Will adding stones using grout to a shared drywall help soundproof - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By philpoe
  • 1 Post By Ratman
  • 1 Post By robbyc30
  • 1 Post By A9X-308
  • 1 Post By robbyc30
  • 1 Post By Ratman

post #1 of 17 Old 06-23-2020, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Will adding stones using grout to a shared drywall help soundproof

I live in a condo with a shared drywall measuring 8 x 10. I can't alter the drywall by adding drywall layers (like Quiet Rock) and am looking to find best alternative to helping block noisy neighbors. I was thinking about putting stones on the wall using cement grout (basically a rock wall)...anyone have experience with this helping with soundproofing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-23-2020, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Just to make sure that I understand correctly: You can't add QuietRock, but can cover the wall with grout and stones?

Would it be "simpler" to make a false wall just in front of the condo's real wall, that can be broken down when moving out without affecting the real wall?
(...and put the stones and grout on that?)

Can you add insulation in the wall?

Do you have neighbors above and/or below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp49 View Post
I live in a condo with a shared drywall measuring 8 x 10. I can't alter the drywall by adding drywall layers (like Quiet Rock) and am looking to find best alternative to helping block noisy neighbors. I was thinking about putting stones on the wall using cement grout (basically a rock wall)...anyone have experience with this helping with soundproofing?
Ratman and kp49 like this.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-23-2020, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

I never thought about a false wall...I own the condo, but don't believe I would get HOA approval to add QuietRock. I was thinking about the stone wall because I've already had the base of my kitchen counter covered in rock and can do it for free. But now that you've mentioned it, maybe I would need HOA approval for stones because it's a shared wall. Can't add insulation.

I guess I'm looking for something easy that could block neighbors loud yelling. No problems with ceiling and floor noise (both are concrete).

While my main concern is blocking the loud neighbor, I also want to improve my acoustics and limit any noise from me.. I just ordered a few Rhino acoustic absorption panels with NRC 0.95 to try out. Any thoughts on those? In particular do you think they would be better than thick cork tiles.

Taking the stone wall out of it... I planned on buying a bulky bookshelf with door panels to fill the 8 x 10 space. I figured I'd put the acoustic absorption panels on the wall behind it along with blackout curtains. That would at least help keep my sounds contained, right? I kinda feel like I'm going all over the place. I'm on a tight budget.

Appreciate any thoughts on my setup. I will look into a faux wall too (would that be better than a bookshelf)?

Thanks so much!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-06-23 17.41.43.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2747720  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-23-2020, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked: 3009
Contact the HOA and file a noise complaint.
kp49 likes this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 17 Old 06-23-2020, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the owner just starting renting it out...I've had to complain 3 times...was told owner will be fined.
thanks!
post #6 of 17 Old 06-23-2020, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The bookshelf, curtains, and acoustic panels will do almost nothing to stop sound transmission. It will go right around them. Easiest...another layer of drywall with Green Glue between the layers. Mud, tape, paint...no one will ever know that the wall is 3/4” thicker.
kp49 likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-23-2020, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 1752
None of the above suggestions will make the slightest difference at LF though.
SmittyJS likes this.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
post #8 of 17 Old 06-23-2020, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If the noise from the neighbors is low frequency sound like bass heavy music or movie soundtracks, then yes, more work is needed. Then you need decoupling. Build a new wall, in front of the old wall(leave a gap), insulate it well, then double drywall with Green Glue.
kp49 likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-24-2020, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyc30 View Post
The bookshelf, curtains, and acoustic panels will do almost nothing to stop sound transmission. It will go right around them. Easiest...another layer of drywall with Green Glue between the layers. Mud, tape, paint...no one will ever know that the wall is 3/4” thicker.
Thanks robbyc30...I think I've been in denial about what I need to do. It's gonna take some work, but I need to do it in the long run.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-24-2020, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyc30 View Post
If the noise from the neighbors is low frequency sound like bass heavy music or movie soundtracks, then yes, more work is needed. Then you need decoupling. Build a new wall, in front of the old wall(leave a gap), insulate it well, then double drywall with Green Glue.
I think I'm going to go back to QuietRock with green glue without HOA involvement. Probably have to hire contractor, but will research if I can just do it myself (I only need 3 sheets and an extender for my electrical outlet). Thanks
post #11 of 17 Old 06-24-2020, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I never realized that HOA’s had any say what you do to the interior of your unit.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-24-2020, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, our bylaws say any modification to interior requires approval, but cosmetic things like paint and carpet don't ...I assume adding drywall is a modification.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-24-2020, 10:22 AM

Just my opinion.... I would not choose to live anywhere like that "paradise". Unless, if you (HOA) pay my mortgage and homeowner's premiums, it may be a good deal.
What's the point of owning a home if you can't make it "your" home?
Will they allow a bidet?

Sad. Reminds me of the Seinfeld's and Costanza's residing at Del Boca Vista.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #14 of 17 Old 06-24-2020, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Yeah, our bylaws say any modification to interior requires approval, but cosmetic things like paint and carpet don't ...I assume adding drywall is a modification.
Then request approval.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-24-2020, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 16579
If you can hear them yelling/arguing, record and play it back for them. But then again, they could be diks and not care.

If a cannibal eats a clown, will it taste funny?
post #16 of 17 Old 06-24-2020, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1697 Post(s)
Liked: 2015
Quote:
I think I'm going to go back to QuietRock with green glue without HOA involvement. Probably have to hire contractor, but will research if I can just do it myself (I only need 3 sheets and an extender for my electrical outlet). Thanks
Soundproofing is a pretty much "all-or-nothing" undertaking. Sound quite easily "flanks" around isolation treatments, and unless every step is taken to mitigate flanking, the success of soundproofing efforts will be negligible, especially in the lower frequencies. There is a very long "sticky" thread in the Dedicated Theater, Design and Construction Forum that goes over what it takes to sound-proof a room.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...er-thread.html
Ask your questions there and you'll get very well-informed replies.

Also, The Soundproofing Company has many educational articles. https://www.soundproofingcompany.com/ Click the "Resources" tab.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
My System (Edited Feb. 2020 to add 4K and Atmos updates)
post #17 of 17 Old 06-24-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
If you can hear them yelling/arguing, record and play it back for them. But then again, they could be diks and not care.
I probably side with the dik theory. The HOA will protect them from being loud/vocal/expressing their differences of opinion. Right?

I'd record the yelling and stuff and playback their conversations out my windows for a few hours and be a bigger dik. Less expensive.
PooperScooper likes this.

Last edited by Ratman; 06-24-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page