayStation 4, and a gaming PC I'm looking to connect into the TV by HDMI.
Then I am hoping that I can just use one HDMI to the receiver to pass through audio.
I plan to connect the Switch, the Chromecast Ultra, and an Amazon FireTV stick to the receiver.

My room is 15' x 13', if that helps. What length of cable should I buy? Which gauge? Do I only need banana plugs? Do I need special HDMI cables?

Thank you ahead if you post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-23-2020, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 103
For the speakers, get 14AWG OFC (oxygen free copper) wire, not CCA (copper clad aluminum). Get a 100' spool and cut to use. You may want to get a cheap cutter/stripper if you don't have a wire cutter as the copper will dull a pair of scissors.
You don't need banana plugs, but it can make attaching/removing convenient.

For the devices, get the appropriate length 18gbps HDMI cable. For the one that connects the TV to the AV receiver, get one with an ethernet channel so that you can use eARC. There may not even be a price premium for ethernet channel any more.
For aesthetic reasons, you might consider connecting the consoles and gaming PC to the AVR instead of the TV, and the chromecast and firestick can probably attach to the TV and be powered by USB ports, hiding behind the TV.
Then you'd only need 1 cable connecting the TV to the AVR, and no extra cables running to the TV. Then you may be able to use shorter cables to connect devices to the AVR.

For the subwoofer, you'll need an RCA cable that reaches from the AV receiver to the sub.

There are plenty of decent brands for cables, but start at monoprice.com to make it easy, or look for amazonbasics on amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasparks View Post
Hello everyone. I would like suggestions on the right kind of cabling and plugs to get to connect all these pieces together. They are brand new, and I don't know what I'm doing. So any suggestions on what cabling to get to make it go well the first time around would be really appreciated!

LG OLED65C9PUA 65" C9 4K HDR OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ (2019 Model)
Infinity Reference 152 (bookshelf set)
Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Dolby Atmos (upwards firing add-on speakers set)
Infinity Reference RC252 (center)
Infinity Reference RS152 (surround set)
Jamo SUB 210 200W 8" (subwoofer)
Yamaha RX-V685 7.2CH Dolby Atmos DTS Wi-Fi BT eARC 4K Receiver

I have an Xbox One X, a PlayStation 4, and a gaming PC I'm looking to connect into the TV by HDMI.
Then I am hoping that I can just use one HDMI to the receiver to pass through audio.
I plan to connect the Switch, the Chromecast Ultra, and an Amazon FireTV stick to the receiver.

My room is 15' x 13', if that helps. What length of cable should I buy? Which gauge? Do I only need banana plugs? Do I need special HDMI cables?

Thank you ahead if you post.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-23-2020, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2921 Post(s)
Liked: 2995
Speaker wire 14AWG
HDMI cable(s)
RCA subwoofer cable
Refer to your manual(s) for a start.
eljaycanuck likes this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-26-2020, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you all for the assistance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version